[FRIAM] death

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Oct 28 19:13:27 EDT 2017

"I believe that the death of the fly was both insignificant and a kind of catastrophe.  And I believe that about the deaths of frogs and pigs too, and about my own death, and yours."

Is there reason to think that flies' lives are different in some way?   Or that the death of one impacts a food or communication web or unreasonably wastes energy?

Other flies will make more.  Using gene drives to eliminate a species is a bigger step, and that could impact food webs.   Is that a bad thing to do?  Why?

One difference between flies and pigs and humans is progressively deeper development of each, if for no other reason than lifespan.   Paradoxes there too:   My fondness and loyalty to my 12 year old dog was deeper than it is for many humans. (Fat chance I'd send a 75-year-old, racist, redneck, Joe-the-Trump voter thousands of dollars for cancer treatment.)   If it is depth of development that matters, then as a society we ought to invest more in retired people as their uniqueness is deeper and also more fragile.    But instead we celebrate births even thought infants are mere hardware that won't have consciousness for months after birth.

How is helping ones' tribe any different than the flies reproducing?   So long as the tribe doesn't lose too many members, they will make more.   Why does it matter if they do or they do not?   If the tribe produces art, culture, or technology and that is bigger than the tribe, then one isn't just investing in the tribe, one is investing in something bigger.   If a group have members that die, but their experiences are captured in the these `other things', then what is the catastrophic about the death?   There is minimal information loss.

Marcus