<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="auto">Interesting point. What do the others think?&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I think if you start with an "X" at the top and consider the X as your agent and the space to the left and right as the environment then yes, we would have a kind of stygmergy model for an agent which interacts in a two dimensional world (one space and one time dimension). It is a rather limited model though. I am not sure if it is useful :-/</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">-J.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div><br></div><div align="left" dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000"><div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: thompnickson2@gmail.com </div><div>Date: 10/19/21  21:28  (GMT+01:00) </div><div>To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt; </div><div>Subject: Re: [FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development </div><div><br></div></div><div class="WordSection1"><p class="MsoNormal">Thanks, Jochen, for answering.&nbsp; </p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class="MsoNormal">Let me try to stretch the point and see if I can bring you on board.&nbsp; In the first place, mimimally, stygmergy need not involve sociality.&nbsp; So, If I go out on a hike and cut blazes on trees on my way out so I can find my way home, that is stygmergy in good standing, right?&nbsp; </p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class="MsoNormal">Now let\u2019s try a very simple ca where the rule is, if nothing is written, write x; if x, white o beside; if o, write x beside.&nbsp; </p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="text-align:center" align="center" class="MsoNormal">X</p><p style="text-align:center" align="center" class="MsoNormal">OXO</p><p style="text-align:center" align="center" class="MsoNormal">XOXOX </p><p style="text-align:center" align="center" class="MsoNormal">ETC.&nbsp; </p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class="MsoNormal">Now, if we consider what is written at each stage as a thing put out in the environment and the \u201crules\u201d what the organism brings to the table&nbsp; then each line is the joint product of the previous line and the rule, hence stygmergy.&nbsp; </p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class="MsoNormal">Am I stretching a point.&nbsp; Is everything not stygmergy?</p><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p class="MsoNormal">N</p><p style="text-align:right" align="right" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><div><p class="MsoNormal">Nick Thompson</p><p class="MsoNormal"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com"><span style="color:#0563C1">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a></p><p class="MsoNormal"><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/"><span style="color:#0563C1">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a></p></div><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><div><div style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in"><p class="MsoNormal"><b>From:</b> Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Jochen Fromm<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, October 19, 2021 1:05 PM<br><b>To:</b> The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development</p></div></div><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><div><p class="MsoNormal">No, CAs are not a good model for stygmergy IMHO. Stygmergy is as Wikipedia says a mechanism of indirect coordination through the environment. For example: ants which exploit a food source by following a pheromone trail. Or termites which build a nest.&nbsp;</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><br>In Cellular Automata there is no clear distinction between agent and environment. They are just a grid of states which evolves step by step by updating the cells with a transition rule or function.<br><br>The other type of collective intelligence besides stygmergy is swarm formation. The individual member is attracted to the group as a whole but repelled by other individuals. You know the classic Boids rules which govern fish swarms and bird flocks: "stay close to the group but keep away from your neighbors".<br><br>For more complex things you probably need a code. If the individuals are smart, then a few rules are enough - holy books have typically only a few MB. If the individuals are lifeless molecules, then the code can be several GB (a human genome has roughly 3 GB).</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal">Hope that helps a bit? You are lucky to have such a smart grandson! I believe Frank has grandchildren too.<br><br>Jochen</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">-------- Original message --------</span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">From: <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a> </span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Date: 10/19/21 20:15 (GMT+01:00) </span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' &lt;<a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com">friam@redfish.com</a>&gt; </span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">Subject: [FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development </span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:black">&nbsp;</span></p></div><div><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Friends,</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Beware.&nbsp; As usual, I am trying to get you to think for me.</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">My grandson is working on a regeneration project in his freshman biolab &nbsp;(Planaria) and his sources and texts are replete with cognitive language like \u201csignal\u201d and \u201cmemory\u201d etc., which implies that as the worm regenerates it is influenced by a guiding idea of what it is producing.&nbsp; My basic intuition, as you know, that this doesn\u2019t happen in human cognition, let alone worm regeneration and that processes that produce a functional head from a slice of the rear end of a flatworm have no idea what they are doing even when they are done.&nbsp; Thus I imagine an advancing edge of structure with each new bit influencing the rules by which the next bit .&nbsp; Which, of course, puts me in mind both of stygmergy and of Cellular Automata.&nbsp; So to my questions:</p><p class="quotation">Are Cellular Automata a good model for Stygmergy?</p><p class="quotation">Is Stygmergy a good model for organismic development?&nbsp; </p><p class="quotation">Why? Or Why not?&nbsp; Discuss. </p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Also, is there a good website, citizen-friendly, steep learning curve, where my grandson and I could explore the relation between developmental processes and ca\u2019s.&nbsp; I looked at &nbsp;NewLogo Library and did not find there any models of regeneration, but may not have known where to look.&nbsp; I did find <a href="https://distill.pub/2020/growing-ca/">THIS</a>&nbsp; which deep down in the Table of Contents seemed to have three regeneration models including one named \u201cPlanaria\u201d, but I could no see how to go further with it.&nbsp; If somebody could have a look at it and give me some tips for how to use it, I would be ever so grateful. </p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Good to be back. </p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Nick </p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">Nick Thompson</p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</a></p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal"><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</a></p><p style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto" class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p></div></div></body></html>