[FRIAM] crackpots and privilege

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri May 26 16:06:57 EDT 2023

> My grandsons' girlfriends (twenty-somethings) say that they think
> babies are disgusting.  I hope they change their minds.  In any case,
> what does a shortage of babies have to do with AI?

Babies *are* (can be) disgusting, but same for puppies, kitties, and
garden-soil from the right (wrong) perspective!

Maybe the point is "nobody left for the AI overlords to lord over" ?

I think the key is "existential threat"...    I didn't look for
Schmidt's statement anywhere, so I'm just speculating that maybe he's
doing a mild echo of Musk's idea that a collapsing (first) world
population is somehow a *bigger* existential threat?

With my techhead hat on I am inclined to imagine that AI will help me
(well, not ME anymore, but people vaguely like who I once thought I was
or wanted to be) solve micro-techonomic problems like the ones that lead
to Teflon(tm) and Velcro(tm) and higher density/faster-charge EV
batteries, and higher density/dynamic range pixel-displays, and neural
lace to wire (grow?) into my brain/ganglia, and microbes that can
convert moon/mars-dust to Soylent/Huel/Water/??? etc.

My PsychoHistory hatted self (Asimov - Foundation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory_(fictional)> and the
non-fictional variant
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory#:~:text=Psychohistory%20is%20an%20amalgam%20of,stated%20intention%20and%20actual%20behavior.>
) is inclined to imagine that AI *can* help with the "big problems", the
ones nominally too large, too interdisciplinarian, too obtuse, too
"wycked" (In Complexity Science jargon), possibly too counter-intuitive
for most (any?) human or group of humans to grasp.

My Ned Ludd (very tight by definition?) hat has me thinking more down
the rabbit holes of worst-case scenarios where all the arrogant,
narcissistic @$$h0ii3z of the world (starting at the top with those
whose names start with Pu Tr Be Zu Mu(r/s) Ne De ... and staggering down
the hierarchy of potency and scope to most of us here most of the time)
think they "know what is best" and put their resources to using the AI
lever to "make it so"...

Even (especially) me, I constantly imagine that "if they made ME King"
(or to the point, if *I* was the /wormtongue/ in the AI Overlord's ear)
that I would "make the world safe and happy for everyone, ever after
with no unintended consequences or unpleasant side effects".

One *might* guess that the smartest thinkers in the most grounded,
thoughtful, gentle think-tanks (e.g.  in a Tibetan Lamasary or the "Club
of Rome" or SIPRI or CESR or the Justice League of America or the people
who task "jewish space lasers" or ??? ) would be practicing their
AI-whispering skills right now. Maybe tasking Marcus' Quantum Computer
with "the hard problem of universal consciousness"?

  An up-to-date version of Asimov's 9 Billion Names of God
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God> ?