[FRIAM] Comparing negative numbers

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:16:10 EDT 2024

Hi, everybody (anybody),

Many thanks to Russ, Frank, Stephen, and Steve S and others who got in touch with me off line. I try not to bother you guys unless I am pretty desperate, so I guess I was pretty desperate.

A little history: I have been a weather-nerd ever since my early teens when the Worcester Tornado and two substantial hurricanes tracked through Massachusetts in  the early  I am also a gardener, so during the 80's I wrote The Weather-Wise Gardener <https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Wise-Gardener-Understanding-Predicting-Working/dp/087857428X> . Most of my knowledge comes from obsessive reading of forecaster discussions and recently I began to notice terminology creeping in that I did not understand and I began to wonder if I might update the book.  So I began reading weather texts and the numerous wonderful publications of NOAA and the AWS, and sat down to read Mid-latitude Atmospheric Dynamics with a friend from LANL.

I have learned two lessons from this review, one happy, one sad.  The happy one is that my book holds up remarkably well, given its author and its longevity. It not only lays out the basic theory of the time pretty faithfully, but anticipates some ideas that weren’t all that current at the time.  I only detected a few colossal blunders, eg., a failure to honor the difference between centrifugal and Coriolis forces.

The sad discovery was that meteorology is a cesspit of counter intuitive relations.  As altitude goes up, pressure goes down, temperature goes down, potential temperature goes up, potential vorticity (mostly) goes up. As temperatures go down, stability goes down, and clouds go up.  The more moist air is, the lighter air is, but precipitation releases latent heatand makes air lighter.  Both sun angle and daylength contribute to heating but in the winter hemisphere those es work together where as in the summer they work against one another.

Most weather people when dealing with the public obfuscate these problems hideously.  For instance, a TV forecaster will speak about warm air advection aloft.   The air that is advecting is usually pretty cold by human standards, but its potential temperature is warm by the standards of that altitude.  75 degree air in Santa Fe would be 110 degree air in Houston!  Santa Fe air, when it floats out over the plains, produces the temporary capping inversions that allow thunderstorm explosions during Oklahoma afternoons.  In the summer, one can see little pockets of Santa Fe air aloft almost anywhere in the country, and where they occur over pockets of cooler, moister air, the normal venting of diurnal heating to the upper atmosphere is temporarily inhibited with potentially explosive results.

If I do rewrite this book, I will have to explain all of this to the layish (layer?) reader, and this is how I got thinking about my poor cats, Dee and Ess.  What words do I use to explain these dynamics when the signs are going every which way.  I suspect that you-guys learned something crucial while I was engaged in a fruitless struggle to become interested in Chaucer, something about how to make words and numbers work together, something that perhaps one cannot learn in one’s 80’s.

Ah Well,

              Frank and Russ, thanks for working through basic 5th grade mathematics with me and reminding my that if I want to compare two numbers, subtraction is the way and that the order of the subtraction can be manipulated to get any result like, positive or negative.  (Duh!) That’s how desperate I was.

Thanks to Stephen and Steve for honoring  my childlike wonder and my faith that with enough help, even I can learn it.

NIck