<div dir="auto"><div>I have an odd behavior which is to get angry with physical objects which hurt me or frustrate me. This includes calling them "bad names" which I never call humans or animals. Perhaps I should stop this behavior.</div><div><br></div><div data-smartmail="gmail_signature">---<br>Frank C. Wimberly<br>140 Calle Ojo Feliz, <br>Santa Fe, NM 87505<br><br>505 670-9918<br>Santa Fe, NM</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Apr 2, 2026, 7:48\u202fAM glen <<a href="mailto:gepropella@gmail.com">gepropella@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Up until the middle of the 2nd to last paragraph. [sigh]<br>
<br>
<a href="https://galenstrawson.substack.com/p/consciousness" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://galenstrawson.substack.com/p/consciousness</a><br>
<br>
cf also: <a href="https://galenstrawson.substack.com/p/david-hume-was-not-a-humean" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://galenstrawson.substack.com/p/david-hume-was-not-a-humean</a><br>
<br>
But I'm really into the phrase "terminological slum". I think I'd prefer a word other than "slum", though. It feels vaguely classist or something. Would anyone who lives in a slum call their neighborhood a "slum"? I guess that's kinda my litmus test. If the potential victims _own_ the term, maybe it's OK to use it. Having relatives who actually live in swamps, I'm OK with the abuse of that term. I also learned the word [duff](<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_floor" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_floor</a>) the other day. This is even more apt than swamp, I think. Of the parade of thinkers Strawson lists (Solms, Levin, Damasio, etc), my guess is they would be amenable to a kind of Delphi method for shrinking the terminological hull surrounding "consciousness". I bet if we tuned 100 or so LLM agents, each on one of these denizens of the duff, we could get them to disperse out into the ecosystem proper, some in the canopy, some deep in the soil, maybe eliminating the problematic moniker entirely.<br>
<br>
-- <br>
Ąs\u0131\u0279\u018e \u05df\u0131\u0250H \u22a5 \u0250\u05df\u05df\u01dddo\u0279 \u01dd u\u01dd\u05df\u0183<br>
\u1f45\u03c4\u03b5 oi \u03bc\u1f72\u03bd \u1f04\u03bb\u03bb\u03bf\u03b9 \u03ba\u03cd\u03bd\u03b5\u03c2 \u03c4\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u1f10\u03c7\u03d1\u03c1\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u03b4\u03ac\u03ba\u03bd\u03bf\u03c5\u03c3\u03b9\u03bd, \u1f10\u03b3\u1f70 \u03b4\u1f72 \u03c4\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u03c6\u03af\u03bb\u03bf\u03c5\u03c2, \u1f35\u03bd\u03b1 \u03c3\u03ce\u03c3\u03c9.<br>
<br>
<br>
.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..<br>
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv<br>
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe / Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom <a href="https://bit.ly/virtualfriam" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bit.ly/virtualfriam</a><br>
to (un)subscribe <a href="http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com</a><br>
FRIAM-COMIC <a href="http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/</a><br>
archives: 5/2017 thru present <a href="https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/</a><br>
1/2003 thru 6/2021 <a href="http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/</a><br>
</blockquote></div>