[FRIAM] 2000-year-old scrolls

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Thu Feb 8 12:38:49 EST 2024

There is book by Cody Cassidy named "How to Survive History: How to Outrun a Tyrannosaurus, Escape Pompeii, Get Off the Titanic, and Survive the Rest of History's Deadliest Catastrophes".https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/668982/how-to-survive-history-by-cody-cassidy/Sometimes escaping disasters is not what we want though. The Pompeii disaster for instance conserved an ancient Roman city as it was 2000 years ago. And now we can even hope to read their ancient texts. Julian Schilliger, Youssef Nader and Luke Farritor have won the Vesuvius prize of $700,000 because they managed to read an badly charred scroll.https://scrollprize.org/grandprizeThey have used AI and machine learning to decipher the text of 2,000-year-old charred papyrus scripts. The deciphered scrolls contain musings on music, food and life's pleasures.https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00346-8Will people in 2000 years discover books from our time beneath the ruble, for instance Joyce Carol Oates or Craig Johnson, and desperately try to decipher them?-J.