[FRIAM] Climate Change

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:12:43 EST 2017

And BTW, I don't merely mean "provoke", in a vapid way.  I still believe Trump and people like him, consciously or not, speak in ways such that the audience or other discussants will fill in the blanks, themselves (as Lakoff pointed out).  Similar techniques are "dog whistling" and poetry.  This is one of the reasons so many people prefer one-on-one meetings over groups.  The larger the group, the more difficult it is to rely on this sort of invocation.  I posit that it's also the cause of the dissonance long-term friends of Trump have experienced since the start of his campaign.  One-on-one, Trump probably seems like a pretty nice person ... because his comm. style is an adaptive invocation.

I had a boss like this once.  I consistently irritated him by taking notes and bringing up topics we'd previously discussed in private, at staff meetings.  He hated it.  But the staff loved it.

I'm a bit torn whether or not "evocation" is a more fitting concept, though.  But evocation seems to imply a shared understanding between the parties.  Invocation seems to allow cautionary tales ... like don't play with black magick and such ... the demon might escape the pentagram you drew on the floor.

--
☣ uǝlƃ