<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title></head><body><div style="font-family:Arial;">Hi, I'm Dave and I'm a read-aholic.</div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;">Fiction, if the pace is adequate, pretty much linear, let the author tell the story.</div><div style="font-family:Arial;">Non-fiction, non-linear.</div><div style="font-family:Arial;">Way more than half the time, multitasking, reading while watching news or sports, reading while walking (driving), three or four books open simultaneously.</div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;">Used to do hot tub reading a lot, but alas, can't afford it in this climate.</div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;">davew</div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div><div>On Tue, Jan 27, 2026, at 12:04 PM, Steve Smith wrote:</div><blockquote type="cite" id="qt" style=""><p>good (and very relevant to my own experience) thread...&nbsp;
      thanks...</p><p>I was an early and avid reader, with modes and subjects shifting
      through time and context.&nbsp; &nbsp;</p><p>I have shifted 99% of my fiction (text) consumption to audio and
      boosted my video fiction (4X) consumption significantly in the
      last 5-10 years for lots of reasons (social engagement, more free
      time).</p><p>Like Jon said, "reading was (once) pure play", I've replaced it
      with lower-engagement/demand alternatives which is a bit like
      replacing the episodic wild berries in my diet with pure sugar or
      maybe pixie-stix?&nbsp; Or maybe just candy-bars with *some* nuts and
      chocolate to buffer the power-hit of refined sugar?</p><p>Following Glen's point, I do read more non-fiction via linear
      (and resampled linear) text than I do fiction... and it is a mixed
      blessing.&nbsp; &nbsp;I've always enjoyed nonlinear/hyperlinked prose (e.g.
      browsing/tracing a dictionary/thesaurus/encyclopedia) as well as
      self-curation of tech/history material using ToC and Index
      navigation, but also highly value the author/editor's curation
      (what I think Marcus rankled at?).</p><p>(about) the only time I read much in significant linear batches
      is when I soak in my clawfoot tub.&nbsp; &nbsp;After a significant physical
      activity (usually chores) or during some mild illness (light
      flu/cold or taking a chill from exposure) I will settle into a
      long hot bath where I can sometimes read chapters and chapters
      from a book or some long-form journalism which I normally crash
      out of after 5-10 mins max.</p><p>Mary is much more capable of dropping into a book (still) despite
      the distractions and has not really shifted into audio-consumption
      of fiction.&nbsp; &nbsp;Her stack of "have read" grows monthly and
      reinforcing my "audio-forward" fiction, she reads aloud to me A)
      at bedtime; B) on short and long drives; C) when something is
      acutely compelling to her.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>I'm ashamed to admit that about all I have to offer in return to
      her is "being a good listener" and an occasional short-segment of
      an audio-book I've been listening to which is salient to whatever
      is afoot in the moment in the world or between us.&nbsp; &nbsp;My offerings
      are a fraction of the quantity (and quality?) of hers to me.</p><p>Too much of my reading happens from a screen (this one) and/but I
      can *barely* read from my TS (tiny-screen phone) which saves me in
      some ways (I spend less time staring at my palm than many) but not
      in others (when I'm staring at my palm I'm likely just reading
      headline-fragments)....&nbsp; &nbsp;</p><p>My (midlife-adult) children both read modestly, though both have
      commutes which have pushed them into audio (something I introduced
      them to on car trips as children).&nbsp; Both prefer Kindle-class
      screen-readers for portability/convenience but do still murder
      trees. ElderDotter before-child commuted 1hr each way by rail and
      read a LOT during that time.&nbsp; YungerDotter worked in our bookstore
      for a year while finishing her BA in Santa Fe which reinforced her
      appreciation for the used-book world, but the demands of parenting
      and careering and general adulting have cut into *their* reading
      time.&nbsp; &nbsp;YD commutes in a TSLA (FU Elon Musk!) but loathes the
      (f?)SD features and definitely doesn't Read While Driving (best I
      know)....&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>ED records/rates (most of?) her conquests on GoodReads (yes, I
      know, Bezos coopted that and is a dipshit for doing so) but does
      not review much if at all there.&nbsp; So I know she is consuming
      (possibly on audio but not exclusively) order 1-4 novels/nonfics a
      month, many of which I myself have already read and. few which I
      have been inspired to (esp. if Audio-available).&nbsp; &nbsp;Reading lists
      used to be an important part of my larger social fabric, now it is
      just with my familial and some professional intimates.</p><p>Mary's children are also mid-life/career readers still and some
      of their consumption habits bleed into my awareness through her (2
      are GoodReads rater/reviewers).&nbsp; One D-in-Law is the most eclectic
      (a big Jane Austen/Raymond Chandler/Agatha Chrisite fan who also
      reads AE. Van Vogt and jack Williamson interleaved with heavy
      shite on Cancer (she is Stage 4 6 years in now), as well as
      Feminist and Ethnic studies).&nbsp; She is a trained
      Librarian-Archivist&nbsp; which might explain her text-heavy
      orientation.&nbsp; She and the son-husband declare to consume all their
      news and politics and economics strictly through long-form
      journalism and I (mostly) believe them.&nbsp; He's a serious film-buff
      so the cinema he reports on is eclectic and arte-haus heavy.&nbsp; He
      broadens our watch list significantly.&nbsp; Sharing their diets
      as-such with us enhances our intergenerational coupling (gives us
      something to talk about besides Trump-Reviling, when we chat).</p><p>My grandchildren (all 2 of them) are less likely to be lifelong
      readers beyond the basics required by school and
      friend-networks... but I may be wrong... the parents
      offer/push/expose them to as much as makes sense in-context but
      tik-tok/video/"socials", etc are strong attractors of attention.&nbsp;
      &nbsp;My own shift from written text on paper to screens and linear to
      highly non-linear and from text to audio/video-narrative follows
      their pattern with a little more plasticity/inertial resistance
      than they naturally have.&nbsp; Mary's 2 (twin) grandchildren probably
      read more than their general peers (fairly screen-time restricted
      at 9 years old) and the boy, finally diagnosed Autism-Spectrum
      voraciously goes through topics like the Titanic, the Vietnam War,
      still illustration-heavy but concept/factiod dense.&nbsp; &nbsp;His social
      skills are not always helped by being encyclopedic in his latest
      obsession.</p><p>My dog does not read nor listen to synthesized audio nor watch TV
      (except through seideyez), although he is acutely aware of dogs
      barking, doorbell and knocking sounds coming from the TV as well
      as animal-shapes on TV (Dogs most acutely, cats sometimes, horses
      and other large mammals.&nbsp; &nbsp; Mary reads to him sometimes and he
      does alert to her (tone of) voice, but I don't think he's
      processing anything beyond "emotional content".&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Our mothers died with unfinished novels at their bedsides and our
      fathers barely read at all (Mary's was marginally illiterate, my
      own never bothered beyond Forestry and Grazing Journals in his
      early career).&nbsp; Our grandparents (except 1) might have been
      functionally/circumstantially illiterate with little time or
      available material to read though all finished 8th grade and two
      graduated a work-study hillbilly college in Geology.</p><p>I discuss way too much of my reading/listening with an LLM (re
      Jon's reference) to my benefit and demise methinks.&nbsp; &nbsp;Youse guys
      have to hear less of my reflections and observations that way,
      however.&nbsp; Net win?</p><p>Did I tell you about Daniel Boone, T.Jefferson, T. Roosevelt, G.
      Cleveland, H. Arendt, Wengrow&amp;Graeber, Sterling&amp;Gibson, et
      al?&nbsp; (off my very recent Audio-stack).&nbsp; &nbsp;</p><p>"TL;DR" is a bit too long even for a bumper sticker these days?</p><p>- Steve</p><div class="qt-moz-cite-prefix">On 1/26/26 5:05 pm, Jon Zingale wrote:</div><blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:CAH5Jek0S1uTM1ik5ik2NdvqbXhj5swqDy-tYtBrfD8ytcxJWfg@mail.gmail.com"><div dir="ltr"><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);">I
          remember loving the book "Last love in Constantinople". It is
          a fiction book that comes with instructions suggesting that
          the reader pull tarot using just the major arcana and then
          read the book's chapters in the derived order.</div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);">Lately,
          I almost never find the place in myself to settle into reading
          as deeply as I once enjoyed. When I would read a lot, I
          wouldn't stress at all about how I moved through or sat with a
          text, linear or not. Instead, reading itself was pure play.
          Much of that joy now feels alien to me, a faint dream.</div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);">I
          can remember feeling the transition away from being situated
          in deep focus as normal and into something much more reactive
          as the new normal. It's almost like I expect to be smacked in
          the back of the head at any moment. I feel as if my eyes are
          anxious not to waste anymore time where they are.</div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);">Occasionally,
          when I get a few days off from work, step away from my
          numerous obligations, get a few miles of running in, alternate
          between the sauna and the cold, I briefly find myself
          remembering what it was like to have a deeper reading
          practice.</div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></div><div class="qt-gmail_default" style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(51, 51, 51);">I
          delight in those rare moments where I find that I can sit with
          a math book, say, and have something I want to direct my
          attention toward, and I don't mind at all that the content
          undresses slowly. I don't even care that it would in some ways
          be more efficient to discuss the topic with an LLM.</div></div><div><br></div><pre class="qt-moz-quote-pre">.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a class="qt-moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a>
to (un)subscribe <a class="qt-moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a>
FRIAM-COMIC <a class="qt-moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a>
archives:  5/2017 thru present <a class="qt-moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a>
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  <a class="qt-moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a>
</pre></blockquote><div>.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..</div><div>FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv</div><div>Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp; Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom&nbsp;<a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a></div><div>to (un)subscribe&nbsp;<a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a></div><div>FRIAM-COMIC&nbsp;<a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com</a>/</div><div>archives:&nbsp; 5/2017 thru present&nbsp;<a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a></div><div>&nbsp; 1/2003 thru 6/2021&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com</a>/</div><div><br></div></blockquote><div style="font-family:Arial;"><br></div></body></html>