[FRIAM] Bad news about the climate

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Tue Jan 30 03:59:07 EST 2024

I do not claim to be a climate expert :-) My limited knowledge is that climate change and global warming are mainly caused by burning of fossil fuels on a global, unprecedented scale. The burning of fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, is as far as I know the main source of greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide CO2 and methane CH4.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gasTherefore strong and sustained reductions in Greenhouse gas emissions in combination with a rapid transition to renewable energy sources are necessary to limit global warming. I do not see another way around it. In the end this means no more cars, planes, ships, ovens and heatings that burn fossil fuels. Going back to horses and sailing ships for transport seems to be unrealistic, though. The basic facts seem to be simple. 8 billion people burning fossil fuels are causing global warming. Is there a point I have overlooked? What can we do to stop global warming?-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Merle Lefkoff <merlelefkoff at gmail.com> Date: 1/30/24  7:38 AM  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Bad news about the climate Sorry, Jochen, just about everything you recommend will make things worse.  I also wrote about the failure of the climate models almost ten years ago.  You nailed one of the biggest problems, though: even really smart guys don't know shit about global warming.On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 3:11 PM Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:I am not a big fan of Sabine. Her book "Lost in math" is too pessimistic and too negative for me. She earns money from her YouTube video channel. The more sensational the content, the more clicks. That being said I agree that climate change is one of the biggest problems, and the outlook is not good.If we don't act now temperatures will rise inevitably, and there is a real possibility our economies will collapse. But if we prohibit all fossil fuels now our economies will collapse too, because they depend on it. Airplanes, ships, trucks, cars, heatings in our homes, plastic products,... everything is based on fossil fuels. What our leaders do is take they planes and private jets to fly to climate conferences and economic forums where they agree on lofty goals but when they return it is business as usual. What we can do is voting for better politics - besides getting an emission free car, using electric trains and public transport, switching to sustainable energy, using less plastic, etc. Eventually it will also mean less travelling by plane and cruise ships. This means no longer vacation in exotic places - but imagine how much better the air in our cities would be if the majority of cars are emission free.-J.-------- Original message --------From: Russ Abbott <russ.abbott at gmail.com> Date: 1/27/24  10:01 PM  (GMT+01:00) To: ICE - debora shuger <Shuger at gmail.com>, Rob Watson <rnwatson at humnet.ucla.edu>, Richard Abbott <Richard.E.Abbott at gmail.com>, "Michael, Maria, and Luna Abbott-Whitley/Penado" <mabbottwhitley at gmail.com>, Danielle Abbott-Whitley <dlw0129 at gmail.com>, "Whitley, Julian" <jln.whitley at gmail.com>, Dale Shuger <shuger02135 at yahoo.com>, The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: [FRIAM] Bad news about the climate I apologize for this relatively mass email. It was prompted by a video by Sabine Hossenfelder,  Sabine is a theoretical physicist who has spent much of her recent life as a popular science writer and video maker. See her Wikipedia page.The video linked to above talks about climate models. The bottom line is that it appears that most of the current models have underestimated how quickly earth will warm. The consequences are frightening.  -- Russ Abbott                                       Professor Emeritus, Computer ScienceCalifornia State University, Los Angeles
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
-- Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.Center for Emergent Diplomacyemergentdiplomacy.orgSanta Fe, New Mexico, USAmobile:  (303) 859-5609