<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:"Segoe UI Emoji";
        panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
p.qt-msoplaintext1, li.qt-msoplaintext1, div.qt-msoplaintext1
        {mso-style-name:qt-msoplaintext1;
        margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.font
        {mso-style-name:font;}
span.EmailStyle26
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal>Dave, <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Some really good metaphoring in what you wrote.  Please see larding, below:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Daylight Saving in NM. Ugh. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>N<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal>Nicholas Thompson<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Clark University<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com"><span style='color:#0563C1'>ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/"><span style='color:#0563C1'>https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal> <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=MsoNormal><b>From:</b> Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Prof David West<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, March 8, 2020 1:41 AM<br><b>To:</b> friam@redfish.com<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&quot;tracing ideas to foundations&quot; \u2014 valuable, humbling, essential.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&quot;crap&quot; \u2014 pro forma scholarship only because &quot;The Committee&quot; demands it is crap. The experiences one has when rummaging around the attic of long forgotten texts; the experience of &quot;the serendipity of the stacks&quot; and the insights, illuminations, connections arising from that experience is certainly equal to any drug-mediated experience.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>The problem, for me, I know how to weave a tapestry of understanding, of meaning if you will allow, from rummaging / stacks experiences, but have not figured out how to integrate the experiential threads arising from altered-states mediated experience.&nbsp; My tapestry looks like it has a bad case of moths.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>&quot;sloppy scholars&quot; even in essay form, I try to be conscientious about whose shoulder's I am standing on, and I try to juxtapose quote and interpretation of quote with the standing caveat, &quot;I might be misunderstanding here, but ...&quot;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>davew<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>On Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 5:28 PM, <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a> wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style='margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt' id=qt><div><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>Larding below<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>Nicholas Thompson<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>Clark University<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal>-----Original Message-----<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>From: Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; On Behalf Of Prof David West<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 2:23 AM<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>To: <a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com">friam@redfish.com</a><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>glen,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>As a &quot;trained&quot; academic writer I am forced to &quot;justify&quot; every assertion with voluminous footnotes proving some&quot;Eminent Person&quot; had the idea first.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1><b><i>[NST===&gt;] I would call this, \u201cTracing my ideas back to their foundations.\u201d&nbsp; It\u2019s like finding af chest of ancestral letters in your attic and loosing your self while reading them amongst the dust fuzzies, the cobwebs, and the dad wasps.&nbsp; Also, to be brutally honest, I really love it when some body finds something I wrote a quarter of a century ago and relates it to something they are currently doing.&nbsp; It melts my metaphorical heart.</i></b><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;It was not uncommon to find one of those whose work provided multiple &quot;connection points&quot; and therefore &quot;unified&quot; my work.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>But that is all crap.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1><b><i><span style='color:black'>[NST===&gt;] Naw.&nbsp; Come on Dave.&nbsp; Now you are capitulating to ANTI-academia, which occasionally is alive and well on this list.&nbsp; The experiences of unity one gets from reading long forgotten texts has no LESS potential for illumination than trips to acid-land.&nbsp; So, it\u2019s not CRAP.&nbsp; </span></i></b><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>I stopped writing &quot;papers&quot; a decade or two ago, and now only write essays. I do cite Eminences, but only to the extent that I think they say, more eloquently than I, what I want to say.&nbsp; Of course, that means I often twist or interpret their words for my convenience.<b><i>[NST===&gt;] Yeah.&nbsp; I do this too.&nbsp; But I\u2019m not sure I am proud of it.&nbsp; My son is a Wittgenstein scholar and he rightly shudders when I quote W. without fully understanding what was meant by the words in the context in which they actually appeared.&nbsp; Never mind their place in the biography of W.&nbsp; I don\u2019t think we sloppy scholars ought to be put to death, but I do think we should be a bit humble about what we do.&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;</i></b>&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>davew<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 3:34 PM, u\u01ddl\u0183 <span class=font><span style='font-family:"Segoe UI Emoji",sans-serif'>\u2623</span></span> wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; Interesting. I'm skeptical that it *unifies* your work so much as it<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; *abstracts* your work into a fuzzy/vague thing that seems like it<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; unifies your work. That's the risk with unification and what I call<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; Grand Unified Models (GUMs). To produce an actual unification, you<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; have to show the details for how the general model specializes into<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; the fully operational particular models. If you can't do that<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; *completely*, with no hand-waving, then it's not really a unification<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; but an abstraction.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; I'm not anti-abstraction. But I find it useful to contrast the two.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; The ideas you advocate here, which you claim are Peircian, seem<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; *unapplicable* to any detailed work. I haven't read much of your<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; writing and am unfamiliar with the work being unified. So, I could be<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; laughably wrong, here. But one litmus test I use, if/when I start to<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; obsess over any single/unitary thing (like you obsess over Peirce), is<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; to do a what-if exercise and pretend that unitary thing doesn't exist.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; Try to remove all the tendrils of that thing from whatever I do/think.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; If, once I've done that, the things I do/think remain and don't<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; crumble away, then maybe it's a necessary obsession.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; It seems to me like we could get to what you want absent Peirce. His<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; work is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. And in some situations,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; obsessing too much over nice-to-haves slows the travel to the<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; destination.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; On 3/5/20 7:39 PM, <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com"><span style='color:windowtext'>thompnickson2@gmail.com</span></a> wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; &gt; I write and think about Peirce, for instance, because his work connects several disparate threads in my own work which seemed unrelated until I read him.&nbsp; He unifies me.&nbsp; Talking to you guys helps me digest all of that.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; --<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; <span class=font><span style='font-family:"Segoe UI Emoji",sans-serif'>\u2623</span></span> u\u01ddl\u0183<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; ============================================================<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv Meets Fridays 9a-11:30 at cafe<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; at St. John's College to unsubscribe<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; archives back to 2003: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt; FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></a> by Dr. Strangelove<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&gt;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>============================================================<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>Meets Fridays 9a-11:30 at cafe at St. John's College to unsubscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>archives back to 2003: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=qt-msoplaintext1>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"><span style='color:windowtext'>http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></a> by Dr. Strangelove<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>============================================================<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>Meets Fridays 9a-11:30 at cafe at St. John's College<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>to unsubscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>archives back to 2003: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a> by Dr. Strangelove<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></blockquote><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>