[FRIAM] Google self-evolving AlphaZero artificial intelligence program mastered chess from scratch in 4 hours: Rich Murray 2017.12.10

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Dec 11 11:58:20 EST 2017

Marcus wrote:

> Is a strategy anything more than a coarse-grained tactic?   And is
> intuition anything more than an associative memory that connects
> coarse- and fine- grained information?

Is it any more?  Or any less?

Learning is an iterated game that operates at many scales and on many
dimensions...

<TL;Don'tRead>

    The Biological Evolution record shows myriad explosions in quantity
    and diversity  that resulted from a (small? but) significant
    innovation (e.g. multicellular organisms, Eukaryotes,
    photosynthesis, oxygen metabolisms, vertebrae,  warm blooded
    metabolism, live birth, etc).   Punctuated equilibrium?

    There seem to be similar inflection points in the "learning" implied
    in human social/technological/economic evolution and we may be in on
    the shoulder of "yet another" which gestures in the direction of the
    von Nuemann/Vinge/Kurzweillian "technological singularity".

    I'm not much of a chess expert, myself, playing only *barely*
    competitively in my late teens (as Spassky and Fischer were dukingit
    out), and revisiting it in the pre-ALife era of "evolution, games,
    and learning" in the late 80s, along with GO.  Chess itself, as a
    "playing field" for learning strategy is a microcosm to observe the
    general idea of "learning".   The history of chess is fascinating.
    In the current context, it is fascinating that out of about 1500
    years of existence (in proto-forms), for a little over 500 of it,
    the rules have settled on what we use today, but the tactics and
    strategies developed *on top* of those has continued to  both
    *evolve* and *reflect* society at large.  Most notably, perhaps, the
    "Romantic Period" where one of the dominant ideas was that personal
    genius *and* style mattered more than theory or logic or even board
    positions.   This somewhat reflected the military and political
    style of that period.  During the "age of Enlightenment" it also had
    a moral embedding...  The "modern" era emerged with the industrial
    revolution and more importantly perhaps, the mechanization of war
    where chess strategy, now somewhat more "scientific" began to
    eventually give rise to "hypermodernism" which focus more on
    controlling the center of the board from afar (a parallel to
    mechanized warfare where power could be projected over a great
    distance in a short amount of time).   Algorithmic play and
    mathematical analysis has been considered since the late Romanitc
    period but didn't come into it's own  until the modern digital
    computer, with Claude Shannon taking an early swipe at the problem
    as early as 1950!   The fact that it took more than 50 years to get
    to Deep Blue's thin victory over Kasparov is more a testimony to how
    subtle and hard Chess is than how intelligent humans are, etc.

    "Deep Learning" itself seems like nothing more (and nothing less)
    than the latest innovation in machine learning (game theory, neural
    nets, cellular automata, genetic algorithms, learning classifiers,
    etc.) which *could* very well portend the breakaway point of the
    AI-driven technological singularity.  I'm not THAT up on "Deep
    Learning" but things like Generative Antagonistic Networks (and
    other unsupervised machine learning) seem to have the key quality of
    not needing supervision by humans to learn...  there may be one more
    level of indirection to be had before things go ape-shit
    (exponentially speaking)...

     I personally don't imagine that a *single* AI will be the source of
    this, but rather a Cambrian-explosion-like plethora of AI's, though
    they may be so pervasive and promiscuous as to cross-fertilize so
    thoroughly that they will be a single "organism" for all practical
    purposes.

</TL;DR>

- Steve