<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Tx, I did read that article myself and it (also) whetted my appetite
    a bit for (yet more) abstractions about the emergence of systems,
    couplling and identity in that sense as well.
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:3D4AD05A-2500-4157-A652-E03A9E3C3AC4@santafe.edu">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      Hi Steve, 
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>This was the Wikipedia link Glen had in this paragraph, in
        the same post I replied to:</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>
        <blockquote type="cite" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
          <div lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple"
            style="overflow-wrap: break-word;">
            <div class="WordSection1" style="page: WordSection1;">
              <p class="MsoNormal"
style="margin: 0in 0in 12pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span
                  style="font-size: 11pt;">Changing gears a bit, I ran
                  across the "as if" personality &lt;<a
href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_disturbance"
                    style="color: blue;" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_disturbance</a>&gt;.
                  I can't help but wonder about a room full of agents
                  "concealing their inner emptiness, living *as if* they
                  had genuine feelings and desires." &gt;8^D I'm at risk
                  of Get-Off-My-Lawn, here. But 90% of the time, when
                  I'm in a room with more than, say, 5 people, it
                  *feels* to me like they're all philosophical zombies,
                  maybe me included.<br>
                </span></p>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
        <div>I don\u2019t know more than whatever I might have learned to
          parrot from reading that link\u2026.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>E</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
          <blockquote type="cite">
            <div>On Dec 2, 2025, at 12:35, Steve Smith
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:sasmyth@swcp.com">&lt;sasmyth@swcp.com&gt;</a> wrote:</div>
            <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
            <div>
              <div>EricS -<br>
                <br>
                I'd like to hear more on this tangent
                (identity-stability) in the broadest sense (my focus
                would be abstract markov blankets, active inferencing,
                "nearly decomposable systems") if possible.<br>
                <br>
                Not sure if the abstractions of emergent self-other can
                be reached from this discussion or not.<br>
                <br>
                <blockquote type="cite">Back to Glen\u2019s branch in the
                  above thread, I could probably imagine an analysis in
                  which some of these distinctions do propagate up to
                  how identity is formed, and whether or in what ways it
                  is stable or unstable, as in borderline personality
                  disorders and associated.  Or maybe not, and the
                  identity-stability question is a distinct matter (?).<br>
                  <br>
                  Anyway, thanks for patience or indulgence if anybody
                  read this far,<br>
                  <br>
                  Eric<br>
                </blockquote>
                <br>
                .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .--
                .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... .
                ..-. ..- .-..<br>
                FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
                Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays
                9a-12p Zoom
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&amp;c=E,1,614F30ECNYgyDc66kuLWhQykVSKqlBdNUOoZWy5-7iMCIrG33R64vRcENRBTDrmWIOc8DE2r1S-6TgF12lmWZXy3pRqEev506yKLAyGUeB7REPE,&amp;typo=1">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fvirtualfriam&amp;c=E,1,614F30ECNYgyDc66kuLWhQykVSKqlBdNUOoZWy5-7iMCIrG33R64vRcENRBTDrmWIOc8DE2r1S-6TgF12lmWZXy3pRqEev506yKLAyGUeB7REPE,&amp;typo=1</a><br>
                to (un)subscribe
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,87BdRDyxUBMbz922eWPUV8xEHJdEHpEjrHdccHcZfkflLzh0iJ-Xhm5d4eBM9gt7sgX7Wr4k2-U3QLC8tELCQSK1ECYvVN7TKwBWEO1a&amp;typo=1">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2ffriam_redfish.com&amp;c=E,1,87BdRDyxUBMbz922eWPUV8xEHJdEHpEjrHdccHcZfkflLzh0iJ-Xhm5d4eBM9gt7sgX7Wr4k2-U3QLC8tELCQSK1ECYvVN7TKwBWEO1a&amp;typo=1</a><br>
                FRIAM-COMIC
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,RxFh6vgv4wXCMJY2z2iBbcD_h2m6y216qvI38gd7R_z57SPgOGxGUEs538tTLVc62yv73BvkqPofnQlQWzG0QAsHhtD4cGBveY7KvheNyYYa&amp;typo=1">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2ffriam-comic.blogspot.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,RxFh6vgv4wXCMJY2z2iBbcD_h2m6y216qvI38gd7R_z57SPgOGxGUEs538tTLVc62yv73BvkqPofnQlQWzG0QAsHhtD4cGBveY7KvheNyYYa&amp;typo=1</a><br>
                archives:  5/2017 thru present
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,jsbHBWFZBXK9mCmUqALVK0J-fGtHzOJV67KWp25haLXO6dkx5wE9p0qIvPnR17b4SLvNpiVRgS3Oj9NQv3KIxDoiLAizGOx7jWl-Rlhy5Q,,&amp;typo=1">https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fredfish.com%2fpipermail%2ffriam_redfish.com%2f&amp;c=E,1,jsbHBWFZBXK9mCmUqALVK0J-fGtHzOJV67KWp25haLXO6dkx5wE9p0qIvPnR17b4SLvNpiVRgS3Oj9NQv3KIxDoiLAizGOx7jWl-Rlhy5Q,,&amp;typo=1</a><br>
                1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a>
to (un)subscribe <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a>
FRIAM-COMIC <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>