<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">Sorry,
      by Vocal Grooming, I mean this
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grooming,_Gossip_and_the_Evolution_of_Language">&lt;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grooming,_Gossip_and_the_Evolution_of_Language&gt;</a>
      not merely "vocal". [\u26e7] <br>
    </blockquote>
    thanks, I trust you are usually fairly precise in your
    language-intent.    One of the recent offerings I withdrew before
    sending here recently was on the business about "images" and
    aphantasia.   I am probably *hyperphantasic* but in a broad spectrum
    kinda way.  Some of my strongest "images" are not in the visual
    sensoria...  olfactory and proprioceptive and even something "in
    between" several sensoria which I identify as "textural" (up to and
    including your own claims/references about trypophobia).   I also
    find that my visuals are very intense by some measure but not very
    precise or stable.  If I "stare" too closely at any damn thing it
    skitters away like a dust mote or fades off as in the gloaming.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com"><br>
      Your defense of gridding the garden reminded me of road trips
      where you'd run across a tree farm or orchard where all the trees
      are perfectly lined up ... nauseating ... maybe akin to
      trypophobia, some deeply ingrained (false?) registration of
      toxicity. </blockquote>
    I didn't mean to actually "defend" gridding as in fact I don't
    really grid very much or well myself...   Permaculture principles
    (for what they are worth) make lots of good arguments against such. 
      I *did* form my garden area (when I first moved here) as a 60
    circle visible to the airplanes who use the nearby Otowi bridge
    (under VFR rules) as a waypoint.   I planted it the first year in
    "alternating sections" of winter-wheat/winter-rye, raising and
    lowering my tiller every 60 degrees as I spun around the concentric
    circles... unfortunately I counted wrong and it yielded 45 degree
    sections, so the "crop circle from space" I intended to look like a
    nuclear radiation hazard turned into a TV Test Pattern...    since
    then I have varied my tilling/planting quite widely... the most
    entertaining (to me) being building a "labyrinth" of
    plantings/paths...  It looked great when freshly
    wood-chipped/planted but went unruly pretty quickly.    Another time
    I thoughtlessly plowed under a couple of rotted pumpkins which
    yielded a huge botchy patch of pumpkin plants the next spring which
    by mid-summer yielded no end of squash bugs.  Fortunately that was
    the "year of the geese and chickens" who once directed did help
    knock them down to a reasonable count...   I avoided cucurbits for a
    a couple of years waiting for the sequestered squash bug eggs to
    maybe turn into microbe-food?   Haven't had many since.   Many of
    the 25 years I've been here, the garden was fallow, I haven't tilled
    in a decade (trying hard to channel <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/one-straw-revolutionary/?srsltid=AfmBOopLQ89ZazE9dC2zopo4qt-1H3SsHA-jesey50x_uT1ma2R7UgUE">masanobu
      fukuoka</a>, or just being lazy or both)...   This year it was
    mostly "chicken pasture" with a lot of wimpy cover/feed-crop stuff
    (lettuces, spinaches, turnips, beets, clovers, etc) which I
    under-watered and they ravaged and fertilized.   Pulled. a few of
    the uglier weeds. 
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">It also
      reminded me of Trump's claim that Finland rakes the forest.
      Granted, I recognize the satisfaction of Engineering, making the
      world in your image. My first real sense of that was the aircraft
      factory I got to walk through at Lockheed to get to the campus
      nurse for my drug tests. </blockquote>
    <p>You got to test drugs in college, cool!   I was fascinated by
      rivet-patterns on WWII planes as a kid.   I'd trace the outline of
      a plane from a book, then sit and ideate/imaginate the sheet-metal
      plates and the rivets holding them down.   A few decades ago I
      scored a c19 book on "rivet patterns for industrial boilers" which
      was quite comforting to look through and read snippets about the
      why and wherefore of various staggers and overlaps and such.  I
      gifted it to a friend's teenage son who is/was fascinated with
      mining and railroad tech (esp steam era) and was raised very
      effectively up and around an autism diagnosis.   I miss that book
      but am glad he is enjoying it in a similar way, alongside the
      "Ingenious mechanisms for inventors and designers" of the same era
      (levers and gears and springs oh my!).</p>
    <p>I probably have some kind of aberrant trypophobia, not precisely
      trypophilia but maybe more an inversion of the disgust/fascination
      response?</p>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">Watching
      all those robots do things like shaving aluminum blocks was
      transformative. Feynman's "what I can't create, I don't
      understand", ALife, and biomimicry all argue for a fuzzy boundary
      between science and engineering. I'm sure there are Dork tests out
      there similar to OCEAN that might ask whether you get in the flow
      more by staring at lichen or desoldering capacitors. <br>
    </blockquote>
    As much as I love the acrid smell of solder/flux, I do prefer a good
    lichen.  I've colleagues who are wicked-capable of racking/stacking
    gear and cable-dressing huge racks, etc...   not my thing really. 
     I can barely bring myself to coil hoses and extension cords when
    they are not in use.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com"><br>
      But it feels a bit like the built environment has hijacked
      "wonder". I have a Quine atom tattooed on my left hand.</blockquote>
    Does not surprise me.  Though I barely appreciate what such is.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com"> And
      it's a beautiful concept. But thinking about it's uniqueness under
      different systems feels very different from, say, watching a batch
      of baby spiders spread out to discover the world. </blockquote>
    We have (not quite-spider) daddy-longleg hatchouts in our
    bathroom... fortunately mary is as fascinated as I am, not rabidly
    eradicating them.   
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">I expect
      that the dopamine circuits being exercised are different. </blockquote>
    Another fascination to pursue (or not) in my own garden of many
    forking paths... thanks.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">Tech
      like AI, social media, gooning, etc. seems akin to alcohol or
      heroin. It hijacks your pleasure centers such that the rest of the
      world turns gray and boring. Conversing with a sycophant, even
      with the veneer prompt of "be argumentative", who never ghosts you
      (unless Cloudflare fails!)</blockquote>
    was that a DDOS?   
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">, never
      has its own agenda trying to coerce you into their domain (Hi
      Nick), </blockquote>
    and then the guy on the list here who entices you onto his lawn then
    runs out shouting "get off my lawn!"... 
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com">never
      dismisses your idea as a complete waste of time, etc. is a kind of
      hijacking ... very similar to professionally produced pornography
      or Hollywood movies where every woman is a bombshell and every man
      has a six-pack. Pffft. Gimme real sociality over parasociality any
      day. I've never really had a comfort zone and I'm not trying to
      find one now that I'm almost dead. <br>
    </blockquote>
    I like this phrase... I'm much more entranced by my own "now that
    I'm almost dead" (for many values of almost and dead) than ever
    before... and you helped add dimension to it along the way.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:9490606c-07d3-47b4-8d51-1375e1400f25@gmail.com"><br>
      Of course, we've tread this ground. There's a difference between
      factory farms and .... what was it? ... "husbandry"?
      "permaculture"? IDRemember. <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    mumble,
  </body>
</html>