<div dir="ltr"><font color="#9900ff">I don&#39;t know what you mean by &quot;mental stuff&quot;, of course.</font><br clear="all"><div><div dir="ltr" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><span style="color:rgb(34,34,34)"><br></span></div><div><span style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">Well... In this context, I mean whatever the &quot;psyche&quot; part of panpsychism entails. <br><br>Given that I don&#39;t believe in disembodied minds, I&#39;m with you 100% on everything you do being &quot;body stuff&quot;. Which, presumably, leads to the empirical question of what types of bodies do &quot;psyche&quot;, and where those types of bodies can be found. </span></div><div><span style="color:rgb(34,34,34)"><br></span></div><div><span style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">You say further that: </span><font color="#9900ff">No. Neither the dirt nor I do &quot;mental stuff&quot;.<br></font><br></div><div>Well, now we have something to actually talk about then! Dave West, unsurprisingly, stepped in strongly on the side of dirt having psyche in at least a rudimentary form, I presume he would assert that you (Glen) do mental stuff too. Dave also asserts that his belief in panpsychism <i>does</i> affect how he lives in the world. Exactly to the extent that his way of living in the world is made different by the belief, panpsychism <i><u>is</u></i> more than just something he says. </div><div><br></div><div>Steve&#39;s discussion about what it would feel like to be the bit of dirt trampled beneath a particular foot is a bit of a tangent - potentially interesting in its own right. His discussion of when he, personally, starts to attribute identity - and potentially psyche - to clumps of inanimate stuff seems directly on topic, especially as he too has listed some ways his behaviors change when he becomes engaged in those habits. </div><div dir="ltr"><br><div dir="ltr" style="color:rgb(34,34,34)"><br></div><div></div></div><div dir="ltr"><a href="mailto:echarles@american.edu" target="_blank"></a></div></div></div></div></div></div><br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 2:36 AM \u26e7 glen &lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com" target="_blank">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Doubling down on the incredulity fallacy? OK. Yes. There is something it is like to be trampled dirt. I don&#39;t know what you mean by &quot;mental stuff&quot;, of course. I don&#39;t do any mental stuff as far as I know. Everything I do is inherently &quot;body stuff&quot;. Maybe that&#39;s because I&#39;ve experienced chronic pain my whole life. Maybe some of you consistently live in a body free experience? I&#39;ve only experienced that a few times, e.g. running in a fasted state. And I later suffered for that indulgent delusion.<br>
<br>
No. Neither the dirt nor I do &quot;mental stuff&quot;. So you need a more concrete question. <br>
<br>
On February 16, 2023 6:04:17 PM PST, Eric Charles &lt;<a href="mailto:eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com" target="_blank">eric.phillip.charles@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&quot;an account of the seemingly analogous position of panpsychism&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;What is that more than something people say?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Do *you* experience the dirt at your feet as having a mental life? If so,<br>
&gt;tell me about it: What is the dirt like when it seems to be doing mental<br>
&gt;stuff? What kind of mental stuff is it doing?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;If not: Have you seen anyone who earnestly thinks the dirt is doing mental<br>
&gt;stuff? If so, what were *they* like? How was that belief pervasive in their<br>
&gt;adjustments to the world? Based on your experiences with that person, how<br>
&gt;do you think your ways of acting in the world would change if you adopted<br>
&gt;such a position?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&lt;<a href="mailto:echarles@american.edu" target="_blank">echarles@american.edu</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 1:27 PM glen &lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com" target="_blank">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I don&#39;t grok the context well enough to equivocate on concepts like &quot;have&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt; and &quot;category of being&quot;. But in response to Nick&#39;s question: &quot;What is there<br>
&gt;&gt; that animals do that demands us to invent categories to explain their<br>
&gt;&gt; behavior?&quot;, my answer is &quot;animals discretize the ambient muck&quot;. So if<br>
&gt;&gt; categorization is somehow fundamentally related to discretization, then<br>
&gt;&gt; animals clearly categorize in that sense.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I mean, all you have to do is consider the frequencies of light the<br>
&gt;&gt; animals&#39; eyeballs do or don&#39;t see. That&#39;s two categories right there, the<br>
&gt;&gt; light they do see and the light they don&#39;t. Unless there&#39;s some sophistry<br>
&gt;&gt; hidden behind the question, the answer seems clear. Reflection on what one<br>
&gt;&gt; does and does not categorize isn&#39;t necessary. I could even claim my truck<br>
&gt;&gt; discretizes fluids ... those that make it seize up versus lubricate it,<br>
&gt;&gt; those that it burns vs those that stop it cold. Etc. Maybe the question is<br>
&gt;&gt; better formulated as &quot;What makes one impute categories on another?&quot; Clearly<br>
&gt;&gt; my truck doesn&#39;t impute categories on squirrels.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; But Nick does follow that question with this &quot;experience&quot; nonsense. So my<br>
&gt;&gt; guess is there *is* some sophistry behind the question, similar to EricC&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt; incredulous response to DaveW&#39;s question about phenomenological composition<br>
&gt;&gt; of experience(s). What I find missing in Nick&#39;s (and EricC&#39;s) distillation<br>
&gt;&gt; of experience monism is an account of the seemingly analogous position of<br>
&gt;&gt; panpsychism. Were I a scholar, I might take such work on myself. But I&#39;m<br>
&gt;&gt; not and, hence, very much appreciate these distillations of dead white<br>
&gt;&gt; men&#39;s metaphysics and will take what I can get. 8^D<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On 2/16/23 09:22, Steve Smith wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Might I offer some terminology reframing, or at least ask for some<br>
&gt;&gt; additional explication?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;  1. I think &quot;behaviours&quot; would be all Nick&#39;s Martians *could* observe?<br>
&gt;&gt; They would be inferring &quot;experiences&quot; from observed behaviours?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;  2. When we talk about &quot;categories&quot; here, are we talking about<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;categories of being&quot;?  Ontologies, as it were?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Regarding ErisS&#39; reflections...   I *do* think that animals behave *as<br>
&gt;&gt; if* they &quot;have categories&quot;, though I don&#39;t know what it even means to say<br>
&gt;&gt; that they &quot;have categories&quot; in the way Aristotle and his legacy-followers<br>
&gt;&gt; (e.g. us) do...   I would suggest/suspect that dogs and squirrels are in no<br>
&gt;&gt; way aware of these &quot;categories&quot; and that to say that they do is a<br>
&gt;&gt; projection by (us) humans who have fabricated the (useful in myriad<br>
&gt;&gt; contexts) of a category/Category/ontology.   So in that sense they do NOT<br>
&gt;&gt; *have* categories...   I think in this conception/thought-experiment we<br>
&gt;&gt; assume that Martians *would* and would be looking to map their own<br>
&gt;&gt; ontologies onto the behaviour (and inferred  experiences and judgements?)<br>
&gt;&gt; of Terran animals?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; If I were to invert the subject/object relation, I would suggest that it<br>
&gt;&gt; is &quot;affordances&quot; not &quot;experiences&quot; (or animals&#39; behaviours) we want to<br>
&gt;&gt; categorize into ontologies?  It is what things are &quot;good for&quot; that make<br>
&gt;&gt; them interesting/similar/different to living beings.   And &quot;good for&quot; is<br>
&gt;&gt; conditionally contextualized.   My dog and cat both find squirrels &quot;good<br>
&gt;&gt; for&quot; chasing, but so too for baby rabbits and skunks (once).<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Or am I barking up the wrong set of reserved lexicons?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; To segue (as I am wont to do), it feels like this discussion parallels<br>
&gt;&gt; the one about LLMs where we train the hell out of variations on learning<br>
&gt;&gt; classifier systems until they are as good as (or better than) we (humans)<br>
&gt;&gt; are at predicting the next token in a string of human-generated tokens (or<br>
&gt;&gt; synthesizing a string of tokens which humans cannot distinguish from a<br>
&gt;&gt; string generated by another human, in particular one with the proverbial<br>
&gt;&gt; 10,000 hours of specialized training).   The fact that or &quot;ologies&quot; tend to<br>
&gt;&gt; be recorded and organized as knowledge structures and in fact usually<br>
&gt;&gt; *propogated* (taught/learnt) by the same makes us want to believe (some of<br>
&gt;&gt; us) that hidden inside these LLMs are precisely the same &quot;ologies&quot; we<br>
&gt;&gt; encode in our myriad textbooks and professional journal articles?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; I think one of the questions that remains present within this group&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt; continued &#39;gurgitations is whether the organizations we have conjured are<br>
&gt;&gt; particularly special, or just one of an infinitude of superposed<br>
&gt;&gt; alternative formulations?   And whether some of those formulations are<br>
&gt;&gt; acutely occult and/or abstract and whether the existing (accepted)<br>
&gt;&gt; formulations (e.g. Western Philosophy and Science, etc) are uniquely (and<br>
&gt;&gt; exclusively or at least optimally) capable of capturing/describing what is<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;really real&quot; (nod to George Berkeley).<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Some here (self included) may often suggest that such formulation is at<br>
&gt;&gt; best a coincidence of history and as well as it &quot;covers&quot; a description of<br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;reality&quot;, it is by circumstance and probably by abstract conception (&quot;all<br>
&gt;&gt; models are wrong...&quot;) incomplete and in error.  But nevertheless still<br>
&gt;&gt; useful...<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Maybe another way of reframing Nick&#39;s question (on a tangent) is to ask<br>
&gt;&gt; whether the Barsoomians had their own Aristotle to conceive of<br>
&gt;&gt; Categories?   Or did they train their telescopes on ancient Greece and<br>
&gt;&gt; learn Latin Lip Reading and adopt one or more the Greek&#39;s philosophical<br>
&gt;&gt; traditions?  And then, did the gas-balloon creatures floating in the<br>
&gt;&gt; atmosphere-substance of Jupiter observe the Martians&#39; who had observed the<br>
&gt;&gt; Greeks and thereby come up with their own Categories.   Maybe it was those<br>
&gt;&gt; creatures who beamed these abstractions straight into the neural tissue of<br>
&gt;&gt; the Aristotelians and Platonists?   Do gas-balloon creatures even have<br>
&gt;&gt; solids to be conceived of as Platonic?  And are they missing out if they<br>
&gt;&gt; don&#39;t?  Do they have their own Edwin Abbot Abbot?   And what would the<br>
&gt;&gt; Cheela &lt;<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg</a>&gt; say?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; My dog and the rock squirrels he chases want to know... so do the cholla<br>
&gt;&gt; cactus fruits/segments they hoard in their nests!<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Mumble,<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;   - Steve<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; On 2/16/23 5:37 AM, Santafe wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; It\u2019s the tiniest and most idiosyncratic take on this question, but<br>
&gt;&gt; FWIW, here:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; <a href="https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I actually think that all of what Nick says below is a perfectly good<br>
&gt;&gt; draft of a POV.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; As to whether animals \u201chave\u201d categories: Spend time with a dog.<br>
&gt;&gt; Doesn\u2019t take very much time.  Their interest in conspecifics is (ahem)<br>
&gt;&gt; categorically different from their interest in people, different than to<br>
&gt;&gt; squirrels, different than to cats, different than to snakes.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; For me to even say that seems like cueing a narcissism of small<br>
&gt;&gt; differences, when overwhelmingly, their behavior is structured around<br>
&gt;&gt; categories, as is everyone else\u2019s.  Squirrels don\u2019t mistake acorns for<br>
&gt;&gt; birds of prey.  Or for the tree limbs and house roofs one can jump onto.<br>
&gt;&gt; Or for other squirrels.  It\u2019s all categories.  Behavior is an operation on<br>
&gt;&gt; categories.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I found it interesting that you invoked \u201cnouns\u201d as a framework that is<br>
&gt;&gt; helpful but sometimes obstructive.  One might just have said \u201cwords\u201d.  This<br>
&gt;&gt; is interesting to me already, because my syntactician friends will tell you<br>
&gt;&gt; that a noun is not, as we were taught as children, a \u201cword for a person,<br>
&gt;&gt; place, or thing\u201d, but rather a \u201cword in a language that transforms as nouns<br>
&gt;&gt; transform in that language\u201d, which is a bit of an obfuscation, since they<br>
&gt;&gt; do have in common that they are in some way \u201cobject-words\u201d.  But from the<br>
&gt;&gt; polysemy and synonymy perspective, we see that \u201cmeanings\u201d cross the<br>
&gt;&gt; noun-verb syntactic distinction quite frequently for some categories.<br>
&gt;&gt; Eye/see, ear/hear, moon/shine, and stuff like that.  My typologist friends<br>
&gt;&gt; tell me that is common but particular to some meanings much more than<br>
&gt;&gt; others.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Another fun thing I was told by Ted Chiang a few months ago, which I<br>
&gt;&gt; was amazed I had not heard from linguists, and still want to hold in<br>
&gt;&gt; reserve until I can check it further.  He says that languages without<br>
&gt;&gt; written forms do not have a word for \u201cword\u201d.  If true, that seems very<br>
&gt;&gt; interesting and important.  If Chiang believes it to be true, it is<br>
&gt;&gt; probably already a strong enough regularity to be more-or-less true, and<br>
&gt;&gt; thus still interesting and important.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; Eric<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; On Feb 15, 2023, at 1:19 PM,&lt;<a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt;  &lt;<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href="mailto:thompnickson2@gmail.com" target="_blank">thompnickson2@gmail.com</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; FWiW, I willmake every effort to arrive fed to Thuam by 10.30<br>
&gt;&gt; Mountain.  I want to hear the experts among you hold forth on WTF a<br>
&gt;&gt; cateogory actually IS.  I am thinking (duh) that a category is a more or<br>
&gt;&gt; less diffuse node in a network of associations (signs, if you must).  Hence<br>
&gt;&gt; they constitute a vast table of what goes with what, what is predictable<br>
&gt;&gt; from what, etc.  This accommodates \u201cfamily resemblance\u201d  quite nicely.  Do<br>
&gt;&gt; I think animals have categories, in this sense, ABSOLUTELY EFFING YES. Does<br>
&gt;&gt; this make me a (shudder) nominalist?  I hope not.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Words\u2026nouns in particular\u2026 confuse this category business.  Words<br>
&gt;&gt; place constraints on how vague these nodes can be.   They impose on the<br>
&gt;&gt; network constraints to which it is ill suited.  True, the more my<br>
&gt;&gt; associations with \u201chorse\u201d line up with your associations with \u201chorse\u201d, the<br>
&gt;&gt; more true the horse seems.  Following Peirce, I would say that where our<br>
&gt;&gt; nodes increasingly correspond with increasing shared experience, we have<br>
&gt;&gt; evidence ot the (ultimate) truth of the nodes, their \u201creality\u201d in Peirce\u2019s<br>
&gt;&gt; terms.  Here is where I am striving to hang on to Peirce\u2019s realism.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; The reason I want the geeks to participate tomorrow is that I keep<br>
&gt;&gt; thinking of a semantic webby thing that Steve devised for the Institute<br>
&gt;&gt; about a decade ago.   Now a semantic web would be a kind of metaphor for an<br>
&gt;&gt; associative web; don\u2019t associate with other words in exactly the same<br>
&gt;&gt; manner in which experiences associate with other experiences.  Still, I<br>
&gt;&gt; think the metaphor is interesting.  Also, I am kind of re-interested in my<br>
&gt;&gt; \u201cauthorial voice\u201d, how much it operates like cbt.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; <br>
-- <br>
glen \u26e7<br>
<br>
-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</blockquote></div>