[FRIAM] looking for a word

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sat Aug 18 03:06:28 EDT 2018

They say Germans have a word for everything because we can chain words together like pearls on a string. In German I would say "Netzwerkverzweigung" (network-branching/bifurcation) or "Netzwerkverdichtung" (network-consolidation/concentration). In one case the density decreases, in the other case it decreases. Something like that, but it is not a perfect fit.  
- Jochen

-------- Original message --------From: uǝlƃ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 8/17/18  19:47  (GMT+01:00) To: FriAM <friam at redfish.com> Subject: [FRIAM] looking for a word 
I need a word (or short phrase) to refer to the portion of a network where the edges converge or diverge (more than other parts of the network.  Examples might be a river delta or the branching (debranching?) of blood vessels or lungs.  "Plexus" or "knot" don't work because they could ambiguously refer to something like a tapestry or ... well, a knot, where each thread remains separate, but winds around other threads.  Something close to "canalization" seems appropriate. But I don't want to imply the generation (or dissolution) of the thing.  E.g. [arter|ang]iogenesis are not the type of words I'm looking for.

There's got to be a good word for such, perhaps from graph theory or "network theory".  Any help will be rewarded by an IOU for a pint of beer. 8^)

☣ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Meets Fridays 9a-11:30 at cafe at St. John's College
to unsubscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/ by Dr. Strangelove
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20180818/9be97bce/attachment.html>

More information about the Friam mailing list