<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class="">I feel sad, Glen, at the way that page was written, because it seemed something you should have found after your own heart, had it been done in a way it fully could have been:<br class=""><div><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><div class="">On Dec 2, 2021, at 12:10 PM, u\u01ddl\u0183 \u2624&gt;$ &lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com" class="">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=""><div class="">&nbsp;Even the hedging compromise of the parallel worlds interpretation of QM gives too much credibility to monism by metaphysically asserting universal laws across the multiverse, and using "dippy" trickery [\u03a9] to skirt infinities. En garde! &gt;8^D<br class=""><br class="">[\u03a9] <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization#Attitudes_and_interpretation" class="">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization#Attitudes_and_interpretation</a><br class=""></div></div></blockquote><div><br class=""></div></div>By journalistic standards, of course, they are doing their Wikipedia job. &nbsp;At noon yesterday, Republicans said it was the middle of the night; Democrats expressed disagreement.<div class=""><br class=""></div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">But of course some points of view are better than others. &nbsp;A lot also, in ways that are hard to defend one\u2019s response to, goes into the choice of the way something is said, and the connotations and context that a given choice of wording brings in with it. &nbsp;</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Salam's comment on people who cling to subtracting infinities has about exactly the right flavor, I think. &nbsp;To my mind, nobody who fully internalizes the lessons and viewpoints that typify modernity is still doing that. &nbsp;(Which is not to say I can\u2019t think of some people who still do it; even some who are smart and should be young enough to know better. &nbsp;But their approach has a certain pre-Copernican flavor to me.)</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Since I have no journalistic obligations, I will express a POV (noting, though, that it comes from some embedding in the topic and the community).</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">0. &nbsp;Subtracting infinities is a 1930s and 1940s thing to do. &nbsp;I still find it extraordinary that they could come up with a way to get correct answers from such an awful methodology (or less awful, \u2019t Hooft\u2019s method of projecting them away by varying the dimensionality), but if I understood the method well enough to teach it, I would probably be able to explain how the real phenomenon is so robust that even with awful methods, there are ways to get the right construction.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">1. The hard shell of the nut really was cracked by (who else?) Murray in 1954 (I assume from much circumstantial information that Francis Low had more of a helper role, but I don\u2019t know whether the insight might have first been his even)</div><div class=""><a href="https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.95.1300" class="">https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.95.1300</a></div><div class="">From here, it was essentially a forgone conclusion that sense would be possible.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">2. It took 20 years for a fully didactic presentation to be provided, but Murray\u2019s student Ken Wilson took care of that:</div><div class=""><a href="http://max2.physics.sunysb.edu/~rastelli/2019/WilsonKogut.pdf" class="">http://max2.physics.sunysb.edu/~rastelli/2019/WilsonKogut.pdf</a></div><div class="">The article represents it as if he \u201conly\u201d did this for condensed matter, but it is clear that Wilson understood that this also addressed the vacuum hierarchy of matter.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">3. Weinberg\u2019s \u201cAll Lagrangians are phenomenological Lagrangians\u201d was really the 95 Theses that exorcised nonsense for all who wanted that:</div><div class=""><a href="https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0378437179902231" class="">https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0378437179902231</a></div><div class="">This is the point of view that I thought you, Glen, would particularly approve of. &nbsp;A comment below on innuendo in wording in how the Wiki page refers to this topic.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">4. From here, further exegesis wasn\u2019t necessarily needed, but Joe Polchinski cleanly illustrated Weinberg\u2019s illustration of Wilson\u2019s illustration of Murray for the high-energy particle theorists:</div><div class=""><a href="https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0550321384902876" class="">https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0550321384902876</a></div><div class="">With this I think it is pretty much closed. &nbsp;We have a method that expresses within itself the scope of its commitments and what those cannot even be assumed to include, and that\u2019s about as good as one can ask for in a method.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">So what\u2019s left to be irritating enough to deserve comment, on this question, in the Wiki page\u2019s \u201cbalance\u201d. &nbsp;They comment that some people feel that the infinities were \u201cmerely an artifact of human ignorance\u201d as opposed to something \u201creal\u201d, or however they put it.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">This, to me, invokes the language people have been bandying about for entropy for decades: is entropy a \u201creal aspect of natural phenomena\u201d, or \u201cmerely an artifact of human ignorance\u201d? &nbsp;(That language is uncalled-for there, too, but that is for other threads, in which my participation is now mercifully dead and buried.)</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">That way of saying it isn\u2019t strictly wrong, of course, but let me offer an alternative rendering of the same strict meaning that carries a connotation that I think is more relevant:</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">"The interpretation that `all Lagrangians are phenomenological Lagrangians', within which infinities never arise in the course of doing calculations, entails the conclusion that humans have not yet worked out a complete and final theory accounting for all aspects of the nature and hierarchy of matter."</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Gosh, stop the presses\u2026.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Of course, I know that wasn\u2019t what the main thread was about, and was merely a drive-by shooting in your post. &nbsp;Don\u2019t know where this leaves your assertion about physicists as monists. &nbsp;I think I don\u2019t understand why anyone who claims to be a monist bothers to say anything, since the act of choosing one word rather than another, or writing any sentence, would be obviated if all things are one thing. &nbsp;I assume the physicists can just ignore all that and keep trying to do work.</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">Eric</div><div class=""><br class=""></div><div class=""><br class=""></div></body></html>