<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
        margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.PlainTextChar
        {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
        mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-US link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72" style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoPlainText>Hi, All, <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>If any of you had any spare brain time, I am interested in &nbsp;the attached <a href="https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a6e9c10b-06dc-4ea1-8ffa-d450df62489a">VERY SHORT</a> article:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>I am struggling here with the idea of &quot;screening off&quot;. &nbsp;Does it mean more or less than the following:&nbsp; Granted that, If I had ham, and I had eggs, I would have ham and eggs, having eggs screens off having ham from having ham and eggs?&nbsp; &nbsp;Screening off seems a very odd metaphor.&nbsp; Is it a term of art in logic?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>Also, a general problem I have with causality:&nbsp; My understanding of causality is that event A can cause event B&nbsp; if and only if A is independently known from B (an event cannot cause itself) AND occurs prior to B&nbsp; Now imagine &nbsp;two perfectly meshed gears, such that motion in one is instantly conveyed to the other.&nbsp; I turn gear A and gear B turns.&nbsp; Has the motion in A <i>caused</i> the turning of B or has my turning of A caused the motion of B?&nbsp; With the gears, this may just seem like a fussy &#8220;in the limit&#8221; sort of question, but there seem to be other phenomena where it&#8217;s worth asking.&nbsp; Does the discharge of potential along the ionized (?) path CAUSE the lightning?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>I realize that the rest of you have spouses, dogs, cats, hobbies, and day jobs, but any off hand thoughts you have on these matters would be greatly appreciated. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>Nick <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>You can view &quot;PM-2017-MethodologicalBehaviorismCausalChainsandCausalForks(1).pdf&quot; at: <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><a href="https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a6e9c10b-06dc-4ea1-8ffa-d450df62489a">https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a6e9c10b-06dc-4ea1-8ffa-d450df62489a</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>________________<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoPlainText>Sent with Adobe Document Cloud. Click on the link above to access the file online. No sign up or installation of Acrobat is required to access.<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>