<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>thanks for the article</p>
    <p>I'm (?not?) surprised to learn (from this article and followups
      to it) about hyperscanning and the mature(ing) study of "<strong
        data-start="2624" data-end="2669">\u201cmulti-brain\u201d neuroscience</strong>,
      which treats social interaction as a <strong data-start="2708"
        data-end="2739">co-regulated dynamic system" </strong><span
        data-start="2708" data-end="2739"> but it is fascinating to
        discover that this is as quantitative as it has become and that
        folks are trying to effectively study collective/symbiotic
        cognition/intelligence/consciousness.</span></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/23/25 7:15 am, glen wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:b9f75694-ef0d-40d7-b2eb-9e1631b77db3@gmail.com">ERP-based
      interbrain causal model reveals closed-loop information
      interaction in interpersonal negotiations
      <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811925005440">https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811925005440</a>
      <br>
      <br>
      "This causal model provides a mechanistic explanation of how
      proposer-responder pairs perceive and adapt to each other\u2019s
      decisions, facilitating shared attention and behavioral
      coordination in reciprocal, asymmetric negotiations."
      <br>
      <br>
      On 10/10/25 11:55 AM, glen wrote:
      <br>
      <blockquote type="cite">Well, as a fan of ChatGPT, I'm sure you've
        submitted this article to it and have a ChatGPT-shaped extruded
        opinion of it. &gt;8^D I may have a similar one, having gotten
        analyses from Gemini and Claude. My initial worry was later
        identified by Claude, but not Gemini: no diversity analysis of
        the 384 undergrads ... not even male vs female numbers? Maybe I
        missed it, though I did look at the 2 Supp docs. I stopped short
        of researching estimates of diversity at Beijing Normal. Pffft.
        Both Gemini and Claude said their methods were high quality. Is
        it high quality to *not* report such things? No.
        <br>
        <br>
        Anyway, the analogy of their bipartite game with small scale
        organizations like teams and leagues is pretty good, I guess.
        Though not at all perfect. I'd argue that something like
        Dunning-Kruger would apply. We had a forward on our soccer team
        who seriously thought he was better at *everything* than every
        other player on the field. And, to be fair, he was better at
        everything *except* fairness. When he was allowed to dominate,
        we won. When he wasn't allowed (or wasn't playing), we did about
        average.
        <br>
        <br>
        But we all hated that m0th3rfvck3r, and his @ssh0l3 dad. But we
        won ... a LOT. So ... for a team of middle schoolers who weren't
        financially invested in the outcome of such games (yet we
        suffered privately at home when we lost a game, including both
        psychological and physical abuse) ... You tell me, what does
        "fair" mean?
        <br>
        <br>
        On 10/10/25 8:21 AM, Steve Smith wrote:
        <br>
        <blockquote type="cite">Listening to Trevor Noah in an extended
          interview (1:26:00) with Bernie Sanders "Who Owns America?" I
          was browsing my "to read" queue(s) and tripped over the
          following paper of relevance to a point Trevor was making
          about the inherent fairness in sports.
          <br>
          <br>
          Trevor and Bernie exchanged examples of how Shaq's physical
          prowess lead to new rules which handicapped his most acute
          capabilities and how Golf (of all socially irresponsible
          sports) uses the (literally named such) handicap system to
          allow individuals of widely different levels to (potentially)
          play together.
          <br>
          <br>
          I'm generally NOT a fan of either (organized-competitive)
          sports nor politics as they are practiced because despite all
          the aspirations and claims in both domains (what is Democracy
          if not an aspiration to fairness?) the dominant theme seems to
          be "how can I game the game?".   Which suggests that
          game-theory is the meta-level at which the dynamics can be
          studied (and adjusted?) to match our aspirations?
          <br>
          <br>
          More objective (and smarter) people here might be able to suss
          out more specific implications of this paper on the
          Socio-Economic-Political domain than I am here...
          <br>
          <br>
          <br>
              *Coordination of network heterogeneity and individual
          preferences promotes collective fairness*
          <br>
          <br>
             
          <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.cell.com/patterns/fulltext/S2666-3899(25)00141-2">https://www.cell.com/patterns/fulltext/S2666-3899(25)00141-2</a>
          <br>
          <br>
          <br>
                  Summary
          <br>
          <br>
              There are intensive debates about whether heterogeneous
          networks promote prosocial behaviors such as fairness and
          cooperation. Theoretical models predict that network
          heterogeneity plays a positive role, but this prediction has
          not been validated by experiments. We reconcile this debate by
          conducting experiments with two-stage ultimatum games on
          networks. In the first stage, we identify responders with
          strong fairness preferences, referred to as leaders. In the
          second stage, when leaders occupy high-degree nodes in a
          heterogeneous network, their ability to motivate fairness
          among neighboring proposers is amplified, and collective
          fairness is facilitated. We propose an evolutionary game model
          and an agent-based simulation framework that capture the
          microscopic mechanisms underlying the networked experiments.
          Our experiments, model, and simulations suggest that network
          reciprocity is achievable but requires coordinated
          interactions between different prosocial inclinations
          <br>
              of individuals and social network structures.
          <br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
        <br>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>