[FRIAM] death

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Oct 28 18:42:52 EDT 2017

Glen -

I think the topic of death in it's broadest sense is very apropos of an
Applied Complexity discussion group, here is what came up for me off the
cuff:

Life itself is nothing if not "complex" by any measure or meaning of the
term?  Even me, trying hard to live "a Simple Life".

Certainly the biosphere in it's totality has a fascinating complexity in
quantity as well as quality and despite orders of magnitude in quantity
(organisms as well as species, organs/organelles, etc) most entities
would qualify for the same.   I find estimates for the number of species
today on the order of 10M and over the history of the planet, perhaps 3
orders of magnitude larger (5B?), beginning around 5B years ago, with
plenty of variation *within* a defined/identified species.  This doesn't
even consider the sheer *count* of individual organisms over that time.
And within a single organism (e.g. human) there might be 10-100 trillion
cells with dozens of major cell types (and thousands of sub-types?) and
order 100 million proteins, 1 trillion molecules, or 100 trillion atoms
per cell.  Estimates of the human microbiome are as high as 10x human
cells representing a minimum of 1000s of species of bacteria, fungus,
archae and virii!   The proteomic/molecular/atomic numbers above may or
may not include the full microbiome.  And this doesn't include the
myriad possible protozoa, worms, lice, scabies, etc that might inhabit a
human body.   And amongst all of this quantitative complexity, there is
a staggering qualitative complexity.   Not only are the human cells
linked in a dance of anabolic and catabolic metabolisms, of hormonal,
histamine, and immunological processes, but the full biome insinuates
itself in this inner "ecology".

Not only is this a lot of LIFE, but also a lot of DEATH.   Clonal colony
species (such as Aspen trees, various fungii) might have lifespans of
many tens of thousands of years and some microorganisms have been found
to have much longer lifespans, though often through long-term dormancy.
Some endoliths might have been actively metabolizing (albeit slowly?)
for order 10,000 years?   Individual plants (trees most notably) are
known to have lifespans of several thousand years, and some individual
animals might have lifespans of hundreds of years.  There are a few
organisms with apparent (or relative?) immortality.   Some bacteria and
yeast can apparently divide forever, as do hydra, some flatworms, and
some jellyfish.  The most complex organism to appear to have
self-regenerating/repairing telomeres is the Lobster but they eventually
die from size...  the metabolic demands of moulting eventually kills
them (tens of years) if they don't get eaten first.   Germ Cells, STEM
cells, and some cancer cells are effectively immortal as well.
Everything else dies of senescense and of course, everything is subject
to death from outside causes as well (mechanical, thermal, chemical,
radiative, or biological insults).

And death of an individual is *fairly* abrupt... comas, suspended
animation, and similar aside.   Cessation of neural activity , autonomic
functions like cardio pulmonary circulation usually stop abruptly.  Even
cell metabolism endures for only a few minutes. But other processes
(especially among the human biome) continue all the way into full decay
unto composting (if allowed).

Natural Selection would appear to require ubiquitous death (although
simple separation of population is another mechanism, think radical
diaspora like star-seedships) but that only makes it "useful" not
"necessary"?    In any case, Death of the individual appears to be
inevitable, along with Taxes (or in the NM tourism industry, Texans).

Spiritualists would suggest that "life exists in the spirit or the soul"
and when it leaves the body, death ensues (or vice-versa).  Few agree on
where said "soul" or "spirit" resides when not in the body.   Like
Phologiston or Aether, the Soul and it's various out-of-body residences
might well be just a familiar construct to make the unexplainable
familiar?   It appears to be a key to religions to explain the miracle
of death, even more critically than the miracle of life?  Life
after/beyond/outside-of death is a common thread...  reincarnation,
heaven/hell/purgatory, valhalla, elysian fields, etc?   It appears to
exist to relieve the individual from having to contemplate EL FIN.

When we consider "birth" or "conception" or "embryology" it isn't clear
to me where the "Emergence" happens (if any?), but death is intuitively
the *opposite?* of emergence?  When two gametes meet (sperm/ova pollen)
there is a clear progression of self-organization into a
(mostly)scheduled diversity.  Similarly biomes exist in a diverse,
self-organized complexity of their own.   The boundary of "self" for a
given organism (or organ or organelle) is probably more clear than that
of a biome or ecosystem, but that might be a subjective observation?
Senescense is the (presumed inevitable) decline of life toward death and
appears to be pervasive, even ubiquitous if not entirely unavoidable.

The Singularians, most notably (IMO) Ray Kurzweil, believe that in a
*transcendent* singularity where individual human
intelligence/consciousness can become immortal through technological
advances, in particular in AI, but also in bio/nano technology.   It
seems like a natural (if not noble?) enough fascination, to imagine that
personal death itself is not an absolute.   Are there philosophical ( or
even moral )reasons NOT to seek immortality?  We already exercise quite
a bit of life-extension, is there some logical (ethical?) limit to be
found in this?  Is this movement just /Manifest Destiny/ revisited on
cosmic scale?

The question of death (and life?) is inextricably tied to *identity*.
Is a clone of me, me  (Michael Keaton's Multiplicity)?  If the Starship
Enterprise's matter transmitter fails to dematerialize the source "me",
is the target "copy" still "me"?    Do I live on through my extended
phenotype (my estate of wordly possessions), through my progeny, my
academic/professional/personal legacy?   If I have a brain trauma
yielding amnesia, do "I" still exist?

What is Identity in a (non-living?) Complex System?  Do
hurricanes/tornados birth, live and die?  Attractors?   Solitons? Do
they have identity?   Will we all mourn the passing of Jupiter's Great
Red Spot (if we outlast it?) and does Saturn's (apparently) recurring
Great White Spot have identity?  Is it the same spot?

Is life itself somehow dependent on/defined by the "punctuated
equilibrium" of birth, life, senescence, death?

When does life/consciousness/??? "emerge", or is it just a "bounce"
through sexual reproduction similar to the imagined "bounce" of which
our "big bang" is the most recent?

Inquiring minds want to know...

- Steve