<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        mso-ligatures:none;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt'>The video about how she failed at being an academic I think is informative.   It isn\u2019t a technical video \u2013 she has those too \u2013one is not universal, but also not a implausible story about the experience about how it is to raise money to support research.   A grad student might watch that and say to themselves, \u201cDo I really want that life? Do I want to be this bitter?\u201d   \u201cMaybe I should monetize videos of my cat on YouTube?\u201d<br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>From: </span></b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; on behalf of steve smith &lt;sasmyth@swcp.com&gt;<br><b>Date: </b>Monday, November 11, 2024 at 8:16\u202fAM<br><b>To: </b>friam@redfish.com &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [FRIAM] hyperbole (was Re: How democracies die)<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt'><br>glen wrote:<br>&gt; ...<br><br>&gt; The complaint against Sabine and many in the wacko pipeline is that <br>&gt; their wacko content gets more views. And more views means more money. <br>&gt; Her boring videos don't get as much traffic as her wacko videos. So <br>&gt; she's incentivized toward the wacko. She's not defying any rules. <br>&gt; She's caught up in the forcing structure, obeying the rule even if she <br>&gt; doesn't want to. And that means she *is* doing her job, profiting off <br>&gt; clickbait and misinformation. It's just not the job of an academic.<br><br>When Sabine blossomed as an entertaining source of parallax on topics I <br>was interested in I must have watched at least parts of at least a dozen <br>of her pieces and appreciated, well, the *parallax* of it... but in <br>fact, the thumbs and the titles and some of the content was in fact <br>hyperbolic at least in style... and it got old and I rarely click <br>through, though I think I still accept that if Sabine is &quot;going on&quot; <br>about something it might mean there is a &quot;there there&quot; even if she isn't <br>going to help me understand it straight.<br><br>Which jiggers me sideways (slantweiz?) over to Emily Dickenson's poem: <br>&quot;Tell all the truth but tell it slant&quot;.<br><br>What is it about language and truth which maybe sometimes needs to be <br>&quot;snuck up on&quot;?&nbsp; Or is that just a romanticized misdirection?<br><br>The various (coupled?) recommenders (Google News, YouTube, Ground News) <br>in my world have finally come to marginalize her work with me, only <br>tossing it up only when some combination of conditions occur.&nbsp; I want to <br>describe it as the &quot;trajectory of my attention intersecting some <br>high-dimensional manifold&quot; but this is even more incomplete in my minds <br>eye than many of the things I share here already.&nbsp;&nbsp; I also want to (and <br>therefore apparently am) overlay the idiom of fractality and attractors, <br>as if the &quot;sneaking up&quot; has something to do with slowing down and being <br>careful about the &quot;trajectory&quot; in this high-dimensional conceptual phase <br>space?<br><br>What is the &quot;delta-V&quot; of conceptual space?&nbsp; Is it a continuum, a metric <br>space, or topological?&nbsp; I suppose I've gone &quot;full slant&quot; here... so I <br>have to wonder what *my* forcing rules are?<br><br>&gt;<br>&gt; On 11/9/24 14:52, Marcus Daniels wrote:<br>&gt;&gt; Ah, she\u2019s a scholar but not an academic. &nbsp;I think that would make <br>&gt;&gt; DeepMind researchers not academics either, or researchers that work <br>&gt;&gt; for organizations like Petrobras (even though they publish).&nbsp; That <br>&gt;&gt; just says to me that academics aren\u2019t hyperbolic in informal <br>&gt;&gt; communication not because they fear for their credibility, but <br>&gt;&gt; because they are afraid to antagonize the kind of social network that <br>&gt;&gt; funds them.&nbsp; Graeme Smith comes to mind as someone that makes <br>&gt;&gt; hyperbolic statements on social media relevant to his field but is an <br>&gt;&gt; academic in the sense you mean.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; Another reason I could see academics don\u2019t speak freely is because <br>&gt;&gt; they risk their rewarding gigs as advisors in the judicial or <br>&gt;&gt; executive activities of government.&nbsp; Everyone has politics to <br>&gt;&gt; navigate, but I appreciate it when people like Sabine defy the rules.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; *From: *Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; on behalf of glen <br>&gt;&gt; &lt;gepropella@gmail.com&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; *Date: *Saturday, November 9, 2024 at 2:27\u202fPM<br>&gt;&gt; *To: *friam@redfish.com &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; *Subject: *[FRIAM] hyperbole (was Re: How democracies die)<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; Maybe my use of the word is too constrained. I tend to use it as I <br>&gt;&gt; think Sabine (and Eric Weinstein and maybe Stephan Wolfram) use it. <br>&gt;&gt; I.e. they claim they're not part of it. So why shouldn't I believe <br>&gt;&gt; them? As in the people within the academy, *some* type of institution <br>&gt;&gt; that combines teaching with research. That would include pretty much <br>&gt;&gt; anything with the *.edu on the end. SFI is on the outer edge. <br>&gt;&gt; Heterodox Academy is even closer to the edge ... or perhaps just <br>&gt;&gt; barely outside of it. Something like Prager University is definitely <br>&gt;&gt; outside of it. The *primary* aspect of my conception is <br>&gt;&gt; grantsmanship, which is a hallmark of non-profit activities. If it's <br>&gt;&gt; a for profit enterprise, it's difficult for me to consider it &quot;the <br>&gt;&gt; academy&quot;.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; But I suppose I could loosen my definition and consider relatively <br>&gt;&gt; independent science communicators like Sabine or Neil deGrasse Tyson <br>&gt;&gt; as peri-academics (or maybe even para-academics). Then it would be a <br>&gt;&gt; short hop to, say, fossil fuel lobbyists. There's some kind of <br>&gt;&gt; slippery slope, here. And that's why I like to stick to grantsmanship <br>&gt;&gt; for academicy stuff. (It also applies to other non-profits ... or the <br>&gt;&gt; hunt for a sugar momma, even ... patronage. But academics, because <br>&gt;&gt; they're also scholars, have a more sedate and systematic matrix to <br>&gt;&gt; navigate.)<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; The other element that separates people like Neil deGrasse Tyson or <br>&gt;&gt; Professor Dave or Angela Collier from people like Sabine is that they <br>&gt;&gt; engage in less hyperbole. My experience with serious academics is <br>&gt;&gt; they don't run around yelling things like &quot;Science is Dying&quot;. <br>&gt;&gt; Academics tend to be more measured, restrained, particular, and a bit <br>&gt;&gt; boring. Of course, as they age out, they go a bit batshˇt. It seems <br>&gt;&gt; to me emeriti engage in more hyperbole than working academics.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; So long story short: Sabine's not an academic because she doesn't <br>&gt;&gt; spend her time writing grants. And she's not an academic because too <br>&gt;&gt; much of her work product is hyperbolic.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; On 11/8/24 22:33, Marcus Daniels wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm still confused why you say Hossenfelder isn't an academic.&nbsp; <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Scholar.google.com doesn't see it that way:&nbsp; Cited by 5,426.&nbsp;&nbsp; She <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; has recent publications.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br><br>.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp; Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>archives:&nbsp; 5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>&nbsp; 1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp; <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>