<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Verdana;
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
p.quotation, li.quotation, div.quotation
        {mso-style-name:quotation;
        mso-style-link:"quotation Char";
        margin-top:0in;
        margin-right:0in;
        margin-bottom:0in;
        margin-left:.5in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        font-style:italic;}
span.quotationChar
        {mso-style-name:"quotation Char";
        mso-style-link:quotation;
        font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        font-style:italic;}
span.EmailStyle21
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal>Only I know your intentions, Frank.  How many times to I have to tell you that.  <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>\u201cWho knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men; the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow">behaviorist</a># knows. HOO-HAA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA.\u201c <o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=quotation><span style='font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'># (</span><span style='font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;font-style:normal'>adopting Glen\u2019s practice)</span><span style='font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> </span><span style='color:black;background:white'>The introductory line from the radio adaptation of&nbsp;</span><span style='color:black;background:white'>The Shadow</span><span style='color:black;background:white'>&nbsp;\u2013 &quot;Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!&quot; - spoken by actor&nbsp;</span><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Readick" title="Frank Readick"><span style='font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#0645AD;background:white'>Frank Readick</span></a><span style='color:black;background:white'>, has earned a place in the&nbsp;</span><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English" title="American English"><span style='font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#0645AD;background:white'>American</span></a><span style='color:black;background:white'>&nbsp;</span><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom" title=Idiom><span style='font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#0645AD;background:white'>idiom</span></a><span style='color:black;background:white'>. These words were accompanied by an&nbsp;</span><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ominous_laugh" title="Ominous laugh"><span style='font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#0645AD;background:white'>ominous laugh</span></a><span style='color:black;background:white'>&nbsp;and a musical theme,&nbsp;</span><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Saint-Sa%C3%ABns" title="Camille Saint-Saëns"><span style='font-size:10.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#0645AD;background:white'>Camille Saint-Saëns</span></a><span style='color:black;background:white'>'&nbsp;</span><span style='color:black;background:white'>Le Rouet d'Omphale</span><span style='color:black;background:white'>&nbsp;(&quot;Omphale's Spinning Wheel,&quot; composed in 1872).  Thanks to Wikipedia. </span><span style='background:white'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Nick Thompson<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com"><span style='color:#0563C1'>ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/"><span style='color:#0563C1'>https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=MsoNormal><b>From:</b> Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Frank Wimberly<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, October 25, 2021 10:52 AM<br><b>To:</b> The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal>I did not bully you, Jon.&nbsp; I asked you some questions whose answers I really don't know.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>In a good world those questions might lead you to insights that we can all benefit&nbsp;from.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>I am sorry you feel bullied.&nbsp; I know my intentions.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal>Frank<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=MsoNormal>---<br>Frank C. Wimberly<br>140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br>Santa Fe, NM 87505<br><br>505 670-9918<br>Santa Fe, NM<o:p></o:p></p></div></div></div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p class=MsoNormal>On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 9:29 AM Jon Zingale &lt;<a href="mailto:jonzingale@gmail.com">jonzingale@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style='border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in'><div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>Also, for those that are unfamiliar with how adjoint functors come into the picture, here is something I wrote for my website on adjoint functors for dynamical systems:<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><a href="https://jonzingale.github.io/dynamical-monads/dynamical.html" target="_blank">https://jonzingale.github.io/dynamical-monads/dynamical.html</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>The graphs produced directly via this code:<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><a href="https://github.com/jonzingale/jonzingale.github.io/tree/master/dynamical-monads/hs" target="_blank">https://github.com/jonzingale/jonzingale.github.io/tree/master/dynamical-monads/hs</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>Now, for those that have read and did the exercises in the Arbib and Manes classic &quot;Arrows, Structures and Functors&quot;, you know that certain optimization problems like reachability and observability are dual concepts. Starting around page 100<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>&quot;&quot;&quot;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>Inspection of 9 and 12 may suggest to the astute reader that <i>reachability</i> and <i>observability</i> are <i>dual</i> concepts, in the categorical sense of the term. This is indeed so -- and for a class of machines broader than the sequential machines....<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>&quot;&quot;&quot;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;color:#333333'>So come on, let's act as if we can all still read and treat each other with some amount of grace. I have quite a lot to do this week, I would prefer not to be bullied. Since Frank *does* know me, he should know better.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p class=MsoNormal><br>.-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .<br>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6&nbsp; <a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam" target="_blank">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>un/subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>archives:<br>&nbsp;5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>&nbsp;1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></div></div></body></html>