[FRIAM] KRACK

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Oct 21 12:59:01 EDT 2017

Nick writes:

"I hope at some point you will let us civilians know what we should do about this.  Other than cringing in abject terror, of course."

You can subscribe to one of these..

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

This will involve pressing a Connect button before using the Internet.   The channel will be encrypted, so that a wiretap (without the wires) it will only show gibberish.

Or download the software at www.torproject.org<http://www.torproject.org>

Tor takes more extensive measures to both encrypt your connections and also to make it very difficult to track you.  The cost of this is that it is slower.  A VPN is less noticeable in this regard.

As Glen points out, there are other kinds of wireless access that are easy to overlook such as when a smartphone switches from LTE to Wifi, Kindle/Tablet browsing, Amazon Fire sticks, wireless cameras, and so on.   There are VPN app for smartphones too.

Then there is another option which is to buy a big estate and put a moat around it.   That doesn't stop drones, though.   A moat and a plexiglass bubble, then.   Oh, and watch out for boring machines too from well-equipped people like Elon Musk and El Chapo.

Marcus