<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title><style type="text/css">#qt p.qt-MsoNormal{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:11pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}
#qt a:link{color:blue;text-decoration-line:underline;text-decoration-style:solid;text-decoration-color:currentcolor;text-decoration-thickness:auto;}
#qt p.qt-quotation{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:0.5in;font-size:10pt;font-family:"Times New Roman", serif;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;}
#qt p.qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969quotation,#qt p.qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:11pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}

p.MsoNormal,p.MsoNoSpacing{margin:0}</style></head><body><div style="font-family:Arial;"><i>"Nature abhors a category"</i> sayeth Nick. But categories are but a mere byproduct of an even more abhorrent practice \u2014 any use of "is." Category assignment may leave an event of a thing writhing on the plain, but saying that "X"<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;">&nbsp;is an event of a thing kills it dead, dead, dead.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;">davew<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div>On Sat, Oct 30, 2021, at 10:03 AM,&nbsp;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a> wrote:<br></div><blockquote type="cite" id="qt" style="overflow-wrap:break-word;"><div class="qt-WordSection1"><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Sorry for bad typos.&nbsp; My eyes are hopeless in the morning.&nbsp; Correction below.<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-quotation">I also regret my answer.&nbsp; I still like the question, \u201cWhat do categories want?\u201d.&nbsp; I take it as, \u201cWhat hopeless endeavor does a commitment to a category in thought commit one to.&nbsp; First answer: \u201cJust one more instance.\u201d&nbsp; Second answer: \u201cFirm Boundaries\u201d. Nature abhors a category.&nbsp; To assign an event or a thing to a category is to pierce it with a vector of one\u2019s own choosing and leave it writhing on the plain of Life.&nbsp;&nbsp; Still, just as we are hunters by nature, so are we category-assigners.&nbsp; Evolutionarily speaking, we have been abducted by abduction.&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Nick<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Nick Thompson<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com"><span style="color:rgb(5, 99, 193);">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal"><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/"><span style="color:rgb(5, 99, 193);">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a><br></p></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><div><div style="border-right-color:currentcolor;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:medium;border-bottom-color:currentcolor;border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:medium;border-left-color:currentcolor;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:medium;border-image-outset:0;border-image-repeat:stretch;border-image-slice:100%;border-image-source:none;border-image-width:1;border-top-color:rgb(225, 225, 225);border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:1pt;padding-top:3pt;padding-right:0in;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:0in;"><p class="qt-MsoNormal"></p><div><b>From:</b> thompnickson2@gmail.com &lt;thompnickson2@gmail.com&gt; <br></div><div><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, October 30, 2021 9:39 AM<br></div><div><b>To:</b> 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br></div><div><b>Subject:</b> RE: [FRIAM] we are lost<br></div><p></p></div></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Roger,<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">I also regret my answer.&nbsp; But I still like the question.&nbsp; I take it as, \u201cWhat hopeless endeavor does a commitment to categories in though commit one to.&nbsp; First answer: \u201cJust one more instance.\u201d&nbsp; Second answer: \u201cFirm Boundaries\u201d. Nature abhors a category.&nbsp; To assign an event or an object to a category is to piece it with a vector of one\u2019s own choosing and leaving writhing on the plain of Life.&nbsp;&nbsp; Still, just as we are hunters by nature, so are we category-assigners.&nbsp; Evolutionarily speaking, we have been abducted by abduction.&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Nick<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">Nick Thompson<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com"><span style="color:rgb(5, 99, 193);">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal"><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/"><span style="color:rgb(5, 99, 193);">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><div style="border-right-color:currentcolor;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:medium;border-bottom-color:currentcolor;border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:medium;border-left-color:currentcolor;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:medium;border-image-outset:0;border-image-repeat:stretch;border-image-slice:100%;border-image-source:none;border-image-width:1;border-top-color:rgb(225, 225, 225);border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:1pt;padding-top:3pt;padding-right:0in;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:0in;"><p class="qt-MsoNormal"></p><div><b>From:</b> Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Roger Critchlow<br></div><div><b>Sent:</b> Friday, October 29, 2021 6:39 PM<br></div><div><b>To:</b> The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;<a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com">friam@redfish.com</a>&gt;<br></div><div><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] we are lost<br></div><p></p></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><div><div id="qt-gmail-:9ry"><p class="qt-MsoNormal">I was asking what categories, eg monads, comonads, all these abstractions on the abstractions of mathematics, want, since that might help me understand how they see their purpose, given that I was already being asked about the purpose of a platonic solid.<br></p><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p></div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">I hadn't thought about the prehistoric models of platonic solids crafted in rock, they can have purposes like other material objects.&nbsp; Nor had I considered making the jump from abstract mathematical constructs to groups of people sharing characteristics.<br></p></div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p></div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">And I was being silly, but I was provoked.<br></p></div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p></div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">-- rec --<br></p></div></div></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">&nbsp;<br></p><div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal">On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 1:36 PM Marcus Daniels &lt;<a href="mailto:marcus@snoutfarm.com">marcus@snoutfarm.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></p></div><blockquote style="border-top-color:currentcolor;border-top-style:none;border-top-width:medium;border-right-color:currentcolor;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:medium;border-bottom-color:currentcolor;border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:medium;border-image-outset:0;border-image-repeat:stretch;border-image-slice:100%;border-image-source:none;border-image-width:1;border-left-color:rgb(204, 204, 204);border-left-style:solid;border-left-width:1pt;padding-top:0in;padding-right:0in;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:6pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5pt;"><div><div><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style="">Will AIs want the same things I want?&nbsp;&nbsp; I think Roger was just being silly, but `categories\u2019 could be wrangled into to some vaguely adjacent thing like typed computer programs for autonomous control systems in a robot.&nbsp; Let\u2019s call it a careful robot.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Will all intelligent life be like humans and will they want love and recognition?&nbsp;&nbsp; Why must that be the case?&nbsp; Why must it be true for humans?&nbsp;&nbsp; Why does HR assume I even want a safe space?&nbsp;&nbsp; I\u2019m reminded of George Packer\u2019s Free America, Smart America, Real America and Just America.&nbsp;&nbsp; None of them really gave a damn about the others as far as I can tell.&nbsp; It is just a model, of course.<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style="">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style=""><a href="https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/george-packer-four-americas/619012/" target="_blank">https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/george-packer-four-americas/619012/</a><br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style="">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style="">&nbsp;<br></p><div><div style="border-right-color:currentcolor;border-right-style:none;border-right-width:medium;border-bottom-color:currentcolor;border-bottom-style:none;border-bottom-width:medium;border-left-color:currentcolor;border-left-style:none;border-left-width:medium;border-image-outset:0;border-image-repeat:stretch;border-image-slice:100%;border-image-source:none;border-image-width:1;border-top-color:rgb(225, 225, 225);border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:1pt;padding-top:3pt;padding-right:0in;padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:0in;"><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style=""></p><div><b>From:</b> Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com" target="_blank">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b><a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a><br></div><div><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, October 28, 2021 11:30 AM<br></div><div><b>To:</b> 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' &lt;<a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com" target="_blank">friam@redfish.com</a>&gt;<br></div><div><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] we are lost<br></div><p></p></div></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal" style="">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Ok, So, Marcus,<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969quotation">&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; What do categories want?<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969quotation">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969quotation">Love, recognition and safety?&nbsp;&nbsp; Someone phone HR and get the ball rolling on a new policy!<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Spoken from the high perch of Irony.&nbsp; Irony is like wormwood, delightful in small doses but ultimately toxic.&nbsp; Do we not all want love, recognition, and safety?&nbsp; Do we also want excitement and challenge.&nbsp; Go figure!&nbsp;&nbsp; Some of us crave more of the one; some more of the other.&nbsp; Given the contradiction between those things, can we expect the right balance be guaranteed for each and every one of us, for all time?&nbsp; No.&nbsp; Of course not.&nbsp; &nbsp;But is that reason to mock human striving toward these goals?&nbsp; Or to mock Utilitarian attempts to facilitate their achievement?&nbsp; No.&nbsp; I don\u2019t think so.&nbsp; Irony is a guilty pleasure.&nbsp; Even though I use it and enjoy it, I have to admit that it is a an abdication and fails as a policy.&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Nick<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Nick Thompson<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext"><a href="mailto:ThompNickSon2@gmail.com" target="_blank">ThompNickSon2@gmail.com</a><br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext"><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/" target="_blank">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/</a><br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext"></p><div>-----Original Message-----<br></div><div>From: Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com" target="_blank">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; On Behalf Of Marcus Daniels<br></div><div>Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 8:18 AM<br></div><div>To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;<a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com" target="_blank">friam@redfish.com</a>&gt;<br></div><div>Subject: Re: [FRIAM] we are lost<br></div><p></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&gt; So, not only do we attribute teleology to inanimate objects, weather, animals, and people, but also to the platonic solids.&nbsp; Which probably leads to:<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&gt;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; What do categories want?<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Love, recognition and safety?&nbsp;&nbsp; Someone phone HR and get the ball rolling on a new policy!<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Marcus<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">&nbsp;<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">.-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6&nbsp; <a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam" target="_blank">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a> un/subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" target="_blank"><span style="color:windowtext;text-decoration-line:none;text-decoration-style:solid;text-decoration-color:currentcolor;text-decoration-thickness:auto;">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" target="_blank"><span style="color:windowtext;text-decoration-line:none;text-decoration-style:solid;text-decoration-color:currentcolor;text-decoration-thickness:auto;">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">archives:<br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" target="_blank"><span style="color:windowtext;text-decoration-line:none;text-decoration-style:solid;text-decoration-color:currentcolor;text-decoration-thickness:auto;">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</span></a><br></p><p class="qt-gmail-m-5667002389619035969msoplaintext">1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" target="_blank"><span style="color:windowtext;text-decoration-line:none;text-decoration-style:solid;text-decoration-color:currentcolor;text-decoration-thickness:auto;">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</span></a><br></p></div></div><p class="qt-MsoNormal"></p><div><br></div><div>.-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .<br></div><div>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br></div><div>Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6&nbsp; <a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam" target="_blank">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br></div><div>un/subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br></div><div>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br></div><div>archives:<br></div><div>&nbsp;5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br></div><div>&nbsp;1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br></div><p></p></blockquote></div></div><div><br></div><div>.-- .- -. - / .- -.-. - .. --- -. ..--.. / -.-. --- -. .--- ..- --. .- - .<br></div><div>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br></div><div>Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://bit.ly/virtualfriam">bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br></div><div>un/subscribe&nbsp;<a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br></div><div>FRIAM-COMIC&nbsp;<a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br></div><div>archives:<br></div><div>5/2017 thru present&nbsp;<a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br></div><div>1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br></div><div><br></div></blockquote><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div></body></html>