<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="auto">There was a time in the 8th century in the Islamic Golden Age when Baghdad was the center of the scientific world during the Abbasid Caliphate. For science to prosper there must be a culture which values knowledge and freedom.</div><div dir="auto">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbasid_Caliphate</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Knowledge is based on language and stored in books. In Baghdad there was at the time a "house of wisdom", a mix between library and university&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wisdom</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">The scholars used a form of dialectic debate called "kalam", which is a bit similar to the Jewish method of hevruta/havruta in which a small group of students discuss and debate a shared text</div><div dir="auto">https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/sep/26/baghdad-centre-of-scientific-world</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">-J.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div><br></div><div align="left" dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000"><div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: thompnickson2@gmail.com </div><div>Date: 9/25/21  20:23  (GMT+01:00) </div><div>To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;, kitchenlist@liste.unisa.it </div><div>Subject: [FRIAM] Islam-Science-Muslims-and-Technology-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr-in-Conversation-with-Muzaffar-Iqbal-2009.pdf </div><div><br></div></div><div class="WordSection1"><p>Dear Colleagues,&nbsp; </p><p>Because of an interest some of you expressed in Islamic science, I ran down the text linked below.&nbsp; It is an entire book, and I have read only the first chapter, but I found that fascinating.&nbsp; It is a sort of airing of linen concerning the role of science in the modern Islamic world that tracks in&nbsp; interesting ways the recent American ambivalence about science.&nbsp; &nbsp;This first chapter is both unsettling and very familiar at the same time.&nbsp; </p><p><a href="http://traditionalhikma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Islam-Science-Muslims-and-Technology-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr-in-Conversation-with-Muzaffar-Iqbal-2009.pdf">http://traditionalhikma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Islam-Science-Muslims-and-Technology-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr-in-Conversation-with-Muzaffar-Iqbal-2009.pdf</a></p><p>Ok, just to give you sense of one of the places it leaves <b><i>me</i></b>:&nbsp; If the fault of western science is that it is laced with&nbsp; unacknowledged western values, what would a science that acknowledged its values look like.&nbsp; I have argued that the science we practice is absurdly dualistic (given that we have only one source of information).&nbsp; But it is unclear to me how \u201cdualism\u201d is a value.&nbsp; Is the \u201crape of nature\u201d and all that follows implicit in dualism?&nbsp; I wish I could claim that if I turn you all into monists, you will all become wind=turbine fanatics, but I don\u2019t think that\u2019s the case. &nbsp;&nbsp;Do values guide what we do or are they just the heavy artillery that we muster to convince others to do what we have done?&nbsp; </p><p>See what you think?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Nick </p></div></body></html>