<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:#333333">&quot;&quot;&quot;<br>For lack of a better (or more ironic, since Euler went blind) dichotomy<br>lever, the operational conception might be called Lagrangian and the<br>latter Eulerian. From a Lagrangian perspective any point in an open ball<br>is infinitely far from the outer bound as long as our operations are<br>functions of that outer bound. But from an Eulerian perspective, it&#39;s<br>trivial to see the boundary is just fuzzy and all we need do is take<br>constant steps to leave the ball. That renders the koan a simple fallacy<br>of ambiguity, hinged on the conception of &quot;center&quot;.<br>&quot;&quot;&quot;<br><br>I am unsure that I can address everything here, and I feel like my<br>reasoning has been sh!t lately, but here is an attempt to work out your<br>suggestion of a &quot;fallacy of ambiguity&quot;[\u22ac]:<br>  a) the term shared by the two premisses<br>  b) the subject of the conclusion<br>  c) the predicate of the conclusion<br><br>a) Perhaps here you are talking about *center of a ball* as the shared<br>concept between a Lagrangian and an Eulerian perspective? Or maybe the<br>*center of a ball* as shared between the p-adic and euclidean conceptions<br>of space? In this last case, maybe the &quot;missing premise&quot; is that we are<br>making an analogy to balls and centers when we move to non-archimedean<br>norms? The fallacy might then appear as:<br><br>&quot;All Euclidean balls have a single center. x is the center of a p-adic<br>ball. Thus x is the single center of the p-adic ball.&quot;<br><br>b) I am not sure how to finagle this one a wholes and parts argument,<br>but let me try. Maybe it is that centers are things that balls have but<br>are not properties of points? That attributing center to a point becomes<br>a category error?<br><br>c) Perhaps you feel that *center of a ball* fails operationally, that<br>centers of balls are singular by their very nature, privileging insights<br>of Archimedean experiences? I haven&#39;t worked it out, but I (perhaps<br>falsely) assume that any one of these centers can be handled as a center<br>of mass, a barycenter, maximally situated away from the ball&#39;s closure.<br>Here, I suppose, is where your Gordian step is apt? From each &quot;center&quot;<br>it takes the same number of constant steps to leave.<br><br>All of this is to say that I would like to better understand the *fallacy*.<br>In terms of the larger metaphor, I like the image of many individuals,<br>all within the scope of one another, granted the center of their shared<br>milieux.<br><br>[\u22ac] <a href="https://www2.palomar.edu/users/bthompson/Fallacies%20of%20Ambiguity.html">https://www2.palomar.edu/users/bthompson/Fallacies%20of%20Ambiguity.html</a><br></div></div>