[FRIAM] AI and argument

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Oct 3 19:23:55 EDT 2017

"During the exchange, my friend committed https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority.  I tried to stop them by calling out the fallacy.  That didn't work.  They accused me of condescension. [sigh]  So, I asserted that I would counter-argue by *also* appealing to authority.  And it worked!  My friend acquiesced.  As usual, the meta-ness of the discussion (appealing to authority while arguing about methods of arguing) was lost on everyone."

But if they must appeal to authority, and so many people on all sides so often and so desperately want to, that authority could be a computer.   At least there is some hope of persuading a computer a proposition is wrong and why.    I can live with giving them what they want.

Marcus