[FRIAM] Downward causation

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 19 11:49:01 EST 2017

Ahh!  Thanks Roger.  That blows some life into it for me.  Is watching a bean plant grow in time lapse an example of coarse-graining?  So let’s imagine we are watching such an image and we notice that the plant “reaches for the sun”.  (I.e., we move the light around and the plant follows it as it grows.)    Now let’s also imagine (ex hypothesis, mind you!) that the plant puts out extra roots on the opposite side to stabilize it.  I would call that top-down causation, I guess.

I dunno.  Anything that comes out of SFI is kind of ink-blots for me.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/