<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="auto">It reminds me of this book:</div><div dir="auto">The Zoologist's Guide to the Galaxy</div><div dir="auto">https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/646643/the-zoologists-guide-to-the-galaxy-by-arik-kershenbaum/</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">-J.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div><br></div><div align="left" dir="auto" style="font-size:100%;color:#000000"><div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: Nicholas Thompson &lt;thompnickson2@gmail.com&gt; </div><div>Date: 2/16/23  10:22 AM  (GMT+01:00) </div><div>To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt; </div><div>Cc: Mike Bybee &lt;mikebybee@earthlink.net&gt; </div><div>Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Thuram still happening? </div><div><br></div></div><div dir="ltr"><div>DISCUSS: If we were Martians sent to earth to study animal life EXCLUSIVE OF human life, would we ever have come up with the idea of categories?&nbsp; What is there that animals do that demands us to invent categories to explain their behavior?&nbsp; Could we build a theory of animal life based solely on associations among experiences... their experiences, not ours.&nbsp; <br></div><div><br></div><div>n<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div class="gmail_attr" dir="ltr">On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM Nicholas Thompson &lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"><div lang="EN-US" style="overflow-wrap: break-word;"><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span>Sorry, Dave.<span>&nbsp; </span>Will miss you.<span>&nbsp; </span>You have been my most faithful recent companion in my quest for windmills to topple. As for your double take, I probably used the wrong initials. I was thinking about the AI thing which, I gather, Bing is now employing to get us all advice on how to cure our lumbago, without ever having to bother with that nasty Mayo Clinic website. </span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span><br></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span>I see why you want to substitute \u201ccloud\u201d for my link metaphor. It\u2019s easier to think of clouds probabilistically.<span>&nbsp; </span>Clouds are awfully passive entities to serve in the way I need them to.<span>&nbsp; </span>Clouds are not, in the first instance, things but visualizations of things. (They can themselves become things, but <span>Idon\u2019t</span> think you have anticipated that metaphoric implication.)<span>&nbsp; </span><span>&nbsp;</span>my \u201dlinks\u201d are more deterministic than your clouds. I admit that \u201cprobabilistic link\u201d is a hard image to think, and therefore not a very evocative metaphor. How about \u201dwoodland path\u201d<span>&nbsp; </span>Woodland pathways provide a more dynamic image than \u201clinks\u201d.<span>&nbsp; </span>Started by a rabbit, adopted by a coyote, exploited by a deer, blundered into by a cow, woodland pathways flourish or fail by use and by the attractiveness of the nodes where they converge or cross.&nbsp; Each use favors future use and nodes become prominent not only for their inherent attractiveness but because they are on the way to.&nbsp; attractive nodes.&nbsp; Thus Sublette KS is a well traveled node not only because of the tourist attraction of visiting the place where the 1917-18&nbsp; ("spanish") flu got its start, but also because it happens to be on the shortest route from NYC to LA.&nbsp; .</span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>&nbsp;</span></span><span>in thinking about this, we should focus on the animal case.<span>&nbsp; </span>Humans are too complicated to be interesting. Also, I think we should focus on animals in currently living in their "environment of evolutionary adaptiveness."<br></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span>I wish we could entice Glen, and Mike, and Stephen to <span>drop in</span> on us around 11 <span>tomorrow,if</span> only to show <span>your</span> faces. The node is 
<span><span></span></span><a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam"><span><span>https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</span></span></a>

</span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span>Nick <span>&nbsp;</span><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span>&nbsp;</span><span>&nbsp;</span><span>&nbsp;</span><u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span> <u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><a name="m_-7167639072541495562_m_7707116631323644993_m_-1044461781999487380_m_-271387994472824036__MailEndCompose"><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></a></p><span></span><div><div style="border-color:rgb(225,225,225) currentcolor currentcolor;border-style:solid none none;border-width:1pt medium medium;padding:3pt 0in 0in"><p class="MsoNormal"><a name="m_-7167639072541495562_m_7707116631323644993_m_-1044461781999487380_m_-271387994472824036__MailOriginal"><b><span>From:</span></b></a><span><span> Friam &lt;<a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com">friam-bounces@redfish.com</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Prof David West<br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, February 15, 2023 1:24 PM<br><b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com">friam@redfish.com</a><br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [FRIAM] Thuram still happening?<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div></div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I will be traveling to Wisconsin tomorrow and miss Thuram.<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">2-cents: a word cloud might be a more useful metaphor than a semantic net, just because of the formalisms employed in the latter. True a cloud lacks explicit links, but such might be lightly sprinkled therein.<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Did a huge double take at the last word in Nick's post. CBT, in one of the communities I associate with, has a far different meaning than, I think, Nick intended. And I would be 'they' used it first.<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">davew<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>On Wed, Feb 15, 2023, at 11:19 AM,&nbsp;</span></span><a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com"><span><span>thompnickson2@gmail.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span> wrote:<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><blockquote id="m_-7167639072541495562m_7707116631323644993m_-1044461781999487380m_-271387994472824036qt" style="margin-top:5pt;margin-bottom:5pt"><div><p><span>FWiW, I willmake every effort to arrive fed to Thuam by 10.30 Mountain.&nbsp; I want to hear the experts among you hold forth on WTF a cateogory actually IS.&nbsp; I am thinking (duh) that a category is a more or less diffuse node in a network of associations (signs, if you must).&nbsp; Hence they constitute a vast table of what goes with what, what is predictable from what, etc.&nbsp; This accommodates \u201cfamily resemblance\u201d&nbsp; quite nicely.&nbsp; Do I think animals have categories, in this sense, ABSOLUTELY EFFING YES. Does this make me a (shudder) nominalist?&nbsp; I hope not.&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>Words\u2026nouns in particular\u2026 confuse this category business.&nbsp; Words place constraints on how vague these nodes can be.&nbsp;&nbsp; They impose on the network constraints to which it is ill suited.&nbsp; True, the more my associations with \u201chorse\u201d line up with your associations with \u201chorse\u201d, the more true the horse seems.&nbsp; Following Peirce, I would say that where our nodes increasingly correspond with increasing shared experience, we have evidence ot the (ultimate) truth of the nodes, their \u201creality\u201d in Peirce\u2019s terms.&nbsp; Here is where I am striving to hang on to Peirce\u2019s realism.&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>The reason I want the geeks to participate tomorrow is that I keep thinking of a semantic webby thing that Steve devised for the Institute about a decade ago.&nbsp;&nbsp; Now a semantic web would be a kind of metaphor for an associative web; don\u2019t associate with other words in exactly the same manner in which experiences associate with other experiences.&nbsp; Still, I think the metaphor is interesting.&nbsp; Also, I am kind of re-interested in my \u201cauthorial voice\u201d, how much it operates like cbt.<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>Rushing,<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>Nick<u></u><u></u></span></p><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><div style="border-style:solid none none;border-width:1pt medium medium;border-color:rgb(225,225,225) currentcolor currentcolor;padding:3pt 0in 0in"><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><b><span>From:</span></b></span><span><span> Friam &lt;</span></span><a href="mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.com"><span><span>friam-bounces@redfish.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Eric Charles<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><b><span>Sent:</span></b></span><span><span> Wednesday, February 15, 2023 10:29 AM<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><b><span>To:</span></b></span><span><span> The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group &lt;</span></span><a href="mailto:friam@redfish.com"><span><span>friam@redfish.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span>&gt;<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><b><span>Subject:</span></b></span><span><span> Re: [FRIAM] Thuram still happening?<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div></div><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><p><span>Well shoot..... that would do it.... Thank you!&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><p><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p><div><div><div><div><div><div><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><div><p><span>On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 12:28 PM Frank Wimberly &lt;</span><a href="mailto:wimberly3@gmail.com"><span>wimberly3@gmail.com</span><span></span></a><span>&gt; wrote:<u></u><u></u></span></p></div><blockquote style="border-style:none none none solid;border-width:medium medium medium 1pt;border-color:currentcolor currentcolor currentcolor rgb(204,204,204);padding:0in 0in 0in 6pt;margin:5pt 0in 5pt 4.8pt"><div><p style="margin-bottom:12pt"><span>Today is Wednesday, isn't it?<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>---<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Frank C. Wimberly<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Santa Fe, NM 87505<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>505 670-9918<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Santa Fe, NM<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div></div></div><p><span>&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><div><p><span>On Wed, Feb 15, 2023, 10:19 AM Eric Charles &lt;</span><a href="mailto:eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com"><span>eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com</span><span></span></a><span>&gt; wrote:<u></u><u></u></span></p></div><blockquote style="border-style:none none none solid;border-width:medium medium medium 1pt;border-color:currentcolor currentcolor currentcolor rgb(204,204,204);padding:0in 0in 0in 6pt;margin:5pt 0in 5pt 4.8pt"><div><div><div><div><div><div><p><span>Are the Thursday online meetings still happening? I missed a few weeks due to work piling up meetings on, but I'm trying to log in now, and it looks like the meeting hasn't started.&nbsp;<u></u><u></u></span></p></div></div></div></div></div></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe&nbsp; &nbsp;/&nbsp; &nbsp;Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom </span></span><a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam"><span><span>https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>to (un)subscribe </span></span><a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"><span><span>http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM-COMIC </span></span><a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"><span><span>http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>archives:&nbsp; 5/2017 thru present </span></span><a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/"><span><span>https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>&nbsp; 1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; </span></span><a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/"><span><span>http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div></blockquote></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe&nbsp; &nbsp;/&nbsp; &nbsp;Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom </span></span><a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam"><span><span>https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>to (un)subscribe </span></span><a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"><span><span>http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM-COMIC </span></span><a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"><span><span>http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>archives:&nbsp; 5/2017 thru present </span></span><a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/"><span><span>https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>&nbsp; 1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; </span></span><a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/"><span><span>http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div></blockquote></div></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp; Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom&nbsp;</span></span><a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam"><span><span>https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>to (un)subscribe&nbsp;</span></span><a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"><span><span>http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>FRIAM-COMIC&nbsp;</span></span><a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"><span><span>http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>archives:&nbsp; 5/2017 thru present&nbsp;</span></span><a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/"><span><span>https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span>&nbsp; 1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></span><a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/"><span><span>http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</span></span><span></span></a><span><span><u></u><u></u></span></span></p></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span><span><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></span></p></div></blockquote><span></span><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><u></u>&nbsp;<u></u></span></p></div></div></div></div>
</blockquote></div>
</body></html>