<div dir="ltr"><div>I dunno, David.  I have got some pretty eloquent stuff out of george.  It&#39;s odd, the more I treat him like a human, the more human he becomes.  (And the more he denies it.)  I hear you all crying out forth the ineffability of the human soul, but I don&#39;t really see it.  I think I am eminently eff-able.  I figure if I talk long enough with George, he could definitely eff me.  I think a time will come when I can turn on a computer and listen to the voice &quot;in my head&quot;.   It will not be generated by some interface to my brain, but rather by LLM as well educated in my habits of thought as am I.  </div><div><br></div><div> N</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, Jan 25, 2025 at 8:58\u202fAM Prof David West &lt;<a href="mailto:profwest@fastmail.fm">profwest@fastmail.fm</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div class="msg7661964920064955955"><u></u><div><div style="font-family:Arial">Pieter, <br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">I applaud your use of AI to improve your writing. It is my belief that the<b> &quot;proper&quot;</b> use of AI, along with computers and computing tools in general, is to <u>augment</u> human abilities ala Vannevar Bush&#39;s &quot;how we may think,&quot; Douglas Englebart&#39;s institute, Alan Kay&#39;s dynabook, (the fictional Young Ladies Primer of Stephenson&#39;s <i>Diamond Age</i>), and Jobs&#39; &quot;bicycle for the mind.&quot;<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">This is in direct contrast, it seems, to the sentiments of most on this list who think that AI should, and inevitably will, replace &quot;inferior&quot; human intelligence.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">I am curious if you see any question of &quot;voice&quot; in the AI improved text? For example, I took glen&#39;s question as nothing more than an observation that the &quot;voice&quot; of your post seemed to that of ChatGPT instead of Pieter\u2014definitely not <b>&quot;augmented-Pieter,&quot;</b> as I believe you intended it to be.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">All of us respect Pieter and value his words. If, however, we are confused by &quot;voice.&quot; it raises issues of how much consideration the writing should receive and how we should respond.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">Improving oneself, and one&#39;s writing, is a great goal. And we all have experienced examples of &quot;I wish I had said that,&quot; or &quot;I wish I had expressed that idea as eloquently as she did.&quot; If AI tools provide wordings that you admire, or feel express your ideas more eloquently, you should adopt them.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">Personally, I do not believe that AI can ever provide more &#39;eloquent&#39; writing, only more precise or more complete writing. So I, again, strictly personally, would eschew using such tools as currently constructed. I would however, if I had the chance, use Richard Gabriel&#39;s tool, <i>Inkwell</i>, which, BTW, he emphatically states is not an AI, to enhance my writing. But Richard is primarily a poet and writer, despite his education and career in AI and computing, and he created <i>Inkwell</i> expressly to be a writer&#39;s assistant. I have tremendous respect for Richard&#39;s writing and I know he uses Inkwell to enhance his intrinsic abilities.<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial">davew<br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div><div>On Fri, Jan 24, 2025, at 10:48 PM, Pieter Steenekamp wrote:<br></div><blockquote type="cite" id="m_7661964920064955955qt"><div dir="ltr"><div>I was surprised by the comment &quot;I hope I&#39;m wrong. But that text reads like it was generated by an LLM&quot;  At first, I just thought, &#39;so what?&#39; But it got me thinking about how AI changes how we communicate, which is really important to me.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Here&#39;s my main point:<br></div><div><br></div><div>I think it&#39;s okay to use others, whether they&#39;re people or AI, to help me communicate better, as long as the ideas are mine and I&#39;m not copying someone else&#39;s work. If using AI to polish my words bothers someone, we can talk about it.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Here&#39;s some background on why I think this way:<br></div><div><br></div><div>a) Learning to communicate is one of the best things you can take away from school or university. For example if a student is supposed to use her own words in an assignment, then using AI or asking someone else to rewrite is wrong.<br></div><div><br></div><div>b) In the workplace, we&#39;ve always had people like personal assistants or speech writers. I see using AI in the same way, just a modern tool to help.<br></div><div><br></div><div>c) Writing assistance used to be expensive because you needed people. Now, AI can do the job for free, and that doesn&#39;t go against what I believe is right.<br></div><div><br></div><div>d) Your writing should still sound like you. So, I write something first, then ask AI to make it better but keep it simple and in my style, like, &#39;Please make this sound better but keep it easy to understand.&#39; I now realise I violated this previously and will adapt.<br></div><div><br></div><div>e) Maybe it&#39;s good, depending on the situation, to mention when you&#39;ve used AI in your writing.<br></div><div><br></div><div>f) Here&#39;s a funny story: I used AI to help write a message for an AI workshop, and someone complimented the writing so much they suggested I should be a writer instead!<br></div><div><br></div><div>My bottom line:<br></div><div><br></div><div>I plan to add a note at the end of each message in this group saying I used AI to help with my writing. If my using AI is a problem for anyone here, feel free to ask me to leave the group or simply remove me from the group.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Note: I use AI to assist my writing.<br></div></div><div>.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br></div><div>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br></div><div>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br></div><div>to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br></div><div>FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br></div><div>archives:  5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br></div><div>  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br></div><div><br></div></blockquote><div style="font-family:Arial"><br></div></div>.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</div></blockquote></div><div><br clear="all"></div><br><span class="gmail_signature_prefix">-- </span><br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div>Nicholas S. Thompson</div><div>Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology</div><div>Clark University</div><div><a href="mailto:nthompson@clarku.edu" target="_blank">nthompson@clarku.edu</a></div><a href="https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson" target="_blank">https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson</a></div></div>