<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:#333333">I suppose the slogan could be:<br>&quot;Proofs are to propositions as identities are to agents&quot;,<br>and in the context of zero knowledge protocols, the parallel extends to:<br><br>\u03c6: Verifying a proof without exposing the proof.<br>\u03c8: Verifying an identity without exposing the identity.<br><br>To the degree that \u03c6 is the case and that the formal analogy connecting<br>\u03c6 to \u03c8 holds, I suspect ZKP is sufficient for establishing self-sovereign<br>identity.<br><br>In practice, I imagine that to each agent a provable proposition (of<br>some significant computational complexity[\u03ba]) is assigned. The statement<br>is then converted into a 3-coloring problem[\u0417] while the proof is<br>transformed into an instance of one such 3-coloring. The rest is pressing<br>plates. It seems worth mentioning that just as a proposition may have<br>many proofs, an agent may have many identities.<br><br>A thing that has always impressed me about ZKP is that the verification<br>process is constrained to be a local process. That is, at no point does<br>the verifier get a global picture[\u03bb] of the proof (as that would give the<br>proof away) and instead, in the spirit of a Las Vegas algorithm, one<br>verifies only up to taste.<br><br>For those interested, I highly recommend this numberphile episode:<br><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovdoxnfFVc&amp;ab_channel=Numberphile2">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovdoxnfFVc&amp;ab_channel=Numberphile2</a><br><br>[\u03ba] Where the proposition is about products of RSA group elements, some<br>discrete log problem, or some other trapdoor function.<br><br>[\u03bb] In my much earlier post to Nick on limits of inference, I attempted<br>to connect this locality to physical limitations such as light cones,<br>and propositions to phenomena like spin. Unfortunately, EricC shrugged<br>and nothing more came of it ;)<br><br>[\u0417] <a href="http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.419.8132&amp;rep=rep1&amp;type=pdf">http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.419.8132&amp;rep=rep1&amp;type=pdf</a><br></div></div>