<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        mso-ligatures:none;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt'>I didn\u2019t have an allergic reaction to </span><span style='font-size:11.0pt;color:#212121'>Andreesen\u2019s remarks.   I took it roughly along the lines of Chris Cornell\u2019s \u201cThe Day I Tried to Live\u201d.  </span><span style='font-size:11.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>From: </span></b><span style='font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Friam &lt;friam-bounces@redfish.com&gt; on behalf of glen &lt;gepropella@gmail.com&gt;<br><b>Date: </b>Wednesday, April 8, 2026 at 8:44\u202fAM<br><b>To: </b>friam@redfish.com &lt;friam@redfish.com&gt;<br><b>Subject: </b>[FRIAM] phil zombies<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><span style='font-size:11.0pt'>[Silicon Valley innovates again!](<a href="https://www.theverge.com/tldr/897566/marc-andreessen-is-a-philosophical-zombie">https://www.theverge.com/tldr/897566/marc-andreessen-is-a-philosophical-zombie</a>)<br><br>Given the recent mention of philosophical zombies (mostly as a drive-by), and my skepticism about DaveW's pyschonautical advocacy (never mind the mysticism), I'm mostly interested in the idea that &quot;Whatever is happening to normal people as a result of AI overreliance has already happened to the ultra-wealthy&quot;. What I think some people call the &quot;reality distortion&quot;.<br><br>My own position is that reality can be distorted by many different (but perhaps not disjoint) processes. And were I inclined to take Andreesen's rhetoric seriously, I would try to generously suggest he's, like me, more episodic than diachronic. Some of us are prone to narrative, tell stories about our selves, painstakingly *place* each experience in a persnickety little spot in our mind palaces. I like calling this sort of thing high order Markovian ... very high order. And I'm jealous that I can't do it very well. In this sense, Elizabeth (and many on this list) have a power and a privilege that may be analogous to *wealth*, distorting the reality around her.<br><br>Introspection is hard, especially but not *exclusively* for those who must buy food and pay rent on a minimum wage job. Some of us, even if we're blessed to have our basic needs met, simply don't have enough cognitive power to do it. Andreesen may be one of us.<br><br>-- <br>¡s\u0131\u0279\u018e \u05df\u0131\u0250H </span><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Cambria Math",serif'>\u22a5</span><span style='font-size:11.0pt'> \u0250\u05df\u05df\u01dddo\u0279 \u01dd u\u01dd\u05df\u0183<br>\u1f45\u03c4\u03b5 oi \u03bc\u1f72\u03bd \u1f04\u03bb\u03bb\u03bf\u03b9 \u03ba\u03cd\u03bd\u03b5\u03c2 \u03c4\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u1f10\u03c7\u03d1\u03c1\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u03b4\u03ac\u03ba\u03bd\u03bf\u03c5\u03c3\u03b9\u03bd, \u1f10\u03b3\u1f70 \u03b4\u1f72 \u03c4\u03bf\u1f7a\u03c2 \u03c6\u03af\u03bb\u03bf\u03c5\u03c2, \u1f35\u03bd\u03b1 \u03c3\u03ce\u03c3\u03c9.<br><br><o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>