[FRIAM] Truth: “Hunh! What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!”

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 14:41:24 EDT 2017

Ach!  I don't mean to play a game.  I come by my deafness honestly, as anybody who has sat with me at FRIAM will attest.

Is it really the case that people have said, "By truth I mean ...." and I have missed it.  If so, I do apologize.

Taking up your challenge as penance:  A Naïve realist would, I suppose, say that there is a real world out there that we have clues to.  Sometimes we get it right; sometimes we get it wrong.  It's a dualist position because there are two kinds of stuff in the world, the world stuff out there and the mind stuff in here.  Truth can apply to both kinds of stuff.  I E, there is a truth-of-the-matter with respect to what you think or what I think, as well as a truth of the matter with respect to whether what we think is true of the world.

As for Hoffman, I don't know.

Nicholas S. Thompson