<div dir="ltr">Our family rule was, &quot;Don&#39;t name anything  you aren&#39;t ready to take to the vet.&quot;<br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:47 AM Steve Smith &lt;<a href="mailto:sasmyth@swcp.com">sasmyth@swcp.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">This may be something of a &quot;punt&quot; but I tripped over an essay on BCS&#39;s <br>
OOO a few weeks ago and I&#39;ve been wanting to introduce it into the <br>
conversation.  I wonder if the gap in the metaphysical fundament that we <br>
(don&#39;t) share might be bridged by some of BCS&#39;s ideas about &quot;what means <br>
object anyway?&quot;<br>
<br>
<a href="https://www.academia.edu/73428704/Extruding_intentionality_from_the_metaphysical_flux" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.academia.edu/73428704/Extruding_intentionality_from_the_metaphysical_flux</a><br>
<br>
I think where I might get most bamboozled by talk of &quot;there is something <br>
that it is *like* to *be* trampled dirt has to do with the boundaries of <br>
identity and object and the subject-object relation of affordances.   A <br>
subject perceives/experiences/exercises/relates-to the affordance of an <br>
object?   A pile of dirt has identity as a pile only insomuch as there <br>
is a subject (also an object in it&#39;s own right) which percieves/acts-on <br>
the pile of dirt *as if* it had a boundary and an identity and with some <br>
kind of affordance (e.g. trampleable?).   I don&#39;t think there is <br>
anything intrinsic in being a distribution of dirt-particles which has <br>
anything to do with trampling or trampleable...   but then the nature of <br>
a foot does not make for trample-ability alone either?   To trample <br>
requires a tramplee?   A thing to be trampled?  A state change in the <br>
tramplee from untrampled to trampled?<br>
<br>
Or to repeat myself, perhaps I am barking up the wrong <br>
lexicon/ontology/cosmology here?   We are possibly (always and forever?) <br>
on the opposite sides of a looking glass?<br>
<br>
woof!<br>
<br>
  - Steve<br>
<br>
On 2/17/23 9:11 AM, glen wrote:<br>
&gt; Interesting. I never claimed I can &quot;feel what it is like to be <br>
&gt; trampled dirt&quot;. I merely asserted there is something that it is like <br>
&gt; to be trampled dirt. I have no sympathy or empathy for dirt <br>
&gt; whatsoever, trampled or otherwise. I can&#39;t be like trampled dirt or <br>
&gt; feel what it is like to be trampled dirt. (Soil, now, maybe that&#39;s a <br>
&gt; different, more interesting idea. But we won&#39;t talk about soil or <br>
&gt; mycelia because it&#39;s easier to rely on incredulity.) But the absence <br>
&gt; of [sy|e]mpathy for some thing does *not* imply the absence of some <br>
&gt; arbitrary property like &quot;what it is like&quot; to be that thing. I also <br>
&gt; wouldn&#39;t claim that dirt &quot;feels&quot; anything. Why is &quot;feeling&quot; correlated <br>
&gt; with &quot;being&quot; or qualia?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; More importantly, your examples of &quot;mental stuff&quot; simply don&#39;t carry <br>
&gt; any water for me. &quot;Occurring to me&quot; is entirely a body thing to me. It <br>
&gt; literally stops and redirects my behavior, my body. I don&#39;t see how <br>
&gt; its any different from any other subtle thing like smelling coffee or <br>
&gt; glimpsing movement in peripheral vision.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Empathy-seeking as an example of &quot;mental stuff&quot;? Hm. For me, I <br>
&gt; empathize with people I interact with. I don&#39;t think I can empathize <br>
&gt; with some[one|thing] I haven&#39;t interacted with. Now, *imagining*, that <br>
&gt; may be a useful foil. But, again, I can&#39;t imagine anything without <br>
&gt; some imagining tools. Tool-less imagining doesn&#39;t exist for me. (And <br>
&gt; I&#39;m arrogant in thinking it doesn&#39;t exist for anyone else, either. <br>
&gt; Those who *think* they can imagine without tools have been tricked, <br>
&gt; brainwashed into believing in &quot;pure mental stuff&quot;.)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve had trouble finding the research lately. But there&#39;s evidence <br>
&gt; that when we imagine spinning, say, a ball around its axis, there&#39;s a <br>
&gt; lot of overlap with the neural structures that fire in our brain as <br>
&gt; when we&#39;re actually spinning a ball with our hand. That&#39;s body stuff. <br>
&gt; Even if my &quot;imagining&quot; seems entirely within the bounds of my skull, <br>
&gt; it&#39;s still body stuff. It&#39;s still tool-mediated, even if the mediation <br>
&gt; occurs longitudinally, through time/training. I just have no idea what <br>
&gt; you guys mean by &quot;mental stuff&quot;.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 2/17/23 07:43, Steve Smith wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; As absurd as this whole conversation feels in some ways, I find it <br>
&gt;&gt; fascinating (and possibly useful).  At the very least it seems to be <br>
&gt;&gt; an extreme example of empathy-seeking.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; This is &quot;me&quot; doing &quot;mental stuff&quot;.   I don&#39;t know how to separate <br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;mental stuff&quot; from &quot;body stuff&quot; except perhaps /en extrema/, /per <br>
&gt;&gt; exemplia/.   Imaginating on what it is like to be trampled-dirt would <br>
&gt;&gt; fit into my category of &quot;doing mental stuff&quot;, whatever that actually <br>
&gt;&gt; means (beyond being able to label extreme examples of it?)<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Glen sez &quot;there is something it is like to be trampled dirt&quot; as if <br>
&gt;&gt; that actually means something and that any/all of us perhaps can <br>
&gt;&gt; experience that.   Try as I might I can&#39;t quite &quot;feel what it is like <br>
&gt;&gt; to be trampled dirt&quot;.... however I do find that I can find within the <br>
&gt;&gt; things I&#39;m more inclined to call &quot;body stuff&quot; that my &quot;mental stuff&quot; <br>
&gt;&gt; is willing to label (very loosely) as &quot;being like trampled dirt&quot;.  <br>
&gt;&gt; BUT I don&#39;t know that in that process I ever imagine I actually &quot;feel <br>
&gt;&gt; like trampled dirt&quot;.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;   I could ramble forever (uncountable, not infiinite) on examples of <br>
&gt;&gt; what it is for *me* to &quot;be like trampled dirt&quot; ( a great deal of what <br>
&gt;&gt; feeds good poetry actually) and some here *might8 recognize some/many <br>
&gt;&gt; of my examples and end up &quot;feeling like trampled dirt&quot; more than they <br>
&gt;&gt; did before they read it. This would be what *I* call communication <br>
&gt;&gt; (which Glen insists does not actually exist?).   I&#39;m possibly <br>
&gt;&gt; talking/thinking (mental stuff) into &quot;feeling like trampled dirt&quot; <br>
&gt;&gt; (body stuff) here.   I don&#39;t know that I can claim (imagine) that <br>
&gt;&gt; dirt is in any way communicating &quot;what it is like to be trampled <br>
&gt;&gt; dirt&quot; to me except perhaps simply by *being trampled dirt*.   <br>
&gt;&gt; Observing dirt as it is trampled, or as it&#39;s configuration suggests <br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;having been trampled&quot; seems to be part of *my* strategy in trying to <br>
&gt;&gt; imagine &quot;being trampled dirt&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; And it occurs to me (mental stuff, this &#39;occuring to&quot;) that the very <br>
&gt;&gt; description *as* &quot;trampled&quot; dirt is a projection of a living creature <br>
&gt;&gt; onto something with no obvious agency nor sensation?   To the extent <br>
&gt;&gt; that dirt is something that *most* creatures walk/run/stomp-about <br>
&gt;&gt; upon (at least dirt on the surface of a gravitational body), it is <br>
&gt;&gt; *all trampled*?   Of course, dirt on the surface of the moon (is it <br>
&gt;&gt; actually *dirt* if it&#39;s origins are not earthly?   Moon-dust, <br>
&gt;&gt; Moon-rock, Moon-gravel) is on the whole untrampled (with the <br>
&gt;&gt; exception of the small area where Apollo Astronauts placed their <br>
&gt;&gt; feet?) and maybe by extension where the landing-pads of the Lunar <br>
&gt;&gt; Lander&#39;s touched down and then by yet-more extension, every place a <br>
&gt;&gt; bit of man-made debris has struck or landed-on the surface?  Which <br>
&gt;&gt; leads us to the possibility that *all* moon-surface material is <br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;trampled earth&quot;, being &quot;trampled by meteors&quot;?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; As I write this I &quot;feel like moondust, trampled not only by <br>
&gt;&gt; meteorites/asteroids but also by cosmic rays&quot;...<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; What is the opposite-of/complement-to /reductio ad absurdum/ ? <br>
&gt;&gt; /ridiculum faciens nota /or more likely/ridiculum faciens usitata <br>
&gt;&gt; verberando sicut equus mortuus/<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On 2/17/23 12:35 AM, \u26e7 glen wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Doubling down on the incredulity fallacy? OK. Yes. There is <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; something it is like to be trampled dirt. I don&#39;t know what you mean <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; by &quot;mental stuff&quot;, of course. I don&#39;t do any mental stuff as far as <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I know. Everything I do is inherently &quot;body stuff&quot;. Maybe that&#39;s <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; because I&#39;ve experienced chronic pain my whole life. Maybe some of <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; you consistently live in a body free experience? I&#39;ve only <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; experienced that a few times, e.g. running in a fasted state. And I <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; later suffered for that indulgent delusion.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; No. Neither the dirt nor I do &quot;mental stuff&quot;. So you need a more <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; concrete question.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; On February 16, 2023 6:04:17 PM PST, Eric <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Charles&lt;<a href="mailto:eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com" target="_blank">eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;an account of the seemingly analogous position of panpsychism&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; What is that more than something people say?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Do *you* experience the dirt at your feet as having a mental life? <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If so,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell me about it: What is the dirt like when it seems to be doing <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mental<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; stuff? What kind of mental stuff is it doing?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If not: Have you seen anyone who earnestly thinks the dirt is doing <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; mental<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; stuff? If so, what were *they* like? How was that belief pervasive <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; in their<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; adjustments to the world? Based on your experiences with that <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; person, how<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do you think your ways of acting in the world would change if you <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; adopted<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; such a position?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:echarles@american.edu" target="_blank">echarles@american.edu</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 1:27 PM glen&lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com" target="_blank">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I don&#39;t grok the context well enough to equivocate on concepts <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; like &quot;have&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and &quot;category of being&quot;. But in response to Nick&#39;s question: &quot;What <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is there<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that animals do that demands us to invent categories to explain their<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; behavior?&quot;, my answer is &quot;animals discretize the ambient muck&quot;. So if<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorization is somehow fundamentally related to discretization, <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; then<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; animals clearly categorize in that sense.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I mean, all you have to do is consider the frequencies of light the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; animals&#39; eyeballs do or don&#39;t see. That&#39;s two categories right <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; there, the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; light they do see and the light they don&#39;t. Unless there&#39;s some <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sophistry<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; hidden behind the question, the answer seems clear. Reflection on <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; what one<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; does and does not categorize isn&#39;t necessary. I could even claim <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; my truck<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; discretizes fluids ... those that make it seize up versus <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; lubricate it,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; those that it burns vs those that stop it cold. Etc. Maybe the <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; question is<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; better formulated as &quot;What makes one impute categories on <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; another?&quot; Clearly<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; my truck doesn&#39;t impute categories on squirrels.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; But Nick does follow that question with this &quot;experience&quot; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nonsense. So my<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; guess is there *is* some sophistry behind the question, similar to <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; EricC&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; incredulous response to DaveW&#39;s question about phenomenological <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; composition<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of experience(s). What I find missing in Nick&#39;s (and EricC&#39;s) <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; distillation<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of experience monism is an account of the seemingly analogous <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; position of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; panpsychism. Were I a scholar, I might take such work on myself. <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; But I&#39;m<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; not and, hence, very much appreciate these distillations of dead <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; white<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; men&#39;s metaphysics and will take what I can get. 8^D<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On 2/16/23 09:22, Steve Smith wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Might I offer some terminology reframing, or at least ask for some<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; additional explication?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;   1. I think &quot;behaviours&quot; would be all Nick&#39;s Martians *could* <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; observe?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; They would be inferring &quot;experiences&quot; from observed behaviours?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;   2. When we talk about &quot;categories&quot; here, are we talking about<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;categories of being&quot;?  Ontologies, as it were?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Regarding ErisS&#39; reflections... I *do* think that animals behave *as<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; if* they &quot;have categories&quot;, though I don&#39;t know what it even means <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to say<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that they &quot;have categories&quot; in the way Aristotle and his <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; legacy-followers<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (e.g. us) do...   I would suggest/suspect that dogs and squirrels <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are in no<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; way aware of these &quot;categories&quot; and that to say that they do is a<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; projection by (us) humans who have fabricated the (useful in myriad<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; contexts) of a category/Category/ontology.   So in that sense they <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do NOT<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; *have* categories...   I think in this <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conception/thought-experiment we<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; assume that Martians *would* and would be looking to map their own<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ontologies onto the behaviour (and inferred  experiences and <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; judgements?)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; of Terran animals?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; If I were to invert the subject/object relation, I would suggest <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that it<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is &quot;affordances&quot; not &quot;experiences&quot; (or animals&#39; behaviours) we <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; want to<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorize into ontologies?  It is what things are &quot;good for&quot; that <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; make<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; them interesting/similar/different to living beings.   And &quot;good <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for&quot; is<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conditionally contextualized.   My dog and cat both find squirrels <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;good<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for&quot; chasing, but so too for baby rabbits and skunks (once).<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Or am I barking up the wrong set of reserved lexicons?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; To segue (as I am wont to do), it feels like this discussion <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; parallels<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the one about LLMs where we train the hell out of variations on <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; learning<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; classifier systems until they are as good as (or better than) we <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (humans)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are at predicting the next token in a string of human-generated <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tokens (or<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; synthesizing a string of tokens which humans cannot distinguish <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from a<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; string generated by another human, in particular one with the <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; proverbial<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 10,000 hours of specialized training).   The fact that or <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;ologies&quot; tend to<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; be recorded and organized as knowledge structures and in fact usually<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; *propogated* (taught/learnt) by the same makes us want to believe <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (some of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; us) that hidden inside these LLMs are precisely the same &quot;ologies&quot; we<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; encode in our myriad textbooks and professional journal articles?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think one of the questions that remains present within this <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; group&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; continued &#39;gurgitations is whether the organizations we have <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conjured are<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; particularly special, or just one of an infinitude of superposed<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; alternative formulations?   And whether some of those formulations <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; are<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; acutely occult and/or abstract and whether the existing (accepted)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; formulations (e.g. Western Philosophy and Science, etc) are <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; uniquely (and<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; exclusively or at least optimally) capable of capturing/describing <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; what is<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;really real&quot; (nod to George Berkeley).<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Some here (self included) may often suggest that such formulation <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is at<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; best a coincidence of history and as well as it &quot;covers&quot; a <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; description of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;reality&quot;, it is by circumstance and probably by abstract <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; conception (&quot;all<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; models are wrong...&quot;) incomplete and in error.  But nevertheless <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; still<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; useful...<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Maybe another way of reframing Nick&#39;s question (on a tangent) is <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to ask<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; whether the Barsoomians had their own Aristotle to conceive of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Categories?   Or did they train their telescopes on ancient Greece <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; and<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; learn Latin Lip Reading and adopt one or more the Greek&#39;s <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; philosophical<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; traditions?  And then, did the gas-balloon creatures floating in the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; atmosphere-substance of Jupiter observe the Martians&#39; who had <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; observed the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Greeks and thereby come up with their own Categories. Maybe it was <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; those<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; creatures who beamed these abstractions straight into the neural <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tissue of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the Aristotelians and Platonists?   Do gas-balloon creatures even <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; have<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; solids to be conceived of as Platonic?  And are they missing out <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; if they<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; don&#39;t?  Do they have their own Edwin Abbot Abbot?   And what would <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Cheela&lt;<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg</a>&gt;  say?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; My dog and the rock squirrels he chases want to know... so do the <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cholla<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cactus fruits/segments they hoard in their nests!<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mumble,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;    - Steve<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On 2/16/23 5:37 AM, Santafe wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; It\u2019s the tiniest and most idiosyncratic take on this question, but<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; FWIW, here:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href="https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I actually think that all of what Nick says below is a perfectly <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; good<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; draft of a POV.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; As to whether animals \u201chave\u201d categories: Spend time with a dog.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Doesn\u2019t take very much time.  Their interest in conspecifics is <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (ahem)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categorically different from their interest in people, different <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; than to<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; squirrels, different than to cats, different than to snakes.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; For me to even say that seems like cueing a narcissism of small<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; differences, when overwhelmingly, their behavior is structured around<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categories, as is everyone else\u2019s.  Squirrels don\u2019t mistake acorns <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; for<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; birds of prey.  Or for the tree limbs and house roofs one can jump <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; onto.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Or for other squirrels.  It\u2019s all categories.  Behavior is an <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; operation on<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; categories.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I found it interesting that you invoked \u201cnouns\u201d as a framework <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that is<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; helpful but sometimes obstructive.  One might just have said <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201cwords\u201d.  This<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; is interesting to me already, because my syntactician friends will <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell you<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that a noun is not, as we were taught as children, a \u201cword for a <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; person,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; place, or thing\u201d, but rather a \u201cword in a language that transforms <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; as nouns<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; transform in that language\u201d, which is a bit of an obfuscation, <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; since they<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; do have in common that they are in some way \u201cobject-words\u201d.  But <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; polysemy and synonymy perspective, we see that \u201cmeanings\u201d cross the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; noun-verb syntactic distinction quite frequently for some categories.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Eye/see, ear/hear, moon/shine, and stuff like that.  My typologist <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; friends<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell me that is common but particular to some meanings much more than<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; others.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Another fun thing I was told by Ted Chiang a few months ago, <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; which I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; was amazed I had not heard from linguists, and still want to hold in<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; reserve until I can check it further.  He says that languages without<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; written forms do not have a word for \u201cword\u201d.  If true, that seems <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; very<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; interesting and important.  If Chiang believes it to be true, it is<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; probably already a strong enough regularity to be more-or-less <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; true, and<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; thus still interesting and important.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Eric<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On Feb 15, 2023, at 1:19 PM,&lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt;   &lt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; FWiW, I willmake every effort to arrive fed to Thuam by 10.30<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Mountain.  I want to hear the experts among you hold forth on WTF a<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; cateogory actually IS.  I am thinking (duh) that a category is a <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more or<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; less diffuse node in a network of associations (signs, if you <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; must).  Hence<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; they constitute a vast table of what goes with what, what is <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; predictable<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; from what, etc.  This accommodates \u201cfamily resemblance\u201d quite <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nicely.  Do<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think animals have categories, in this sense, ABSOLUTELY EFFING <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; YES. Does<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; this make me a (shudder) nominalist?  I hope not.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Words\u2026nouns in particular\u2026 confuse this category business.  Words<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; place constraints on how vague these nodes can be.   They impose <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; on the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; network constraints to which it is ill suited.  True, the more my<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; associations with \u201chorse\u201d line up with your associations with <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201chorse\u201d, the<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; more true the horse seems.  Following Peirce, I would say that <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; where our<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; nodes increasingly correspond with increasing shared experience, <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; we have<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; evidence ot the (ultimate) truth of the nodes, their \u201creality\u201d in <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Peirce\u2019s<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; terms.  Here is where I am striving to hang on to Peirce\u2019s realism.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; The reason I want the geeks to participate tomorrow is that I keep<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; thinking of a semantic webby thing that Steve devised for the <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Institute<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; about a decade ago.   Now a semantic web would be a kind of <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; metaphor for an<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; associative web; don\u2019t associate with other words in exactly the same<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; manner in which experiences associate with other experiences.  <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Still, I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; think the metaphor is interesting.  Also, I am kind of <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; re-interested in my<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; \u201cauthorial voice\u201d, how much it operates like cbt.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
<br>
-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</blockquote></div>