[FRIAM] ChatGPT and William James

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:18:04 EST 2023

Why does the "agent" have to be the same across the transition from gametes to zygote? Historical transitions exist. Genes are input to humans in the same way, for example, a traumatic injury at age 10 is input to the human at age 20. Theseus' ship, anyone?

I wrote and deleted a long post about deep reinforcement learning in the online tuning of hyperparameters, and the distinction of hyper- from ... oh, IDK, regular old parameters. No self-modifying software required, only [hyper]parameter modifying ... unless we kick the can down the road yet again and argue about the meaning of "software". What does "mean" even mean, as long as we're at it? >8^D

But that discussion doesn't target the incredulity fallacy responses like Frank's make. If there is some definition of "input" that clearly demonstrates humans are different from bots, then it's the burden of those who make the claim to provide the definition. I don't see it. I don't have such a definition. I wish someone would provide it.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ