<div dir="ltr">While the principle of least action is a powerful tool for calculating the path of a physical system, it\u2019s important to understand that it doesn\u2019t imply that the system has any foresight about its future position. The ball, when thrown, doesn\u2019t \u201cknow\u201d where it will land; it simply follows the path determined by its initial conditions and the forces acting on it. The principle of least action is a mathematical description that happens to characterize that path, not a mechanism by which the ball plans its trajectory. Popular science might sometimes personify the ball, suggesting it \u201cchooses\u201d the path of least action, but that\u2019s as accurate as saying that a rock chooses to fall when dropped. The ball is just acting according to the laws of physics, not planning its actions.</div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, 14 Mar 2025 at 15:23, Barry MacKichan <<a href="mailto:barry.mackichan@mackichan.com">barry.mackichan@mackichan.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
<div><div style="font-family:sans-serif"><div style="white-space:normal"><p dir="auto">(Sorry about the previous message: the key that I thought typed \u2206 actually sent the email before I finished. As I was saying:</p>
<p dir="auto">I don\u2019t see that there is any problem here. Suppose at some point the ball reasons as follows: I\u2019ve gotten to this point, and my trajectory so far is the one with the least action. What is the vector I should follow for the next \u2206t time interval so that my path continues to have the least action?</p>
<p dir="auto">The answer to that question (although I haven\u2019t worked it out recently) must be that the motion has to satisfy the differential equations that the ball is computing.</p>
<p dir="auto">In other words, the theorems are \u201cAll solutions of these equations have this property\u201d and \u201call trajectories that have this property must satisfy these equations.\u201d</p>
<p dir="auto">\u2014 Barry</p>
<p dir="auto">On 14 Mar 2025, at 9:08, Barry MacKichan wrote:</p>
</div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 5px;padding-left:5px;border-left:2px solid rgb(119,119,119);color:rgb(119,119,119)"><div id="m_6133176032091684182793A3DBD-757C-4855-B7CE-0FD1B56E6F63">
<div style="font-family:sans-serif">
<div style="white-space:normal">
<p dir="auto">I don\u2019t see that there is any problem here. Suppose at some point the ball reasons as follows: I\u2019ve gotten to this point, and my trajectory so far is the one with the least action. What is the vector I should follow for the next</p>
<p dir="auto">On 12 Mar 2025, at 11:44, Pieter Steenekamp wrote:</p>
</div>
<blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 5px;padding-left:5px;border-left:2px solid rgb(119,119,119);color:rgb(119,119,119)">
<div id="m_6133176032091684182D865710C-F661-460C-9153-02FC79225C54">
<div dir="ltr">There's a *"nice"* layman\u2019s explanation of the principle of *least action* (<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZ1Ez28C-A)" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZ1Ez28C-A)</a>\u2014though I don\u2019t quite agree with it. (It does, however, include a rather neat explanation of quantum mechanics that I find useful\u2014but that\u2019s another discussion.) <br>
<br>
Back in engineering school, when calculating trajectories, we relied entirely on Newtonian mechanics, applying it so relentlessly in problem-solving that it became second nature. Later, I encountered the principle of *least action* and its claim to be more fundamental than Newton\u2019s laws. <br>
<br>
A common example used to illustrate this principle goes like this: <br>
If someone throws a ball from point A to point B, the ball *evaluates* all possible paths and then follows the one of least action. <br>
<br>
This framing presents a problem. Here\u2019s my perspective: <br>
If a person throws a ball from point A and it *happens* to land at point B, a post-mortem analysis will confirm that it followed the path of least action. But that\u2019s an observation, not a mechanism. <br>
<br>
The distinction is subtle but important. In both cases, when the ball leaves the thrower\u2019s hand, it has no knowledge of where it will land. Throw a thousand balls with slightly different angles and velocities, and they\u2019ll land in a distribution around B. Yet the layman\u2019s explanation suggests that each ball somehow *knows* its endpoint in advance and selects the least-action trajectory accordingly. <br>
<br>
I don\u2019t buy that. <br>
<br>
My view (and I welcome correction) is that the ball simply follows Newton\u2019s laws (or the least action laws) step by step. It doesn\u2019t *choose* a trajectory\u2014it merely responds to the local forces acting on it at every instant. Once it reaches its final position, we can look back and confirm that it followed the least-action path, but that\u2019s a retrospective conclusion, not a guiding principle. <br>
<br>
Ultimately, in this context, Newton\u2019s laws and the least-action principle are equivalent descriptions of the same physics\u2014neither requires the system to "know" its endpoint in advance.<br>
<div><br></div>
<div><br></div>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
<div style="white-space:normal">
<blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 5px;padding-left:5px;border-left:2px solid rgb(119,119,119);color:rgb(119,119,119)">
<p dir="auto">.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe / Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" style="color:rgb(119,119,119)" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" style="color:rgb(119,119,119)" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" style="color:rgb(119,119,119)" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives: 5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" style="color:rgb(119,119,119)" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
1/2003 thru 6/2021 <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" style="color:rgb(119,119,119)" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a></p>
</blockquote>
</div>
</div></div></blockquote>
<div style="white-space:normal">
</div>
</div>
</div>
.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe / Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives: 5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
1/2003 thru 6/2021 <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</blockquote></div>