<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:#333333">&quot;&quot;&quot;<br>The problem for me with this view is that I don&#39;t understand how seeing<br>pheromone as &#39;organizing itself in space&#39; is intuitively useful.<br>&quot;&quot;&quot;<br><br>I suppose that even if I didn&#39;t find this view *useful*, which I do and<br>will attempt to explain momentarily, I continue to find that it offers<br>a theoretical completeness that I find aesthetically compelling. Much<br>like magnetism and electricity can appear as distinct phenomena or as<br>two aspects of an integrated whole, stigmergy points to a similar duality<br>between agent and environment, another integrated whole. Lifting to such<br>a perspective offers insights into a class of possible implementations,<br>all preserving the underlying dynamics.<br><br>For instance, when attempting to reason about the ant-pheromone system,<br>I find it useful to view the ants as inefficient *raster-like* update<br>to the state, but of course one could also choose a less brownian,<br>less resource-limited or less discrete approach. For instance, I believe<br>it makes the analysis more clear if we instead picture a continuum of<br>ants acting on the space and begin with pheromone of very little effect.<br>Then slowly turning up the potency, we begin to see the pheromone<br>organize and as a side-effect (and as an epiphenomenon from my view)<br>the ants follow suit. To view the ants as an implementation detail, for<br>me, yields clarity into the problem, while the pheromone takes the role<br>of first class citizens in the ABM.<br><br>&quot;&quot;&quot;<br>Toward the end, you wrote, &quot;I only meant to emphasize that stigmergy<br>appears to me as a local concept.&quot; I&#39;m not sure what that means.<br>&quot;&quot;&quot;<br><br>By local, I mean local as it often manifests in mathematics, but I<br>gather that you would prefer a different tack. Here I am referring to a<br>pair of related concepts for me:<br><br>1. Excision of glider&#39;s from Conway&#39;s game.<br><br>2. Characterization of subjectivities (one&#39;s subjective experience, say)<br>relative to objectivity.<br><br>When one watches Conway&#39;s game unfold, it is challenging to maintain the<br>view that gliders are not agents but simply a local patch of board state<br>in the process of updating itself as a whole. The ease with which we<br>perceive gliders as agents facilitated the discovery of &quot;glider guns&quot;,<br>and ultimately the construction of assemblages of &quot;glider guns&quot; to make<br>logic gates. Further, there is a smallest possible toroidal board such<br>that one can have a glider (and only a glider) walk along the surface<br>forever. The relation of this smallest board to any other board state is<br>(in my view) an analogy, an inclusion relation.<br><br>Localization, here for me, is a way of bracketing the baby from the<br>bathwater while continuing to acknowledge that the meaning of both is<br>in relation to a whole. There have been a number of discussions on this<br>forum (and quite a few papers by its participants) where work is done<br>to emphasize the complications associated with non-trivial mereological<br>systems, systems of parts with non-trivial structural constraints. Two<br>recent papers that come to mind are:<br><br>1. <a href="https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.09.430402v1.full">https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.09.430402v1.full</a><br>2. <a href="https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.00420.pdf">https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.00420.pdf</a><br></div></div>