[FRIAM] Daniel Dennett (1942-2024)

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 18:15:10 EDT 2024

Stephen,

Thanks for the link to Michael Levin's piece on Dennett. Levin, also at
Tufts <https://as.tufts.edu/biology/people/faculty/michael-levin>, is one
of the most insightful and creative biologists around. The article points
to a joint Aeon piece
<https://aeon.co/essays/how-to-understand-cells-tissues-and-organisms-as-agents-with-agendas>
Levin wrote with Dennett. Even though it was published 3 1/2 years ago,
it's very much worth reading. It will give you a sense of the kind of work
Levin does.It also illustrates Dennett's notion of competence without
comprehension from his From Bacteria to Bach and Back
<https://www.amazon.com/Bacteria-Bach-Back-Evolution-Minds/dp/0393242072>,
published
3 years earlier. The article is a very nice example of the melding of two
minds.

Many will want to maintain that real cognition is what brains do, and what
happens in biochemistry only seems like it’s doing similar things. We
propose an inversion of this familiar idea; the point is not to
anthropomorphise morphogenesis – the point is to naturalise cognition.
There is nothing magic that humans (or other smart animals) do that doesn’t
have a phylogenetic history. Taking evolution seriously means asking what
cognition looked like all the way back. Modern data in the field of basal
cognition makes it impossible to maintain an artificial dichotomy of ‘real’
and ‘as-if’ cognition. There is one continuum along which all living
systems (and many nonliving ones) can be placed, with respect to how much
thinking they can do.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science