[FRIAM] "ecological"

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:30:20 EDT 2017

On 09/18/2017 10:31 AM, Merle Lefkoff wrote:
> She's Gregory Bateson's daughter--and that should give you a clue as to the depth and breadth of her investigation into systems theory.

Thanks.  It does not really give me a clue (my own inadequacies, of course).  I'm wondering if there's a mystical homunculus underlying people's use of the word "ecological".  I plan to attend this:

Infusing Indigenous Wisdom
http://www.pulltogethernow.org/indexindex.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7

(I may not make it because there are 2 ... count them TWO! ... Oktoberfests competing for my attention this weekend ... Hm, drink malty beer and listen to Polka or drink coffee and listen to Native Americans describe how they think our modern mechanical thinking is inadequate?)

But the gists of all 3 things seem to be of the same theme ... a theme I care about.  Systems theory (and complex systems, and a slew of proximal constellations of woo) smacks of something like vitalism or perhaps panpsychism.  My own homunculi brawl with each other on at least a weekly basis, mainly The Mechanist vs. The Mystic, but other humunculi jump into the fray on a regular basis.  I'm particularly fond of Spinoza's excursions around modality.

Speaking of which, does anyone have access to a copy of this article they'd be willing to share:

Monists & Nazis: a question of scientific responsibility
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.2307/3560820/abstract

I figure since we have some self-expressed monists, here, I might get lucky.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ