<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/17/23 11:39 AM, Nicholas Thompson
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAAXA=WnTCuzSi6ukvyd6F5WJT5k6Mysc72=UyiCaX4P3jYddAQ@mail.gmail.com">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Our family rule was, "Don't name anything  you
        aren't ready to take to the vet."<br>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>if by vet you mean "repairman" or "carwash/detailer" then I
      agree... I anthropomorphize *some* vehicles and when I take them
      to the mechanic I do it with a similar feeling that I take a pet
      to a vet.   But then I also have a certain kind of respect for a
      "pile of dirt" many here would not.   I suppose that I even
      consider many conformations of otherwise inanimate/low-agency
      things to have a "life of their own", meager as it might seem.   I
      once had a pile of sand near the entrance to my house which I put
      there for a project (so I *formed* the pile myself, taking some
      level of responsibility for it).... by the time the project was
      complete, there was still a "mound" of sand which I was *loathe*
      to move (not just because I was lazy.   It was just big enough to
      attract my dog who *liked* to flop down on the top of it (all of
      12" high?) and over the space of about a year, the dog and mound
      had co-evolved to be more like a *patch* of residually more sandy
      soil than the surrounding adobe-silt-clay-sandy soil only
      barely/hardly taller than the surrounds.   <br>
    </p>
    <p>I felt like that "pile" and the dog and the pair of them together
      were an entity and I might even have named the pair if not for the
      fact I would have had to be "willing to take the pair to the vet"
      but in fact, I knew that would really confuse the vet if I did....
      and most folks I know are confused when I try to explain this...
      maybe it would be easier if I would just give over and name the
      dog-sandpile complex?   Oh... the dog has since died and is buried
      nearby under a "pile of dirt" covered in "a pile of rocks".... 
      the rocks are there to keep the coyotes and ravens and humans from
      "trampling" the gravesite?</p>
    <p>I'm probably just muddying this mudpile of dirt by trampling
      through it repeatedly?</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAAXA=WnTCuzSi6ukvyd6F5WJT5k6Mysc72=UyiCaX4P3jYddAQ@mail.gmail.com"><br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:47
          AM Steve Smith &lt;<a href="mailto:sasmyth@swcp.com"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">sasmyth@swcp.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">This
          may be something of a "punt" but I tripped over an essay on
          BCS's <br>
          OOO a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to introduce it into
          the <br>
          conversation.  I wonder if the gap in the metaphysical
          fundament that we <br>
          (don't) share might be bridged by some of BCS's ideas about
          "what means <br>
          object anyway?"<br>
          <br>
          <a
href="https://www.academia.edu/73428704/Extruding_intentionality_from_the_metaphysical_flux"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.academia.edu/73428704/Extruding_intentionality_from_the_metaphysical_flux</a><br>
          <br>
          I think where I might get most bamboozled by talk of "there is
          something <br>
          that it is *like* to *be* trampled dirt has to do with the
          boundaries of <br>
          identity and object and the subject-object relation of
          affordances.   A <br>
          subject perceives/experiences/exercises/relates-to the
          affordance of an <br>
          object?   A pile of dirt has identity as a pile only insomuch
          as there <br>
          is a subject (also an object in it's own right) which
          percieves/acts-on <br>
          the pile of dirt *as if* it had a boundary and an identity and
          with some <br>
          kind of affordance (e.g. trampleable?).   I don't think there
          is <br>
          anything intrinsic in being a distribution of dirt-particles
          which has <br>
          anything to do with trampling or trampleable...   but then the
          nature of <br>
          a foot does not make for trample-ability alone either?   To
          trample <br>
          requires a tramplee?   A thing to be trampled?  A state change
          in the <br>
          tramplee from untrampled to trampled?<br>
          <br>
          Or to repeat myself, perhaps I am barking up the wrong <br>
          lexicon/ontology/cosmology here?   We are possibly (always and
          forever?) <br>
          on the opposite sides of a looking glass?<br>
          <br>
          woof!<br>
          <br>
            - Steve<br>
          <br>
          On 2/17/23 9:11 AM, glen wrote:<br>
          &gt; Interesting. I never claimed I can "feel what it is like
          to be <br>
          &gt; trampled dirt". I merely asserted there is something that
          it is like <br>
          &gt; to be trampled dirt. I have no sympathy or empathy for
          dirt <br>
          &gt; whatsoever, trampled or otherwise. I can't be like
          trampled dirt or <br>
          &gt; feel what it is like to be trampled dirt. (Soil, now,
          maybe that's a <br>
          &gt; different, more interesting idea. But we won't talk about
          soil or <br>
          &gt; mycelia because it's easier to rely on incredulity.) But
          the absence <br>
          &gt; of [sy|e]mpathy for some thing does *not* imply the
          absence of some <br>
          &gt; arbitrary property like "what it is like" to be that
          thing. I also <br>
          &gt; wouldn't claim that dirt "feels" anything. Why is
          "feeling" correlated <br>
          &gt; with "being" or qualia?<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; More importantly, your examples of "mental stuff" simply
          don't carry <br>
          &gt; any water for me. "Occurring to me" is entirely a body
          thing to me. It <br>
          &gt; literally stops and redirects my behavior, my body. I
          don't see how <br>
          &gt; its any different from any other subtle thing like
          smelling coffee or <br>
          &gt; glimpsing movement in peripheral vision.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Empathy-seeking as an example of "mental stuff"? Hm. For
          me, I <br>
          &gt; empathize with people I interact with. I don't think I
          can empathize <br>
          &gt; with some[one|thing] I haven't interacted with. Now,
          *imagining*, that <br>
          &gt; may be a useful foil. But, again, I can't imagine
          anything without <br>
          &gt; some imagining tools. Tool-less imagining doesn't exist
          for me. (And <br>
          &gt; I'm arrogant in thinking it doesn't exist for anyone
          else, either. <br>
          &gt; Those who *think* they can imagine without tools have
          been tricked, <br>
          &gt; brainwashed into believing in "pure mental stuff".)<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; I've had trouble finding the research lately. But there's
          evidence <br>
          &gt; that when we imagine spinning, say, a ball around its
          axis, there's a <br>
          &gt; lot of overlap with the neural structures that fire in
          our brain as <br>
          &gt; when we're actually spinning a ball with our hand. That's
          body stuff. <br>
          &gt; Even if my "imagining" seems entirely within the bounds
          of my skull, <br>
          &gt; it's still body stuff. It's still tool-mediated, even if
          the mediation <br>
          &gt; occurs longitudinally, through time/training. I just have
          no idea what <br>
          &gt; you guys mean by "mental stuff".<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; On 2/17/23 07:43, Steve Smith wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt; As absurd as this whole conversation feels in some
          ways, I find it <br>
          &gt;&gt; fascinating (and possibly useful).  At the very least
          it seems to be <br>
          &gt;&gt; an extreme example of empathy-seeking.<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; This is "me" doing "mental stuff".   I don't know how
          to separate <br>
          &gt;&gt; "mental stuff" from "body stuff" except perhaps /en
          extrema/, /per <br>
          &gt;&gt; exemplia/.   Imaginating on what it is like to be
          trampled-dirt would <br>
          &gt;&gt; fit into my category of "doing mental stuff",
          whatever that actually <br>
          &gt;&gt; means (beyond being able to label extreme examples of
          it?)<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; Glen sez "there is something it is like to be
          trampled dirt" as if <br>
          &gt;&gt; that actually means something and that any/all of us
          perhaps can <br>
          &gt;&gt; experience that.   Try as I might I can't quite "feel
          what it is like <br>
          &gt;&gt; to be trampled dirt".... however I do find that I can
          find within the <br>
          &gt;&gt; things I'm more inclined to call "body stuff" that my
          "mental stuff" <br>
          &gt;&gt; is willing to label (very loosely) as "being like
          trampled dirt".  <br>
          &gt;&gt; BUT I don't know that in that process I ever imagine
          I actually "feel <br>
          &gt;&gt; like trampled dirt".<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;   I could ramble forever (uncountable, not infiinite)
          on examples of <br>
          &gt;&gt; what it is for *me* to "be like trampled dirt" ( a
          great deal of what <br>
          &gt;&gt; feeds good poetry actually) and some here *might8
          recognize some/many <br>
          &gt;&gt; of my examples and end up "feeling like trampled
          dirt" more than they <br>
          &gt;&gt; did before they read it. This would be what *I* call
          communication <br>
          &gt;&gt; (which Glen insists does not actually exist?).   I'm
          possibly <br>
          &gt;&gt; talking/thinking (mental stuff) into "feeling like
          trampled dirt" <br>
          &gt;&gt; (body stuff) here.   I don't know that I can claim
          (imagine) that <br>
          &gt;&gt; dirt is in any way communicating "what it is like to
          be trampled <br>
          &gt;&gt; dirt" to me except perhaps simply by *being trampled
          dirt*.   <br>
          &gt;&gt; Observing dirt as it is trampled, or as it's
          configuration suggests <br>
          &gt;&gt; "having been trampled" seems to be part of *my*
          strategy in trying to <br>
          &gt;&gt; imagine "being trampled dirt"<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; And it occurs to me (mental stuff, this 'occuring
          to") that the very <br>
          &gt;&gt; description *as* "trampled" dirt is a projection of a
          living creature <br>
          &gt;&gt; onto something with no obvious agency nor
          sensation?   To the extent <br>
          &gt;&gt; that dirt is something that *most* creatures
          walk/run/stomp-about <br>
          &gt;&gt; upon (at least dirt on the surface of a gravitational
          body), it is <br>
          &gt;&gt; *all trampled*?   Of course, dirt on the surface of
          the moon (is it <br>
          &gt;&gt; actually *dirt* if it's origins are not earthly?  
          Moon-dust, <br>
          &gt;&gt; Moon-rock, Moon-gravel) is on the whole untrampled
          (with the <br>
          &gt;&gt; exception of the small area where Apollo Astronauts
          placed their <br>
          &gt;&gt; feet?) and maybe by extension where the landing-pads
          of the Lunar <br>
          &gt;&gt; Lander's touched down and then by yet-more extension,
          every place a <br>
          &gt;&gt; bit of man-made debris has struck or landed-on the
          surface?  Which <br>
          &gt;&gt; leads us to the possibility that *all* moon-surface
          material is <br>
          &gt;&gt; "trampled earth", being "trampled by meteors"?<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; As I write this I "feel like moondust, trampled not
          only by <br>
          &gt;&gt; meteorites/asteroids but also by cosmic rays"...<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; What is the opposite-of/complement-to /reductio ad
          absurdum/ ? <br>
          &gt;&gt; /ridiculum faciens nota /or more likely/ridiculum
          faciens usitata <br>
          &gt;&gt; verberando sicut equus mortuus/<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; On 2/17/23 12:35 AM, \u26e7 glen wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; Doubling down on the incredulity fallacy? OK.
          Yes. There is <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; something it is like to be trampled dirt. I don't
          know what you mean <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; by "mental stuff", of course. I don't do any
          mental stuff as far as <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; I know. Everything I do is inherently "body
          stuff". Maybe that's <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; because I've experienced chronic pain my whole
          life. Maybe some of <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; you consistently live in a body free experience?
          I've only <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; experienced that a few times, e.g. running in a
          fasted state. And I <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; later suffered for that indulgent delusion.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; No. Neither the dirt nor I do "mental stuff". So
          you need a more <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; concrete question.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; On February 16, 2023 6:04:17 PM PST, Eric <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt; Charles&lt;<a
            href="mailto:eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com</a>&gt; 
          wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "an account of the seemingly analogous
          position of panpsychism"<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What is that more than something people say?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Do *you* experience the dirt at your feet as
          having a mental life? <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If so,<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell me about it: What is the dirt like when
          it seems to be doing <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mental<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; stuff? What kind of mental stuff is it doing?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If not: Have you seen anyone who earnestly
          thinks the dirt is doing <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mental<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; stuff? If so, what were *they* like? How was
          that belief pervasive <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; in their<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; adjustments to the world? Based on your
          experiences with that <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; person, how<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do you think your ways of acting in the world
          would change if you <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; adopted<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; such a position?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:echarles@american.edu"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">echarles@american.edu</a>&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 1:27 PM glen&lt;<a
            href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; 
          wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I don't grok the context well enough to
          equivocate on concepts <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; like "have"<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and "category of being". But in response
          to Nick's question: "What <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is there<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that animals do that demands us to invent
          categories to explain their<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; behavior?", my answer is "animals
          discretize the ambient muck". So if<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorization is somehow fundamentally
          related to discretization, <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; then<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; animals clearly categorize in that sense.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I mean, all you have to do is consider
          the frequencies of light the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; animals' eyeballs do or don't see. That's
          two categories right <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; there, the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; light they do see and the light they
          don't. Unless there's some <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sophistry<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; hidden behind the question, the answer
          seems clear. Reflection on <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; what one<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; does and does not categorize isn't
          necessary. I could even claim <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; my truck<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; discretizes fluids ... those that make it
          seize up versus <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; lubricate it,<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; those that it burns vs those that stop it
          cold. Etc. Maybe the <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; question is<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; better formulated as "What makes one
          impute categories on <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; another?" Clearly<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; my truck doesn't impute categories on
          squirrels.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; But Nick does follow that question with
          this "experience" <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nonsense. So my<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; guess is there *is* some sophistry behind
          the question, similar to <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; EricC's<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; incredulous response to DaveW's question
          about phenomenological <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; composition<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of experience(s). What I find missing in
          Nick's (and EricC's) <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; distillation<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of experience monism is an account of the
          seemingly analogous <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; position of<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; panpsychism. Were I a scholar, I might
          take such work on myself. <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; But I'm<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; not and, hence, very much appreciate
          these distillations of dead <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; white<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; men's metaphysics and will take what I
          can get. 8^D<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On 2/16/23 09:22, Steve Smith wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Might I offer some terminology
          reframing, or at least ask for some<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; additional explication?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;   1. I think "behaviours" would be
          all Nick's Martians *could* <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; observe?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; They would be inferring "experiences"
          from observed behaviours?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;   2. When we talk about "categories"
          here, are we talking about<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "categories of being"?  Ontologies, as it
          were?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Regarding ErisS' reflections... I
          *do* think that animals behave *as<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; if* they "have categories", though I
          don't know what it even means <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to say<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that they "have categories" in the way
          Aristotle and his <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; legacy-followers<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (e.g. us) do...   I would suggest/suspect
          that dogs and squirrels <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are in no<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; way aware of these "categories" and that
          to say that they do is a<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; projection by (us) humans who have
          fabricated the (useful in myriad<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; contexts) of a
          category/Category/ontology.   So in that sense they <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do NOT<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; *have* categories...   I think in this <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conception/thought-experiment we<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; assume that Martians *would* and would be
          looking to map their own<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ontologies onto the behaviour (and
          inferred  experiences and <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; judgements?)<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of Terran animals?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If I were to invert the
          subject/object relation, I would suggest <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that it<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is "affordances" not "experiences" (or
          animals' behaviours) we <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; want to<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorize into ontologies?  It is what
          things are "good for" that <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; make<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; them interesting/similar/different to
          living beings.   And "good <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for" is<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conditionally contextualized.   My dog
          and cat both find squirrels <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "good<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for" chasing, but so too for baby rabbits
          and skunks (once).<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Or am I barking up the wrong set of
          reserved lexicons?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; To segue (as I am wont to do), it
          feels like this discussion <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; parallels<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the one about LLMs where we train the
          hell out of variations on <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; learning<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; classifier systems until they are as good
          as (or better than) we <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (humans)<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are at predicting the next token in a
          string of human-generated <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tokens (or<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; synthesizing a string of tokens which
          humans cannot distinguish <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from a<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; string generated by another human, in
          particular one with the <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; proverbial<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 10,000 hours of specialized training).  
          The fact that or <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "ologies" tend to<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; be recorded and organized as knowledge
          structures and in fact usually<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; *propogated* (taught/learnt) by the same
          makes us want to believe <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (some of<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; us) that hidden inside these LLMs are
          precisely the same "ologies" we<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; encode in our myriad textbooks and
          professional journal articles?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think one of the questions that
          remains present within this <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; group's<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; continued 'gurgitations is whether the
          organizations we have <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conjured are<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; particularly special, or just one of an
          infinitude of superposed<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; alternative formulations?   And whether
          some of those formulations <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; acutely occult and/or abstract and
          whether the existing (accepted)<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; formulations (e.g. Western Philosophy and
          Science, etc) are <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; uniquely (and<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; exclusively or at least optimally)
          capable of capturing/describing <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; what is<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "really real" (nod to George Berkeley).<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Some here (self included) may often
          suggest that such formulation <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is at<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; best a coincidence of history and as well
          as it "covers" a <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; description of<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; "reality", it is by circumstance and
          probably by abstract <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conception ("all<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; models are wrong...") incomplete and in
          error.  But nevertheless <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; still<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; useful...<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Maybe another way of reframing Nick's
          question (on a tangent) is <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to ask<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; whether the Barsoomians had their own
          Aristotle to conceive of<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Categories?   Or did they train their
          telescopes on ancient Greece <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; learn Latin Lip Reading and adopt one or
          more the Greek's <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; philosophical<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; traditions?  And then, did the
          gas-balloon creatures floating in the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; atmosphere-substance of Jupiter observe
          the Martians' who had <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; observed the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Greeks and thereby come up with their own
          Categories. Maybe it was <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; those<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; creatures who beamed these abstractions
          straight into the neural <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tissue of<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the Aristotelians and Platonists?   Do
          gas-balloon creatures even <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; have<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; solids to be conceived of as Platonic? 
          And are they missing out <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; if they<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; don't?  Do they have their own Edwin
          Abbot Abbot?   And what would <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Cheela&lt;<a
            href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg</a>&gt; 
          say?<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; My dog and the rock squirrels he
          chases want to know... so do the <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cholla<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cactus fruits/segments they hoard in
          their nests!<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mumble,<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;    - Steve<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On 2/16/23 5:37 AM, Santafe wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; It\u2019s the tiniest and most
          idiosyncratic take on this question, but<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; FWIW, here:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a
            href="https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113</a><br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I actually think that all of what
          Nick says below is a perfectly <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; good<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; draft of a POV.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; As to whether animals \u201chave\u201d
          categories: Spend time with a dog.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Doesn\u2019t take very much time.  Their
          interest in conspecifics is <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (ahem)<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorically different from their
          interest in people, different <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; than to<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; squirrels, different than to cats,
          different than to snakes.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; For me to even say that seems
          like cueing a narcissism of small<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; differences, when overwhelmingly, their
          behavior is structured around<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categories, as is everyone else\u2019s. 
          Squirrels don\u2019t mistake acorns <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; birds of prey.  Or for the tree limbs and
          house roofs one can jump <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; onto.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Or for other squirrels.  It\u2019s all
          categories.  Behavior is an <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; operation on<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categories.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I found it interesting that you
          invoked \u201cnouns\u201d as a framework <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that is<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; helpful but sometimes obstructive.  One
          might just have said <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201cwords\u201d.  This<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is interesting to me already, because my
          syntactician friends will <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell you<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that a noun is not, as we were taught as
          children, a \u201cword for a <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; person,<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; place, or thing\u201d, but rather a \u201cword in a
          language that transforms <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; as nouns<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; transform in that language\u201d, which is a
          bit of an obfuscation, <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; since they<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do have in common that they are in some
          way \u201cobject-words\u201d.  But <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; polysemy and synonymy perspective, we see
          that \u201cmeanings\u201d cross the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; noun-verb syntactic distinction quite
          frequently for some categories.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Eye/see, ear/hear, moon/shine, and stuff
          like that.  My typologist <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; friends<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell me that is common but particular to
          some meanings much more than<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; others.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Another fun thing I was told by
          Ted Chiang a few months ago, <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; which I<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; was amazed I had not heard from
          linguists, and still want to hold in<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; reserve until I can check it further.  He
          says that languages without<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; written forms do not have a word for
          \u201cword\u201d.  If true, that seems <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; very<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; interesting and important.  If Chiang
          believes it to be true, it is<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; probably already a strong enough
          regularity to be more-or-less <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; true, and<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; thus still interesting and important.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Eric<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Feb 15, 2023, at 1:19
          PM,&lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt;  
          &lt;<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt; 
          wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; FWiW, I willmake every effort
          to arrive fed to Thuam by 10.30<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mountain.  I want to hear the experts
          among you hold forth on WTF a<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cateogory actually IS.  I am thinking
          (duh) that a category is a <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more or<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; less diffuse node in a network of
          associations (signs, if you <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; must).  Hence<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; they constitute a vast table of what goes
          with what, what is <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; predictable<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from what, etc.  This accommodates
          \u201cfamily resemblance\u201d quite <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nicely.  Do<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think animals have categories, in this
          sense, ABSOLUTELY EFFING <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; YES. Does<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; this make me a (shudder) nominalist?  I
          hope not.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Words\u2026nouns in particular\u2026
          confuse this category business.  Words<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; place constraints on how vague these
          nodes can be.   They impose <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; on the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; network constraints to which it is ill
          suited.  True, the more my<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; associations with \u201chorse\u201d line up with
          your associations with <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201chorse\u201d, the<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more true the horse seems.  Following
          Peirce, I would say that <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; where our<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nodes increasingly correspond with
          increasing shared experience, <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; we have<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; evidence ot the (ultimate) truth of the
          nodes, their \u201creality\u201d in <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Peirce\u2019s<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; terms.  Here is where I am striving to
          hang on to Peirce\u2019s realism.<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; The reason I want the geeks
          to participate tomorrow is that I keep<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; thinking of a semantic webby thing that
          Steve devised for the <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Institute<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; about a decade ago.   Now a semantic web
          would be a kind of <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; metaphor for an<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; associative web; don\u2019t associate with
          other words in exactly the same<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; manner in which experiences associate
          with other experiences.  <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Still, I<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; think the metaphor is interesting.  Also,
          I am kind of <br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; re-interested in my<br>
          &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201cauthorial voice\u201d, how much it operates
          like cbt.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt;<br>
          <br>
          -. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. ---
          -.. .<br>
          FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
          Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p
          Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
          to (un)subscribe <a
            href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
          FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
          archives:  5/2017 thru present <a
            href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
            1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a
            href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a>
to (un)subscribe <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a>
FRIAM-COMIC <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>