[FRIAM] emergent mind - ai news by ai

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:47:31 EDT 2023

Right. I put "agree" in scare quotes because I mean it more in terms of "in line with", "alongside", affine to, etc. What should happen, IMNSHO, is equivalent attention should be paid to mechanism-based machine learning, equivalent to the attention that prediction is getting. You know, heuristic vs predictive power. So, I "agree" with the open letter if we interpret what they're saying is "Wait a minute, these bullshit generators don't represent the real power of what ai/ml can do." Sure, we love bullshit. What's the market for fiction? Movies? Books? Etc? It's fscking huge. So, sure. Bullshit generators are great. More power to them.

But we *also* need non-bullshit generators. One avenue for generating non-bullshit is science. (Maybe there are others, but I'm a Scientismist.) It's just plain sad that the (~$45 bil?) budget of the NIH is dwarfed by the movie market (~280 bil?). Granted, some of the movie market is for documentaries ... which are somewhere between complete bullshit [⛧] and science. But whatever. My point is that I line up with the open letter in bemoaning the attention garnered by postmodern chatbots like GPT.

[⛧] Graham Hancock? Lots of "true crime". [sigh]

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ