<div dir="ltr">I want to share a few thoughts about the United States. I\u2019m not a supporter of Donald Trump, but I am a big supporter of the United States as a country. I admire the ideas of freedom, opportunity, and innovation that the U.S. represents. It honestly makes me a little sad that Americans don\u2019t seem to elect better leaders. Out of all the smart and capable people in that country, surely they can find someone more inspiring and responsible. But I suppose that\u2019s how democracy works\u2014people choose, and sometimes the results aren\u2019t great.<br><br>Even with leadership that I don\u2019t always agree with, I still think the U.S. is doing well overall. I believe the U.S. is still the best hope we have for a country that can lead the world in a positive direction. And to me, that leadership matters a lot\u2014especially because I wouldn\u2019t want to see a country like China, which doesn\u2019t value individual freedom or human rights, becoming the world\u2019s main superpower. Europe is important too, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s strong enough on its own to lead the free world. Maybe India could grow into that role someday, but right now, the U.S. is still our best hope.<br><br>That\u2019s why I get concerned when I look at the U.S. government\u2019s spending habits. Right now, they are spending much more than they earn in taxes, year after year. Over time, those deficits pile up into debt\u2014a very large amount of money that the country owes.<br><br>You might think: \u201cCome on, the U.S. is too powerful to fail.\u201d But that\u2019s not how money works. Even big, powerful countries can run into serious problems if they don\u2019t manage their finances well. And while I don\u2019t believe the U.S. is in danger of a crash tomorrow, it\u2019s clear that the growing debt and constant deficits are becoming a real problem.<br><br>Lynn Alden said it well in her latest newsletter (<a href="https://www.lynalden.com/june-2025-newsletter/">https://www.lynalden.com/june-2025-newsletter/</a> ):<br>&quot;We\u2019re not at the point where the debt or deficits are going to cause a massive train wreck any time soon. However, we are well into the era where the deficits do matter and have consequences.&quot;<br><br>In other words: No need to panic yet\u2014but we can\u2019t ignore the problem either.<br><br>If the U.S. wants to keep leading the world\u2014and I hope it does\u2014it needs to start taking its finances more seriously. The country is not \u201ctoo big to fail.\u201d And if it does stumble, the world could be left without strong and fair leadership. That\u2019s a risk none of us should take lightly.<br><br></div>