[FRIAM] Enlightened Self Interest: was Help for texas

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 13:51:18 EDT 2017

I found this essay interesting:

Why the Greatest Advocates of Nonviolence Didn't Condemn Anti-Racist, Anti-Fascist Acts of Violence
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/41902-why-the-greatest-advocates-of-nonviolence-didn-t-condemn-anti-racist-anti-fascist-acts-of-violence

It loops back on our conversation about bringing tasers to protests as well as my question to Merle about Hinduism vs. Buddhism and "Dharma himsa tathaiva cha", or violence in the service of Dharma.  Being of an "interactivist" bent, I don't believe one can understand anything without manipulating it.  The objective observer is a convenient fiction.  This came up quite a bit in relation to the recent "March for Science".  Should scientists really be marching?  What are they marching for?  It's also relevant for politics, this tendency for people to call themselves "apolitical" or to say they don't like or pay attention to politics.  Personally, I think everyone is political, though they may lie to themselves and believe they're not.  That's why I take the opportunity, at every chance, to talk about both religion and politics ... especially when someone proscribes it.  I was playing horse shoes at the neighborhood picnic with a stranger and I made some comment about our Liar-in-Chief Trump.  He said something like "Uh-oh, you just said something political."  So, I took the opportunity to tell him that I don't believe in God, either. 8^)  And he told me his wife is an atheist!  It's rare a thing to get a non-atheist to admit they're married to an atheist.  The trick is to make it clear that Everything is permitted.  Do what thou wilt is the whole  of the Law. >8^D  But don't complain when you get punched for, say, acting like a Nazi.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ