[FRIAM] Climate Change

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 22:57:52 EST 2017

Steve, I had hoped for awhile that climate change studies would yield the
possibility of a truly transdisciplinary breakthrough in complex systems
modeling, rather than the interdisciplinary effort you recall that provided
"useful checks and balances" on academic honestly.  I take it from the
thread that my hope has not yet been realized.  Big sigh.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Steven A Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> wrote:

> Pieter -
>
> I think Eric responded extremely well to the actual gist of the (bent)
> thread on Climate Change as it was elaborating.
>
> The (thread's subject) question of whether there is significant
> anthropogenic climate changes underway, the extent of them, how bad the
> consequences are likely to be (or already are) to the biosphere, humans,
> more vulnerable (coastal,  limited access to technology, etc.)
> populations, and whether "we" care are not are all somewhat different
> (if related) questions.
>
> It doesn't surprise me at all that a very low order (linear) model
> (average global (surface?) temperatures) might be this far off... the
> fact that the sense (if not the magnitude) bore out is not insignificant.
>
> When I worked with LANL scientists (oceonographers, atmospheric
> scientists, biologists) in the mid 90's who were trying to build,
> couple, resolve disparate models from these domains to the data (and one
> another), there was very little willingness among them to make any
> strong statement suggesting climate change (much less warming in
> particular).   It was simply too new of a discipline and the data and
> models still seemed way too scant to say as much as *most* of them.
> The inflection (see Marcus' post) in greenhouse gas concentrations began
> about WWII, just 50 years after internal combustion engines were
> invented and had only just begun to have widespread use (especially
> outside of the first world) and i 1990, that trend was a mere 40 years
> old... it is now 70.... quite a bit more data to work with?
> Computational science was not new in 1990, but computing power/scale and
> the general science of predictive modeling has made some very
> significant advances in this last 30 years.
>
> Since you work in predictive modeling, you know how hard it is to get
> meaningful results.   In Engineering, we have a *LOT* more control over
> the variables...  so are more able to make meaningful/useful
> predictions.   The evolving global scale biosphere is about as open and
> difficult to establish controlled experiments with as I can imagine...
>
> I worked with another (multi-institutional)group of Scientists who were
> studying Climate Change around 2009.   There was no longer much
> (expressed) doubt among them or their colleagues as to whether data
> supported a strong positive correlation between climate change and
> greenhouse gas concentrations.  If anything, they seemed to have much
> more sophisticated notions of *where* all that might take the climate,
> which included the possibility of tipping into another (mini?) ice age.
> We were studying THIS group to try to understand how new fields emerged
> in Science (NSF grant) and in this case, the opportunities for synergy
> where scientists from one subdomain had useful understandings that
> scientists in other domains could use.   As since each domain had to
> *explain itself* to the others to be effective, they provided a certain
> [...]

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609