[FRIAM] The Last Mile, again

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 00:24:06 EDT 2018

Steve,

Thanks So much.  Can you explain the following  passage in greater detail?
What do you mean by "over-subscription".

The bad news is not too bad.  First,  They can't be promising 0%
oversubscription of bandwidth... that would be prohibitively expensive and
excessive for the type of utilization  a collection of (part-time?)
homeowners would need.   Their level of oversubscription (in theory and in
reality) is what will make or break your real bandwidth.   If I read you
correctly they are offering 25Mbps down and 3Mbps up?    I'm not sure what
the range of oversubscription is, but I've heard on the order of 4x to 32x
with the former being very rare and usually only during a startup phase
before a service actually connects enough customers to begin to consume the
bandwidth.

That seems to be what they are promising.  See my answer to Gary, just sent.
The said that they had contracted for a 1 gig pipe and that that would take
care of anything subscribers could throw at them.  I didn't make any sense
to me, but perhaps I just misunderstood.  If I understood the units, 40
users could exhaust I G if they all got on at the same time.  I assume we
are talking about Mega/Giga per second here.  So to carry out the promise as
I heard it, they would have to have a 1 gig pipe for every 40 users and they
are talking about 100-200 users to begin with.  So, is that what you mean by
"over-subscription":  the number of paid subscribers who would be left out
if everybody tried to get on simultaneously at full speed?

What questions should I be asking them?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>