[FRIAM] Pacifism: was Enlightened Self Interest: was Help for texas

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Sep 13 19:26:53 EDT 2017

Steve,

A pacifist, when confronted with a person that physically coerces another, will only exercise non-violent, indirect, remedies to stop that.   Yes?  And typically, the state has exclusive use of violence, so if a state goes off the rails, there may not be any remedy without that some consensus.  The possibility that an individual will violate the the law or behave in an `anti-social' way and "presume to know what their context and choices are better than they do" may be all that prevents the accumulation of power by dangerous individuals.   It seems like you are equating violence with having the courage of ones' convictions.

Marcus