<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
p.quotation, li.quotation, div.quotation
        {mso-style-name:quotation;
        mso-style-link:"quotation Char";
        margin-top:0in;
        margin-right:0in;
        margin-bottom:0in;
        margin-left:.5in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        font-style:italic;}
span.quotationChar
        {mso-style-name:"quotation Char";
        mso-style-link:quotation;
        font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        font-style:italic;}
span.EmailStyle20
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-US link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72" style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal>Friends, <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Beware.&nbsp; As usual, I am trying to get you to think for me. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>My grandson is working on a regeneration project in his freshman biolab &nbsp;(Planaria) and his sources and texts are replete with cognitive language like &#8220;signal&#8221; and &#8220;memory&#8221; etc., which implies that as the worm regenerates it is influenced by a guiding idea of what it is producing.&nbsp; My basic intuition, as you know, that this doesn&#8217;t happen in human cognition, let alone worm regeneration and that processes that produce a functional head from a slice of the rear end of a flatworm have no idea what they are doing even when they are done.&nbsp; Thus I imagine an advancing edge of structure with each new bit influencing the rules by which the next bit .&nbsp; Which, of course, puts me in mind both of stygmergy and of Cellular Automata.&nbsp; So to my questions:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=quotation>Are Cellular Automata a good model for Stygmergy?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=quotation>Is Stygmergy a good model for organismic development?&nbsp; <span style='font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=quotation>Why? Or Why not?&nbsp; Discuss. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Also, is there a good website, citizen-friendly, steep learning curve, where my grandson and I could explore the relation between developmental processes and ca&#8217;s.&nbsp; I looked at &nbsp;NewLogo Library and did not find there any models of regeneration, but may not have known where to look.&nbsp; I did find <a href="https://distill.pub/2020/growing-ca/">THIS</a>&nbsp; which deep down in the Table of Contents seemed to have three regeneration models including one named &#8220;Planaria&#8221;, but I could no see how to go further with it.&nbsp; If somebody could have a look at it and give me some tips for how to use it, I would be ever so grateful. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Good to be back. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Nick <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Nick Thompson<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>