<div dir="auto">In the paper by Glymour I mentioned the point of view (not necessarily his) that we are zombies who tell our bodies to go thataway a few milliseconds after they&#39;ve already taken off in that direction.<div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">This is one of the steelman theories of mental causation he discusses.  If I&#39;m using the term correctly.<br><br><div data-smartmail="gmail_signature" dir="auto">---<br>Frank C. Wimberly<br>140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br>Santa Fe, NM 87505<br><br>505 670-9918<br>Santa Fe, NM</div></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 3:20 PM glen\u2209\u2102 &lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Exactly! If humans have free will, we can program a machine to have it too (someday, anyway). And since we don&#39;t know how to *construct* free will and the evidence against it is accumulating, it&#39;s reasonable to claim it doesn&#39;t exist and the burden is increasingly on those who believe in it to make their case.<br>
<br>
But note that the construction I spitballed does NOT define free will as spontaneous. It&#39;s cumulative. In fact, that construction rejects the idea that free will is spontaneous in any way.<br>
<br>
On 6/16/20 1:39 PM, <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a> wrote:<br>
&gt; Yes.  I don&#39;t think Nick is every going to write such a paper (as opposed, say, to participating along with a bunch of you in writing such a book).  However, as I work through the correspondence of the last week (Gawd what a splatter), I have yet to see any support for the idea that there is any fundamental reason why a computer could not be constructed to exhibit any free will that humans have.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It begins to seem to me that &quot;free will&quot; and &quot;emergence&quot; are the same sort of concept and likely to die by the same sword.  Once you define &quot;free will&quot; as that which is &quot;spontaneous&quot; (i.e., not explained by anything), you have to prepare yourself for the moment when it is explained.<br>
<br>
- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  <a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
un/subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
archives: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a> <br>
</blockquote></div>