<div dir="auto"><div>Re self-identification.  We adopted our daughter in Mexico and moved from Pittsburgh to Santa Fe about a year later.  When she came home after her first day of kindergarten at E. J. Martinez I asked her if there were other Hispanic kids in her class.  She said, &quot;I dunno&quot;.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Based on the kids who became her friends I&#39;d say they were oblivious to ethnicity.</div><div><br></div><div data-smartmail="gmail_signature">---<br>Frank C. Wimberly<br>140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br>Santa Fe, NM 87505<br><br>505 670-9918<br>Santa Fe, NM</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Aug 6, 2024, 8:30\u202fAM glen &lt;<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com">gepropella@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;m in an ongoing argument with some of my salon goers about identity. People seem to straddle its multiple meanings for rhetorical (or confirmation biasing) purposes, fluidly switching one context/meaning for another so often and so fluidly as to prevent me from understanding whatever it is they&#39;re saying (or trying to avoid saying).<br>
<br>
Introspection is rife with such problems, including a six year old coming to some self-identification/registration as a member of some crisp class/category. The most recent Bad Faith rhetoric about identity had to do with &quot;neurodivergent&quot;. There seems to be a trend amongst &quot;the kids these days&quot; to identify as autistic or ADHD. I mean, I was clearly &quot;different&quot; when I was a kid. We had identities like &quot;head&quot; (kid who does lots of drugs), &quot;jock&quot; (kids who spent lots of time in organized athletics), &quot;brain&quot; (kids who spent time doing chess, math, ...), etc. There was also a name for the [metal|wood|\u2026] shop kids. But I&#39;ve forgotten it.<br>
<br>
Some of us were diagnosed with various labels including some words we&#39;re not supposed to say anymore. Many of my friends had such conditions. But none of us *identified* as those diagnoses. The diagnoses seemed almost orthogonal to the identities/tribes. (I happened to be a member of the heads, jocks, brains, and &quot;band nerd&quot; tribes; that multi-tribe crossover was part of what made me feel &quot;different&quot;.) And each group had its share of the same diagnoses.<br>
<br>
It seems to me that our tech-associated, individualistic, isolation has driven &quot;the kids&quot; to over-emphasize their diagnoses, to adopt them as identities/tribes, identifying from the inside-&gt;out; whereas we (can&#39;t speak for anyone else, really) mostly identified from the outside-&gt;in. We were sorted by society. The kids these days seem more self-sorted. On the one hand, that could feel like increased liberty and free association. But on the other hand, it&#39;s like everyone is a home-schooled weirdo these days and nobody knows how to, for example, bite their tongue or avoid picking their nose in public.<br>
<br>
Not everybody needs to be a Hunter S Thompson, &quot;neurodivergent&quot;, or whatever. Some of us should be allowed to identify as &quot;normal&quot;. Introspection is a sickness.<br>
<br>
On 8/5/24 17:01, steve smith wrote:<br>
&gt; I jumped straight to the Artistic meaning of /frottage/ as coined originally by Max Ernst and while not as an act of psychopathy, it does have strong implications for the psychological/subconscious implications in this context?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In any case, I find it a compelling opening line of the /call me Ishmael/ caliber.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On 8/5/24 10:04 AM, Prof David West wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; This is very interesting, and timely. I am completing an autobiography/essay/monograph for which this will be quite relevant. The opening lines of the work:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; /&quot;An act of frottage triggered the self-recognition that I was a psychopath. I did not, of course, know either term or their meanings./<br>
&gt;&gt; /<br>
&gt;&gt; /<br>
&gt;&gt; /I was six.&quot; /<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; davew<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Thu, Aug 1, 2024, at 11:03 AM, glen wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Progress or Pathology? Differential Diagnosis and Intervention Criteria<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; for Meditation-Related Challenges: Perspectives From Buddhist<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Meditation Teachers and Practitioners<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href="https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7403193/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7403193/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Based on our conversation attempting to identify behavioral markers for<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; consciousness, I thought this paper might give some insight into Dave&#39;s<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; straddling of mystical and materialistic descriptions of experiences he<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; marks as conscious. In the paper, they lay out 11 levers for making the<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; distinction:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Circumstances of Onset<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Control<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Critical Attitude<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Cultural Compatibility<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Distress<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Duration<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Functional Impairment<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Health History or Condition<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Impact<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Phenomenological Qualities<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; \u2022 Teachers\u2019 Skills or Resources<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;  From my perspective that consciousness is a kind of fusion function,<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Control, Critical Attitude, Distress, and Functional Impairment are<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; primary and the rest are secondary. The ability to (change one&#39;s) focus<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; of attention is a hallmark of consciousness, and those 4 levers<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; direclty target one&#39;s ability to focus. Duration may well be secondary<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; and the rest tertiary, I guess. Because there&#39;s something like a<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; half-life of controllability. If, say, you&#39;re a conspiracy theorist,<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; and you *entertain*, say, flat earth for long enough, maybe you&#39;ll lack<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; the ability to re-focus and don a critical attitude. Similarly, if you<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; embed into, say, procedural programming long enough, maybe you&#39;ll lose<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; the ability to re-focus and think functionally ... a kind of Functional<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Impairment (sorry for the polysemy of &quot;functional&quot;, there).<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
<br>
<br>
-- <br>
\ua66e M\u0265\u01ddu \u01ddl\u01ddd\u0265\u0250u\u0287s \u025f\u1d09\u0183\u0265\u0287&#39; \u0287\u0265\u01dd \u0183\u0279\u0250ss sn\u025f\u025f\u01dd\u0279s\u02d9 \ua66e<br>
<br>
-. --- - / ...- .- .-.. .. -.. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</blockquote></div>