[FRIAM] A hundred words for swindle

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Mar 31 15:40:00 EDT 2024

RECelf -

    I know I visited your Entropy Liberation Front site before but
    somehow missed you iChing app/workup.   In particular the different
    casting distributions were particularly illuminating.   I favor (out
    of convenience) the six-scored-as-two method and was shocked to see
    in a single glance how different all others are from the
    (traditional/preferred?) yarrow stick

    https://change.elf.org/tests

    Returning to the OS of "swindle", there was a time when I dismissed
    "divination" as nothing more than a mechanism for one to "swindle"
    another or at best for one to "swindle oneself". I've had an early
    Wilhelm/Baynes edition of the I Ching for most of my adult life and
    use it as an occasional tool for introspection and intuition
    exploration.

    In modern, computational terms, it feels a bit like "Reservoir
    Computing" in the sense that the text of the I Ching (or any other
    divinatory or oracular body of work?) is the reservoir, the
    "casting" (including "the question) is the input signal and the
    output is the reading with the *interpretation* being where the
    output layer undergoes "training".   A practiced divinator/oracle
    develops an intuition over many iterative "readings" as to how to
    interpret the reading in-context.

    I happen to be listening to Justice Breyer on Meet the Press (with
    Christen Welker?) expounding on his opinion of "textualism" and
    "rule of law" which probably has some relationship
    (correlated/anti-correlated) with oracular/divinational texts?
    (too)  Many people take the route of treating everything from Golden
    Rule to Hammurabi to Upanishads to Ten Commandments to Torah to
    Koran to Bible to Magna Carta to US (or any) Constitution to case
    law as Oracular/Divination text?

    I do recommend the MTP interview with Breyer demonstrating what I
    suspect "the best" of  our Highest Court should/could be. I'd like
    to think that even the less savory ( to my pinko-liberal palate) of
    the high bench (Thomas/Alito/Kavanaugh/Brown, in descending order?)
    are as able and serious as Breyer came across in this interview...

    His tone was that of the "elder statesman" we all once imagined (or
    ached) to be in the hallowed halls of DC (even if he is a Judge not
    Exec or Legislator)?     He managed a very positive tone/affect
    resisting Welker in spite of her pressing him hard on many things we
    all might want to hear his opinion on.

- SASfrass