<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class="">What did Obama say in that last Correspondents\u2019 Dinner speech?<div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">~\u201dI said at the start of my presidency that I hoped that the discourse in our politics would change.</div><div class="">In hindsight I realize I should have been more specific.\u201d</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Eric<br class=""><div><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><div class="">On Feb 10, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Frank Wimberly &lt;<a href="mailto:wimberly3@gmail.com" class="">wimberly3@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=""><div dir="auto" class="">I was warning you not to bring up spark plugs and other BS that made the example lack causal sufficiency thereby muddying the water unhelpfully.&nbsp; I guess the warning was too vague.<br class=""><br class=""><div data-smartmail="gmail_signature" class="">---<br class="">Frank C. Wimberly<br class="">140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br class="">Santa Fe, NM 87505<br class=""><br class="">505 670-9918<br class="">Santa Fe, NM</div></div><br class=""><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Feb 10, 2021, 12:34 PM  &lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" class="">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br class=""></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple" style="word-wrap:break-word" class=""><div class="m_-7145487006410639883WordSection1"><p class="MsoNormal">So the presence and absence of spark Plugs screens off cart Starting from the Gas tank and the Battery charge.&nbsp; To put in terms of ANOVA, there is no additivity of variance in the effects of G, B, and P upon S.&nbsp; One could, of course, achieve additivity by partitioning the variance into the various interactions in G, B, and P\u2019s effects upon (Pr S).&nbsp; Or is the analogy between ANOVA and Currying completely without merit. <u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal">This only demonstrates further that FRIWWMFTT.&nbsp; <u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal">N<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal">Nick Thompson<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class=""><span style="color:#0563c1" class="">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a><u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwordpress.clarku.edu%2fnthompson%2f&amp;c=E,1,8ZVHYJOxFQdqB408LncU-IHH7iW4m_6Fs-3BFVuX7zjWgDI8PHXJJgi575b7Bp95LJznJXUZbfqxFPlwPpC23OX9fH71wmhVpb0Jy_WKEDU,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class=""><span style="color:#0563c1" class="">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a><u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><div style="border:none;border-top:solid #e1e1e1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in" class=""><p class="MsoNormal"><b class="">From:</b> Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; <b class="">On Behalf Of </b>Frank Wimberly<br class=""><b class="">Sent:</b> Wednesday, February 10, 2021 1:15 PM<br class=""><b class="">To:</b> The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;<a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">friam@redfish.com</a>&gt;<br class=""><b class="">Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] PM-2017-MethodologicalBehaviorismCausalChainsandCausalForks(1).pdf<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></div><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal">Nick,&nbsp;<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p></div><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal">Somehow I don't relate to the sandwich case.&nbsp; Is having ham and having eggs different from having ham and eggs.<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></div><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p></div><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal">Your second question may be related to the following:&nbsp; if A and B are both causes of C then A and B are not independent given C.&nbsp; Let C be "car starts", A be "gas in tank" and B be "battery charged".&nbsp; If you know there's gas in the tank and you observe that the car starts then you infer whether the battery is charged.&nbsp; There are numerous ways to object to this which are irrelevant.&nbsp; "What if the spark&nbsp; plugs are missing?"&nbsp; Etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></div><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p></div><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Frank<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal">---<br class="">Frank C. Wimberly<br class="">140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br class="">Santa Fe, NM 87505<br class=""><br class="">505 670-9918<br class="">Santa Fe, NM<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></div></div></div><p class="MsoNormal"><u class=""></u>&nbsp;<u class=""></u></p><div class=""><div class=""><p class="MsoNormal">On Wed, Feb 10, 2021, 11:50 AM &lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></div><blockquote style="border:none;border-left:solid #cccccc 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in" class=""><p class="MsoNormal">Thanks, Glen, <br class=""><br class="">You consistently give me thoughts to chew on.&nbsp; Your introduction of "point of view' into the conversation is a "New Thought" for me, and I am grateful for it.&nbsp; In particular, it makes apt the metaphor of screening off.&nbsp; So, let it be the case that a third variable, C, also affects B.&nbsp; In that case, one could not make predictions about&nbsp; B to A without knowing about C.&nbsp; Thus, C screens off A from B.&nbsp; I think I get it.&nbsp; <br class=""><br class="">Nick&nbsp; &nbsp;<br class=""><br class="">Nick Thompson<br class=""><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</a><br class=""><a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwordpress.clarku.edu%2fnthompson%2f&amp;c=E,1,OrsxKfdI3LeRPM_qfSqe8Rl6y2adxLJFbibaCZXqeLfm3KZesrL7roha4_U23io45aSuSggnfgFo0RmN-WEbZYj1UcYhUALcKtOnoIYoyPG_GCA,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</a><br class=""><br class="">-----Original Message-----<br class="">From: Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; On Behalf Of u?l? ???<br class="">Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 12:00 PM<br class="">To: <a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">friam@redfish.com</a><br class="">Subject: Re: [FRIAM] PM-2017-MethodologicalBehaviorismCausalChainsandCausalForks(1).pdf<br class=""><br class="">I think I have useful things to say about it. But who knows for sure?<br class=""><br class="">I regard this sort of screen as if *from* the present looking into the past. From the perspective of the 3rd node, can you *see* the 1st node? Or can you only see the 2nd node? (I think I alluded to this in my post about Barbour's "Janus Point".)<br class=""><br class="">As to the meshed gears, as usual, it's useful to crack cause into multiple meanings like agency vs material, formal, and final. But you can also adopt a perspective. From the 2nd gear's perspective, the 1st gear is causing it to move. From the 1st gear's perspective, you are causing it to move. And from a multi-gear perspective, either you *or* the designer is causing the 2nd gear to move. Scoping, scoping, scoping, scoping.<br class=""><br class=""><br class="">On 2/10/21 9:06 AM, <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a> wrote:<br class="">&gt; Hi, All,<br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt;&nbsp; <br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt; If any of you had any spare brain time, I am interested in&nbsp; the attached VERY SHORT &lt;<a href="https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a6e9c10b-06dc-4ea1-8ffa-d450df62489a" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a6e9c10b-06dc-4ea1-8ffa-d450df62489a</a>&gt; article:<br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt;&nbsp; <br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt; I am struggling here with the idea of "screening off".&nbsp; Does it mean more or less than the following:&nbsp; Granted that, If I had ham, and I had eggs, I would have ham and eggs, having eggs screens off having ham from having ham and eggs?&nbsp; &nbsp;Screening off seems a very odd metaphor.&nbsp; Is it a term of art in logic?<br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt;&nbsp; <br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt; Also, a general problem I have with causality:&nbsp; My understanding of causality is that event A can cause event B&nbsp; if and only if A is independently known from B (an event cannot cause itself) AND occurs prior to B&nbsp; Now imagine&nbsp; two perfectly meshed gears, such that motion in one is instantly conveyed to the other.&nbsp; I turn gear A and gear B turns.&nbsp; Has the motion in A /caused/ the turning of B or has my turning of A caused the motion of B?&nbsp; With the gears, this may just seem like a fussy \u201cin the limit\u201d sort of question, but there seem to be other phenomena where it\u2019s worth asking.&nbsp; Does the discharge of potential along the ionized (?) path CAUSE the lightning?<br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt;&nbsp; <br class="">&gt; <br class="">&gt; I realize that the rest of you have spouses, dogs, cats, hobbies, and day jobs, but any off hand thoughts you have on these matters would be greatly appreciated.<br class=""><br class="">--<br class="">\u2199\u2199\u2199 u\u01ddl\u0183<br class=""><br class="">- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .<br class="">FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br class="">Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6&nbsp; <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&amp;c=E,1,GsOWLPXJQPrmZYjjChycH0RqbFjLXxVjIS8JcjY4bpb0ZLSkXWfDOQgvyJVJ61Ks6equOs0CHaNUIAbS9AzImFveQroZLkk5rDEWtlBPqQM6NoBsljDmxA,,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a> un/subscribe <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,0EoyvF4VOXOXRCQ6HWfXGVlC5Fqf5Mn6XF6u1LYvWNpDDrCKy852KrzvIjiaVupdGnZ8pjrxQ_qRchWCFnlJQAmIhJx75jYUAOUMKJYE6NIzUP8,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br class="">FRIAM-COMIC <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,_NjX56BCDcKbbsvcQowm6R1HxbcV4-pJmSI3n8mqnEAIKNHv_kmDiYQmAwSaJrkqyJXo8VgK8Kc7Dft7MckaKNy1iAiQv7fcppwu7piAqYf0hhHN7Q,,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br class="">archives: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><br class=""><br class=""><br class="">- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .<br class="">FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br class="">Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6&nbsp; <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&amp;c=E,1,ye5KqgG7IqLr1jshnf4SDPWN_GSoAQBtH12fMBUUmGVOkn-Srl6C7Gtyj3imkM1y8GCGDbRzUXIm_etlBPQi7B1aj0YxgMHlG5zbUDNYBTFLDyFdsFrynmgw3epN&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br class="">un/subscribe <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,VZxRzeFFB19QFYqNCjRXQDDjI56alKp5ueBFqOUZ8ETtELtOZ-NAx8l6SmUo-RsepNlBjQN19l7QoKNH8j0XAIB7M25EzDQZYe0qT53R9Q,,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br class="">FRIAM-COMIC <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,m2myzUj-4obvEmvjCWm3fg9VFXpAlLbIxZ-OsE-TDv_EqQugauwD1D9QPtTLCo1AVwGxHYk0vQyjwjuqF5W2zfPANGIQWZmF5al1e9IB3PE,&amp;typo=1" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br class="">archives: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" class="">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><u class=""></u><u class=""></u></p></blockquote></div></div></div>- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .<br class="">
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br class="">
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6&nbsp; <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&amp;c=E,1,7IuHIsLhOFzkU9fxrxGn-kUsPS3DdSzLYGfZdw0-gAx-salEmBsaFdX0w2McKR_Hx8VCLOKKjwTdwsQ8kGVX2KAvs189MYlnHgE-WKzgvjvk&amp;typo=1" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank" class="">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br class="">
un/subscribe <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,-A-3H6imWmKLlqLRalCsqrJFBwgws1a4T4O7OnyXtLEcPJGCUhycQbTJjV-FgjO9VluT8VCNjT8YnvZ-2SiptEqb53cEE-4MyZywG8XHz3RDHS6RwoIT2EzwoQ,,&amp;typo=1" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank" class="">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br class="">
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,nFOSkTG_bu5iW_In0YOhTQUHfTnYRvIvIbBAGK4ztjrla3JmEdwEefcQOUQkW0BNZkAnBlcFyHNBAzBeG5HJFoBErw5Xv-P1zDlXqN6vpA3X&amp;typo=1" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank" class="">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br class="">
archives: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank" class="">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><br class="">
</blockquote></div>
- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .<br class="">FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br class="">Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6 &nbsp;<a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam" class="">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br class="">un/subscribe <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,1kYqdSXpUDF7niDEu4A7oaeSnh-GhBN-L3KF2Q8eeOB0pTzzIFBG-evTqSpj0n476HlDnxBZF9ZgktUHW_Sl3kKTRHcwiFt7jr12AVhr8yEEvDnFhnY,&amp;typo=1" class="">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,1kYqdSXpUDF7niDEu4A7oaeSnh-GhBN-L3KF2Q8eeOB0pTzzIFBG-evTqSpj0n476HlDnxBZF9ZgktUHW_Sl3kKTRHcwiFt7jr12AVhr8yEEvDnFhnY,&amp;typo=1</a><br class="">FRIAM-COMIC <a href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,7DXpKFZhT86c1P3D77mvyGDoxd6pzkbVWsiYENktcVsMCWSL_rSrBdU2ovU43kYqYYPpOLeMYu1DI88iMD3FQjprFwlZK1JJCHKG0lyn-QPXD9vUvxLLYg,,&amp;typo=1" class="">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,7DXpKFZhT86c1P3D77mvyGDoxd6pzkbVWsiYENktcVsMCWSL_rSrBdU2ovU43kYqYYPpOLeMYu1DI88iMD3FQjprFwlZK1JJCHKG0lyn-QPXD9vUvxLLYg,,&amp;typo=1</a><br class="">archives: <a href="http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/" class="">http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/</a><br class=""></div></blockquote></div><br class=""></div></body></html>